Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Three-Bagger: Arroyo, Guerrier & Albers

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Three-Bagger: Arroyo, Guerrier & Albers

The fact that Arroyo "has not received an offer" is a little misleading. If his agent said the minimum we'll take is "$x" million per year and/or "x" number of years a team is not going to make an offer if their offer would be less than that minimum. This is why agents/teams "circle back" with one another as the off-season progresses to see if either side has changed their stance. Arroyo is probably still holding out for more dollars/years than anyone wants to offer at this point.

How many spots are currently open on the 40 man roster?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    How many spots are currently open on the 40 man roster?
    Just one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    The fact that Arroyo "has not received an offer" is a little misleading. If his agent said the minimum we'll take is "$x" million per year and/or "x" number of years a team is not going to make an offer if their offer would be less than that minimum. This is why agents/teams "circle back" with one another as the off-season progresses to see if either side has changed their stance. Arroyo is probably still holding out for more dollars/years than anyone wants to offer at this point.
    If Arroyo's price falls into the 2/16 to 2/18 range I could see Terry signing him and selling high on Correa. You don't want five veterans blocking Meyer and Gibson, on a team that is unlikely to compete.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arroyo is going to end up signing a one-year, $10 million contract.

I honestly am not being whine-tastic here, but looking back, that Nolasco deal is not nearly as good as it seemed at the time (and I didn't like it that much at the time either). That said, I would rather the Twins be aggressive and get out ahead of other teams than wait on the whims of the market. It just turned out to kinda go south.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    I'd be fine with signing Arroyo so at least they have some respectable options at SP. I only see them winning about 70 games this year and I don't think Arroyo would do much to change that but still would be an improvement to the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

I honestly am not being whine-tastic here, but looking back, that Nolasco deal is not nearly as good as it seemed at the time (and I didn't like it that much at the time either). That said, I would rather the Twins be aggressive and get out ahead of other teams than wait on the whims of the market. It just turned out to kinda go south.
    I agree that the Nolasco deal isn't as good as first percieved, but I'm still happy the Twins showed some agression. Still, it could be worse, the Twins could have given Jason Vargas a 4 year deal instead. The Royals are probably the team that's kicking themselves right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree that the Nolasco deal isn't as good as first percieved, but I'm still happy the Twins showed some agression. Still, it could be worse, the Twins could have given Jason Vargas a 4 year deal instead. The Royals are probably the team that's kicking themselves right now.
    I agree completely. Every other year we wait for the prices to fall and they don't. At least we improved our staff this year.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arroyo brings his demand down for a 1 yr deal with a mutual option for a second and he is signed right away. At 38, it is time to bet on yourself year to year and get paid what you deserve year by year. A player should only want to be paid for the work they do, and not sitting around injured. Bet on yourself, and earn the highest money you can year by year.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson
    I've got no problem with the strategy. How could you? There's no risk here. The Twins are guaranteeing essentially nothing to these players -- not even a spot on the 40-man roster -- and each has shown at some point within the past few years that he can play at a high level.
    It also offers some reassurance that players like and respect the Twins organization. We hear Kubel passed up a major league contract to sign with the Twins; even for the others, I'm sure they could've found minor league deals elsewhere. You're doing something right when former players choose you as the club with which to sign their minor league deals, and it's an advantage I hope we can continue to hold in future years. (...Or maybe even this year, with a Johan signing?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson
    [Albers'] departure leaves a spot open on the 40-man roster, but I wouldn't expect it to be filled very quickly.
    That spot's got Kubel's name written all over it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Arroyo brings his demand down for a 1 yr deal with a mutual option for a second and he is signed right away. At 38, it is time to bet on yourself year to year and get paid what you deserve year by year. A player should only want to be paid for the work they do, and not sitting around injured. Bet on yourself, and earn the highest money you can year by year.
    Here is a good article about Arroyo. They think he will eventually get 2/20 with an option. I would do that and move Correa as I think last year he out-performed. You get a better pitcher for another year for a little more. I am guessing we wished we signed Arroyo instead of Pelfrey.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...oyo-unemployed

13. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-31-2014)

There is no need to keep a roster spot open because of an add come the end of spring training. Someone either makes the roster or doesn't. If Kubel pushes aside Colabello or Parmelee, so be it. If Guerrier seems a better choice than Diamond or Worley, let it happen. Plus, you always get at least one guy that you can 60-day (Deduno, perhaps).

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Here is a good article about Arroyo. They think he will eventually get 2/20 with an option. I would do that and move Correa as I think last year he out-performed. You get a better pitcher for another year for a little more. I am guessing we wished we signed Arroyo instead of Pelfrey.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...oyo-unemployed
    Not so thrilled about Bronson , even if he is an upgrade, but completely agree,about moving Correia, he might be at his all time high in trade value.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

It's too bad for the Twins. The offseason they finally realize "hey, we can't sleep on addressing our needs" is the offseason that falling asleep at the wheel for a few months might have really paid off.

In the long run, what they did this year was the right thing. Let's hope that belief hasn't wavered with some of the other signings that are going down.

I'd much rather have what the Twins did this year than them waiting for nothing but the bargain bin in previous years. Last year it was tough to find pitchers to take their money. This year they found some good enough pitchers who will hopefully help. I hope they don't think waiting is now the norm. Tanaka really stalled the market. Had he not been around, I think the market would have went much quicker than it did.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a hard time understanding why everyone wants to get rid of Correia. Of all the pitchers on the Twins roster this spring, he was the 2nd best pitcher(next to Nolasco) in 2013 at the major league level. On top of that, does anybody really think he will back a haul in trade? Finally, I expect that the chances of him being one of the 5 best major league pitchers of the available options, is probably better than just about anyone not named Nolasco. So why really, do so many of you want to get rid of him?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why everyone wants to get rid of Correia. Of all the pitchers on the Twins roster this spring, he was the 2nd best pitcher(next to Nolasco) in 2013 at the major league level. On top of that, does anybody really think he will back a haul in trade? Finally, I expect that the chances of him being one of the 5 best major league pitchers of the available options, is probably better than just about anyone not named Nolasco. So why really, do so many of you want to get rid of him?
    From my perspective, he is a career 4.45 guy, mainly in the NL. His last year in Pittsburgh he was moved to the bullpen. Then he comes to the AL and has a 4.20. This would be a great time to sell high. I would not want to give him an extension based on last year because I don't think we will see a repeat.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    From my perspective, he is a career 4.45 guy, mainly in the NL. His last year in Pittsburgh he was moved to the bullpen. Then he comes to the AL and has a 4.20. This would be a great time to sell high. I would not want to give him an extension based on last year because I don't think we will see a repeat.
    Oh, I don't expect anything all that great from Correia, I just don't expect much of anything from most of the other candidates either. At least until Gibson, Meyer and perhaps others from the farm system get established. Also, I don't believe there is any "sell high" on Correia. All big league clubs are as aware of his track record as we are. There are somewhat comparable guys still available as free agents. Why would anyone trade for Correia at this time? I am certainly not advocating an extention for Correia either. Just keep him around until you are sure you have 5 better starters and some minor league guys trending upward.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    So why really, do so many of you want to get rid of him?
    Correia may be better than Gibson in 2014. Gibson learning to be better in the majors for 2015-2020 is vastly more important, however. As is the potential contribution of anyone that might be with the team long term. Wasting those opportunities to invest in the future in the name of a pitcher (who had his best year in recent memory and still was "meh") - is a poor choice for a rebuilding team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast