Thread: Meyer and Span

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries

Meyer and Span

Just out of curiosity, even without Alex Meyer playing a single Major League Game, does anyone think Washington made a good trade?
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span is a pretty solid CF, the jury is still out on Meyer. The Nats were in playoff mode so adding a piece like Span was necessary to compete. Proven commodities are worth a lot. Plus, the Nats had a pretty solid rotation already and they were desperate for a CF worth his salt and a leadoff hitter. I think it was a good trade.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Yes, if you believe that Washington is a playoff team right now, which I do. That said, I think it is likely the Twins also made a good trade.
    Lighten up Francis....

4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (01-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dealing from a position of strength for a high end pitching prospect is one I like. Even if Meyer doesn't turn out, I would support similar trades in the future.

6. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (01-30-2014), Steve Penz (01-30-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    Good for both teams, Twins definitely risked more getting rid of a proven player, but with as much of a sure thing as it gets coming through in Buxton it was worth it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it was a good trade for both teams. Span did not produce like we all expected, but for the Nationals it made sense on paper. Remember that Meyer had arm issues before. They may have thought he would never get past those issues.

As things sit right now, I really like this trade for the Twins.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 780 Times in 427 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span was a nice acquisition for the Nats. He posted a .707 OPS and a 2.4 WAR. He was a fine player and was not the reason for the Nats stumbling in 2013... That was on everybody else, not Denard.

It was a good trade for both teams... But it looks like it's going to work out a little better for the Twins because the Nats stumbled last year. Again, not Span's fault.

10. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-31-2014)

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span wouldn't be making this team much better, maybe 2 more wins with him. If Meyer can fit in as a piece of the future (and not get hurt) then it will be a success in my mind, no matter how Span plays.

12. This user likes Danchat's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-31-2014)

I like the trade for the Twins. Can never have too many power arms.

Though I do miss Span, he was a good player.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Span's bat has been on a constant decline pretty much since 2009/10 and last season he posted a career low .327 OBP. He has been a 2-3 WAR player because of his defense. He is turning 30 before this season and will be continue the decline. Meyer is under team control for 6+ years and can be a 5+ WAR starter for those 6 years. So the diff here is like the Garza for Young trade, with higher baselines on both ways, not to count the $ diff.

Slam dunk for the Twins on paper, but injuries and such happen.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-31-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    I was always a huge fan of Span but it takes value to get value. Starters with front of the rotation potential don't grow on trees. Even if Meyer flames out I would be fine with the trade. At least we tried.

17. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-31-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To me, this is a clear win for the Twins. Span is about a 2 WAR player. Meyer's upside is 4-5 WAR. Also, Meyer will be a cheap player at that WAR level for a few more years before Span gets expensive.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins got the best of the deal with Meyer.
    Nats got the best of the deal with Span.

Ask me ten years from now, and I can say I called it!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 780 Times in 427 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    To me, this is a clear win for the Twins. Span is about a 2 WAR player. Meyer's upside is 4-5 WAR. Also, Meyer will be a cheap player at that WAR level for a few more years before Span gets expensive.
    Span has a fWAR of 3.6 and 3.5 the past two years.

The Nationals wanted to win now. Span did his part to help that happen, though the rest of the the team didn't live up to their potential.

The Twins wanted to win in a couple of years. Meyer looks like he's going to do his part to help that happen.

I still don't see a "winner" because the two teams had very different goals.

21. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

halfchest (01-31-2014)

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the trade from both sides.

The Nationals were (are) close to contention and needed a reliable CF. They dealt from a position of strength (starting pitching) to acquire the piece they needed.

The Twins were in need of high quality starting pitching and dealt from a position of strength (CF) to make that deal happen.

If Meyer turns into the player the experts are projecting him to be - I think it's a win for both sides. (Assuming Span continues to play at the same level for the next couple of seasons).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    http://www.masnsports.com/nationals_...er-trades.html

For what its worth here's an article written by a DC sportswriter after the 2013 season. At this point this trade really looks win win. Span performed decently and Meyer was great but had the injury issues. As in any trade involving prospects its going to be awhile til we can evaluate this one fully.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a slam dunk at all. Span is a proven commodity. He is a good player with a good attitude and a great lead-off hitter. Meyer had a shoulder injury that lost him half the season in 2013. Sure, he has potential to be a great pitcher, but so did Philip Hughes. You can't count on prospects reaching their ceiling. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Regardless, you need acquire as much high-end talent as possible to get high-caliber players. I am a fan of the trade, but I do believe Span is a pretty good player.

The entire reason it happened is because it made sense for both teams. If the Nats make a playoff run in the next few years (completely possible) Span will be a big part of it. If the Twins turn it around in the next few years, Meyer will most likely be a part of it. Both teams win this IMO.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with most everyone here, in that I like it for both teams.

The Twins weren't going to have much of a difference for keeping Span and it would/could make a difference for the Nationals.

Meyer has enough upside to even if he does 'better' (WAR) than Span, the timing of it made it a good trade because Meyer couldn't give those 2-4 Wins that Span could at that time.

It's why I'm not so hot on Stephen Drew at this time. I don't see the necessity of spending $10-12M per for a 1...maybe 2 Win upgrade over a $500k a year player and when his timing of contribution to a winner, 2015 and beyond, is very slim.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Meyer becomes something close to what we hope he will, then there almost certainly will come a time when Nats fans will really wish they had kept him. How strongly they feel that way is likely to be determined by whether Washington ever does make a World Series run before then. If not, then getting Span won't have accomplished what it was supposed to accomplish.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~