Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Turning The Power Back On

@OverTheBaggy

Excellent analysis. Thanks!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His health will play a big part in any improvement the Twins make early in the season. If he is healthy, I suspect he may spend the second half with another team.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. Maybe Willingham should be told to not attempt any more steals.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Great article. Maybe Willingham should be told to not attempt any more steals.
    Or play in the outfield

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    I have theorized that his stance was just a little more open and it looked like he was trying to pull the ball. This would also make him weak on the outside pitches. In 2012 it looked like he was planning to hit the ball up the middle but he just naturally has a power pull swing. In 2013 it looked like he was trying to pull it. This "cheating move" could easily be a result of a sore knee.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His standard fly ball distance dropped from 279 feet to 265 feet on average
    This is just a 5% drop. Not sure that it is significant enough

I hope that he rebounds, but one has to consider his age and the fact that he is on the down curve of his career

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is just a 5% drop. Not sure that it is significant enough
    It is and I should probably elaborate on that statistic since it is behind a paywall. 272 feet the MLB average for all hitters on fly balls. For a frame of reference, Chris Davis led baseball with 300 feet on average on his fly balls. In that stat, it counts all fly balls: infield and outfield. Willingham hits a ton of infield fly balls so his fly ball distance number over his career has been slightly above average than some of the other players who have similar power figures.

Being able to remove infield flies from that figure we find that Willingham's outfield fly ball distance differences are even more pronounced:

2013 - 267
    2012 - 289
    2011 - 288
    2010 - 273

Notice the significant decline in distance between the two healthy years (2012, 2011) compared to the two injured seasons (2013, 2010). Don't get me wrong -- 5% is probably a usual rise-and-fall among players over different seasons but knowing there is an injury explains why the drop-off (sort of like knowing a pitcher had a shoulder injury and seeing a 2% decline in velocity).

I hope that helps explain it better.

9. This user likes Parker Hageman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (01-30-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    It is and I should probably elaborate on that statistic since it is behind a paywall. 272 feet the MLB average for all hitters on fly balls. For a frame of reference, Chris Davis led baseball with 300 feet on average on his fly balls. In that stat, it counts all fly balls: infield and outfield. Willingham hits a ton of infield fly balls so his fly ball distance number over his career has been slightly above average than some of the other players who have similar power figures.

Being able to remove infield flies from that figure we find that Willingham's outfield fly ball distance differences are even more pronounced:

2013 - 267
    2012 - 289
    2011 - 288
    2010 - 273

Notice the significant decline in distance between the two healthy years (2012, 2011) compared to the two injured seasons (2013, 2010). Don't get me wrong -- 5% is probably a usual rise-and-fall among players over different seasons but knowing there is an injury explains why the drop-off (sort of like knowing a pitcher had a shoulder injury and seeing a 2% decline in velocity).

I hope that helps explain it better.
    Yeah that makes sense. Thanks. And it also makes sense to get rid of IFBs as well because those are miss-hits
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Maybe the fact that this is a potential contract year for Willingham will make a difference too.

Never underestimate the power of the contract year. I'd take the over on 20 HR based on this fact alone, not to mention the fact that there is a serious lack of available power hitters coming through FA in recent years (unless you want to pay +$100M). He could probably get a nice deal if he hits 25+ bombs and OPS's over .875. With a good to decent year, Josh could possibly double his career earnings with his next contract. But a poor year could mean struggling to find a job in 2015 - how's that for motivation!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In terms of wOBA from players 33 and older since 2011, Hammer ranks between Carlos Beltran and Paul Konerko. He has been the least durable, and obviously the knee is a big question mark, but if he puts together 550-600 PAs I think the Twins should offer a QO and try to extend him. He is a perfect fit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    In terms of wOBA from players 33 and older since 2011, Hammer ranks between Carlos Beltran and Paul Konerko. He has been the least durable, and obviously the knee is a big question mark, but if he puts together 550-600 PAs I think the Twins should offer a QO and try to extend him. He is a perfect fit.
    $13M a season for an aging DH? The fact that they got a younger, better version of Willingham for $7M makes me think that this would not be a smart move. I don't see him being much better than Plouffe in the future and Plouffe could be a capable replacement. If you are looking for power at the DH spot, Vargas would be an even better replacement couple years down the road. There is a pipeline of talent there (in addition to the aforementioned, Harrison, DJ Hicks, Walker, Kepler et. al.) and does not make sense to block it by re-signing Willingham. Plouffe can be a bridge to that talent in 2015.

Best case scenario: Willingham has a monster season, the Twins make the post season and he rides into the sunset after this season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98