Blog Entries

Article: Pelfrey Excited about Meyer, Twins Future

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article, Seth. And good news on a at least three levels:

1) Chemistry among the starting pitchers. I don't remember hearing this in recent years. Maybe it's a testimony to your reporting that you were able to draw this out. Purely as a fan, it's nice to hear that the team is working together.

2) It's good to hear that players want to be a part of the Twins organization. Some might think that Pelfrey is just blowing smoke, but he doesn't have to praise the organization. He came up in the Mets organization, but both the Strib and the Press writers back up your premise--Pelfrey wants to stay with the Twins. Jason Kubel was also was pretty candid about this at Twins Fest. At the K-Twin booth he didn't call out either Arizona or Cleveland, but he did talk about the quality of the Twins organization, and wanting to get back here.

3. The overall positive direction toward the future. These guys are together in Spring Training. They know--on a competitive level--what kids like Meyer, Buxton, and Sano can do. Pelfrey seems willing to play the role of a seasoned veteran who's willing to walk alongside some younger talent.

That's all good news. Thanks Seth, for making this late January morning just a little warmer!

4. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (01-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Good morning Seth from the sunny Californian desert...where it has been in the low 80's for the past week.

And thanks for the great article. In this game which has become so much about statistics and numbers, we often forget there is much more in putting a team together. Chemisty and relationships often are the reason one team wins and another doesn't. When reading Parker's story about Willingham, I couldn't get his relationship with Dozier out of my mind. Now learning about the influence Pelfrey will have on the development of Meyer and Gibson is just another example of putting the right parts together...both on and off the field.

Thanks again Seth, loved what I just read.

6. This user likes roger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-30-2014)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I hope he pitches as well as he interviews!

Great article.

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    I would love to see Pelfrey come close to the numbers he had in 2008 or 2010.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well there you have it. We gave Pelfrey 2/12 because Meyer needed a friend.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Gimme a break. Is it so difficult to find something good about this story? At least take what a major league veteran pitcher has to say about the future of Meyer as a positive and hope.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand you have an opinion, and thats fine, but usually these comments should stay reserved for the star tribune.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Sounds more like mentor. I'm all for overpaying for a mentor-clubhouse leader type. I wasn't a big fan of the Pelfrey signing, but if the young arms this team NEEDS to develop look to this guy for leadership and advice, it's a worthwhile signing in my book.

Great article as usual Seth. I am one of those who was glad Pelfrey reupped. Usually the second year after Tommy John is the best--and that is the 2014 season. I am hoping for big things from him including the 200IP. Also good that he mentors Meyer and Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Sounds more like mentor. I'm all for overpaying for a mentor-clubhouse leader type. I wasn't a big fan of the Pelfrey signing, but if the young arms this team NEEDS to develop look to this guy for leadership and advice, it's a worthwhile signing in my book.
    For a team to be greater than the sum of its parts it needs players who are more concerned about the team than their own situation or stats. Pelfrey is demonstrating leadership in taking Meyers under his wing. This is a very positive sign and it will carry on through the development of other pictures like Berrios and Thorpe. I fully expect Meyers to be the Twins fifth starter this year. I cannot wait to see him pitch. I live in the Manassas Virginia area and tried to see him pitch in Richmond last season and just missed him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Ditto!!

I'd a paid Roy Halladay $6M a year to be on the IR and be around the clubhouse.

I think the Cardinals having Chris Carpenter "on staff IR" all year the past few years has helped those young guys tremendously.

If he can get Meyer to where he sees him ("Ace"), it's $500K + $6M for an Ace end cost. Sounds like a steal of a deal to me.

Hearing Pelfrey say Meyer has the best "stuff" on the staff is very encouraging. Also like to see him comment about Buxton and Sano. Maybe these young guns will provide the spark needed to get our veterans competing at their highest level. If that is the case we could turn some heads this year!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought I would throw out there that Pelfrey will likely pitch 300-400 innings the next two years. So the mentor thing is great....but.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Pelfrey also has some decent upside IMO....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Great job, Seth. Pelfry exemplifies what Terry Ryan frequently talks about. Pelfry wants to be here, and he has a positive make-up. Those aeren't empty phrases coming out of Ryan's mouth, and they are important attributes not evident on Excel spreadsheets.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    and they are important attributes not evident on Excel spreadsheets.
    Nor, as yet, in the standings.

That doesn't take away from the human-interest angle of the article, which I enjoyed.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This helps with understanding why he was re-signed. There has to be the hope that by 2015 he is not going to be in the starting rotation (Nolasco, Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May).

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article, Seth. I am convinced that Pelfrey means well, and wants to do better.... way better......... than he did last season. In fact, what he says about it reminds me eerily of Matt Capps' return - wanting to come back and show the team and the fans he is better than he had regressed to, and feeling a lot of guilt. Just because with Capps that was pure hope and no performance doesn't mean Pefrey's return will be the same.

When thinking about how the Twins are such great guys and it is such a great place to play (and for the last three years, lose and play), the story makes me think of a high school age young person that has had their parents divorce, and now has two homes. At that age, the child can pretty much pick and chose who they will live with, and they gravitate toward the household that lets them get away with more, that is less demanding, that has less consequences for not performing well. Having a great clubhouse led by Gardenhire may have had it's time and be in the past, as well as picking a team without utilizing the sabermatics that are now available. Time will tell if this feel good story results in more fun....... like winning.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    When thinking about how the Twins are such great guys and it is such a great place to play (and for the last three years, lose and play), the story makes me think of a high school age young person that has had their parents divorce, and now has two homes. At that age, the child can pretty much pick and chose who they will live with, and they gravitate toward the household that lets them get away with more, that is less demanding, that has less consequences for not performing well.
    I'm not sure the allusion of "lazy high school kid" and "one of the best in the world, playing at the highest level of competition" makes much sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast