Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Desktop critical error message?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Desktop critical error message?

After the issues on the mobile site I might as well throw this one out there too. I went to read Parker's article on Buxton this morning and got bounced with some critical error message that my work computer's antivirus did something with.

I don't know what going on lately... but seriously. I don't want to start not even feeling safe visiting the site and whatnot?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had the same thing happen this weekend on (I think) the same article. I'm pretty sure that's an add as well. Brock may know more about that though. Security essentials claimed to have found 3 viruses. I had to do an end task on my browser to kill it. I'm not sure if it was one of those fake AV malware items, but I wasn't going to find out.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Anyone else getting this now on their PC/laptop? I have been the last for few days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Anyone else getting this now on their PC/laptop? I have been the last for few days.
    I got it Thursday or Friday (cant remember which) I think on one of the top 10 prospect articles. I also had to end task and shut down computer to get out of it. I ran virus scan (McAfee) immediately and found no viruses (viri??). Came back an hour later and no problem. No problems today (Saturday) so far.

I'll write down what it says but it's something about a warning and warn1.com. Something to that effect along with a warning that you have a virus.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got it Thursday or Friday also at work... it was fine after closing it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    'tis the ads being served. Some of them are not nice...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I just tried to go into the new Brooks Raley article. First article I have went back in to try to read since the last problem. Got the same error/warning.

PLEASE MAKE THIS STOP.

/rant.

Seriously though. pretty please, fix this issue. I don't even want to go in to read any articles because I dont want to deal with this.

pcinstantalert.com was what was listed on my browser. My malware found it instantly.

I ran a check on my PC and I think TwinsDaily is a breeding ground for malware right now.

Desktop using chrome. Next time it happens I will.

i think thrylos is right, certain ads are carrying it.

Screenshot sent.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Screenshot sent.
    Thanks. Brock, let me know if I need to follow up with any ad company about this.

Can you guys give some kind of confirmation when the issue is 'fixed'? I have stopped reading articles until further notice because I just plain don't want to deal with it every time.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Can you guys give some kind of confirmation when the issue is 'fixed'? I have stopped reading articles until further notice because I just plain don't want to deal with it every time.
    I'm having a hell of a time tracking this down and replicating it. Do me a favor:

Go into an article page and when the message pops up, right click and View Source.

Select and copy all of that information into a .txt file and email it to [email protected].

If I can't generate the ad, I simply cannot troubleshoot it. Therefore, I need the underlying code to find the offender and fire off a nasty email to one of our ad networks.

Sorry, I haven't seen that message since the email I sent you Brock. I still get an occasional malware block from the IP I gave you, but not that message anymore.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No worries, I wish I could replicate it myself. I can't get the damned ads to generate despite googling all sorts of crazy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm having a hell of a time tracking this down and replicating it. Do me a favor:

Go into an article page and when the message pops up, right click and View Source.

Select and copy all of that information into a .txt file and email it to [email protected].

If I can't generate the ad, I simply cannot troubleshoot it. Therefore, I need the underlying code to find the offender and fire off a nasty email to one of our ad networks.
    Oops sorry, I didnt check back until now. I'd rather not do it at work - I'd prefer to keep it from triggering my antivirus stuff repeatedly (even if it isn't detecting a virus), I would rather try to get it to do it at home. I'd take Lev's word though - it seems like he was seeing the same stuff as me.