Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Twins Sign Matt Guerrier to Minor League Deal

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some reason, I always thought Guerrier was a real warrior.

2. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (01-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Hey is Jacque available for a minor league deal?

True there's no downside for the Twins by this.

And I trust Terry Ryan as a scout. But collectively, there's something a little off key about bringing back all these former Twins from the glory years. Don't people have that sense or am I imagining things? I will count Pelfrey in that group-I am happy to have him back but he was practically begging on hands and knees to come back here. Why?

I can't exactly put my finger on why these ex Twin deals are starting to feel redundant or desperate or whatever, but I will back johnnyd on this! If a couple of these guys perform and help us get back to winning, I will be happy to eat my words.
    Excellent post. I posted on this a month ago, and predicted this and Santana still to come. This appears to be by design- sort of the opposite marketing objective of the "The Twins...Get to Know 'Em" campaign in the 90s.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the opposition to signing Guerrier at all. He isn't that far removed from being an effective short reliever. At 35, he isn't really all that old for a relief pitcher. It is a minor league deal, and he isn't going to be taking up all that many innings this spring that should be going to somebody else. Heck, usually the Twins sent the 40 man guys who aren't going to make the roster to the minor league camp early so if they get hurt in ST they won't have to be carried on the ML DL. So there will likely be innings.

If he really looks good this spring and makes the team, it probably means that Pressley or Tonkin or both get AAA seasoning, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he doesn't make the team, he is cut or goes to AAA for a month or 2. If there is need he could be called up, more likely he is released by June no matter how he is pitching in AAA.

There is very little downside to any of this, maybe some marginal prospect is held back in AA for awhile longer than he would be otherwise. Maybe a kid who could be in the majors like Pressley spends some time in AAA, which again isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

It does sort of look like those who are complaining about this signing, are looking pretty hard for a reason to complain about Ryan.

5. These 2 users like Jim H's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

brvama (01-29-2014), Otwins (01-29-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    I don't think anyone is really against this signing. It just makes you sort of roll your eyes since we have also signed Bartlett and Kubel and there are still the Johan rumors.

7. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many players struggle when entering the majors. It will take an investment of many plate appearances or innings. The pay off is a useful, inexpensive player 2 years down the road.

Every inning or at plate appearance given to Kubel, Guerrier or Bartlett is also a lost opportunity to invest in a younger struggling player. Is Tonkin the 2016 closer? Who knows? It will be less likely if he is in AAA and Guerrier is pitching in the 7th inning. Where would would Parmelee be if he had 1000 plate appearances at this point in his career? No one knows. He sat while Doumit played for two 90+ loss teams. I am certain that the Twins would know whether to invest any more at bats in him had he received consistent playing time.

9. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (01-30-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett, Kubel and Guerrier are a little different than a lot of typical minor league signings. Kubel hit 30+ homers in 2012. He's not old. Guerrier has had a long career of being a very solid 7/8 inning guy. Bartlett obviously had a couple really solid years and can play a position where the Twins do have a need. All three are legit big leaguers coming off of injuries. If these guys are playing, they're not a downgrade.

Nobody wants a talented young player to come up and DH, so Kubel makes a lot of sense. So many think Tonkin is ready, but he's had very little success above AA. Wouldn't hurt him to get some time. Danny Santana isn't nearly ready, so Bartlett makes sense if he's healthy.

Are any of them sure things? Of course not. But if one of them contributed heavily to the Twins, that would be tremendous! Considering these three signings and Johan Santana, my thought is that Santana would contribute the least of the four in 2014.

11. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (01-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In response to this situation, 'best post ever' in the comments section by someone who calls himself "Monkey Revolution", well worth clicking over for a chuckle or two:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...#disqus_thread

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Bartlett, Kubel and Guerrier are a little different than a lot of typical minor league signings. Kubel hit 30+ homers in 2012. He's not old. Guerrier has had a long career of being a very solid 7/8 inning guy. Bartlett obviously had a couple really solid years and can play a position where the Twins do have a need. All three are legit big leaguers coming off of injuries. If these guys are playing, they're not a downgrade.

Nobody wants a talented young player to come up and DH, so Kubel makes a lot of sense. So many think Tonkin is ready, but he's had very little success above AA. Wouldn't hurt him to get some time. Danny Santana isn't nearly ready, so Bartlett makes sense if he's healthy.

Are any of them sure things? Of course not. But if one of them contributed heavily to the Twins, that would be tremendous! Considering these three signings and Johan Santana, my thought is that Santana would contribute the least of the four in 2014.
    Excellent points. I also think the idea of aging veterans blocking younger players is a bit of a myth. Yeah, there are obvious cases where the veteran received unwarranted support. But, for the most part, when the younger player is ready, he'll beat out the veteran. Suppose Guerrier is a solid reliever for a half a season while Tonkin closes games at Rochester. If Tonkin is clearly better, you can trade Guerrier for a prospect and bring Tonkin up. It's not as though Tonkin's development will be stunted.

Chris Parmelee was given an extended look for two consecutive years. In both years, he had an OPS+ of 84. It might only be 631 plate appearances, but it's enough to know he's probably not going to be a star. Oh, by the way, the guy who replaced him put up a 102 OPS+ as a 22 year old. He actually has a chance to be a star. And, if Kubel beats Parmelee in ST for DH, fine. Because Kubel actually was a star, and has a chance to return to that level.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

I hope he is still underrated.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    If they contribute, that's great. I actually like Guerrier's signing the most (of the ex Twins).

Here's another idea. So how would people feel if in late May or June Kubel is providing some offense, Bartlett is helping the club, Guerrier is in the pen, and then the Twins hit the skids again and drop 12 games under .500? It's hypothetical so no need to answer. It would lead to some uncomfortable PR, but even worse, it does disrupt the development of younger guys and does kind of clog the roster. I don't think that's completely a myth. I just don't know why Terry signs all of these particular guys en masse under these circumstances and opens himself to that possibility. Well, we shall cross that bridge if we come to it (and hopefully we don't).

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    True snow is white, but snow is also black.
    The Philosophy Of Anaxagoras. I learned something today, by Googling.

I did not learn anything today by reading complaints about a minor league signing.

17. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (01-30-2014), James (01-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    In what disjointed universe was Kubel a "star"?

19. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Thrylos (01-30-2014)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This appears to be by design- sort of the opposite marketing objective of the "The Twins...Get to Know 'Em" campaign in the 90s.
    Thanks for that, pretty darn funny. 2014 - "The Twins... You Already Know 'Em!"

21. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (01-30-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Mediocre old guy, or young guy with upside who still has to learn....which would you rather watch in MN or Rochester? If he's mediocre/bad, and goes to Rochester, does a young guy stay in AA that could move up? Does that delay his appearance in MN when he's needed? Those are the possible downsides, imo. Not sure any of them come to fruition, but to imply there is no downside to filling AAA with old guys, as opposed to younger players with upside, well, that seems off to me. There is always downside risk in any move or non-move.
    C'mon, mike. We can all dream up unlikely scenarios to make something sound bad. Depth is a GOOD thing. I think it says a lot in the positive that the Twins have been able to get guys that have been competent major leaguers to come in on minor league deals. Even if Guerrier pitches in AAA, there are other fringe minor leaguers that can be let go if a prospect needs to be moved up.

You seem to like your prospects in Minnesota yesterday just about no matter what though, so I'm not sure you'll ever be satisfied through that prism...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Unlikely? Do you recall Bartlett sitting in the minors while an old, bad player continues to play?

Different fans like different things. That doesn't make any of us wrong. Liking a team and rooting for them is irrational. So there is no really wrong way to be a fan. I would rather pay to watch young guys with upside on a bad team, than I would to watch old guys with no future on a bad team. I don't get how that makes me bad/evil/wrong kind of fan. Just different than you or some others.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Not saying it makes you a bad fan at all, just different, like you said. This team absolutely needs depth though and this is a no-risk, no-money way to do that. I'd rather see Guerrier come up to pitch if needed than some poor kid who isn't ready while burning option years with the potential to actually harm his development more than help. Not many examples of any decent prospects that never made it to MLB because they were blocked for eternity. Might not be as soon as you'd like, but talent always rises to the top...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I don't worry about option years for relief pitchers. Thanks for the polite respone, btw. Sometimes when we disagree here (we meaning all of us), it isn't always polite.

I also don't share the worry about relief pitchers having their development stunted as much as you, but I get that concern.

Again, I'm not saying something bad is likely to happen. I just don't agree that the downside risk (for this year and the future) is as small or non-existent as others. I also don't really see the upside, frankly. People say not to sign Drew, because he's not going to help the team compete, but are good signing a 35 year old reliever that is likely to be used in inning 5 or 6 given the current pen? I would rather they roll the dice on young guys. I can see the other side of the argumet.

Finally, I think that if this was an isolated instance, I'd probably not comment on it. But with Kubel and Bartlett also being signed? I don't like the strategy much. I'm actually more worried Bartlett is up here, blocking Escobar, than I am about Matty Ice blocking Tonkin.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    I do get where you're coming from. I'd point to last year as an example of what can happen when you don't have depth. Poor Aaron Hicks is forced to struggle for far too long at MLB because there truly weren't any other real options. Last year was a lost cause for him, possibly (likely?) as a direct result. Very possible his development was harmed, not helped, by being forced in to MLB action.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    jay, part of the job of the front office is to dream up scenarios…much of the Twins community has seemingly spent the last part of 2012 and entire 2013 seasons asking "How did this happen?" when in hindsight there were some pretty clear warning markers.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    For some reason, I always thought Guerrier was a real warrior.
    I get it. Good one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast