Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    From what I know, contracts received through the arbitration process aren't guaranteed. If the player is released prior to the season, the club only owes the player 30-45 of his salary, depending when he was released.

So if he is released, I believe he would become a free agent and the Royals would have to pay 30 days of the $3.5 million he was owed.
    The contract was not received via arbitration, it was agreed to, to avoid arbitration. If a player is claimed through waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the player's contract. If the player clears waivers, and no one signs him, then KC pays a pro-rated amount. If he signs with another team as a free agent, they are free to renegotiate a contract for a lesser or greater amount and KC would be off the hook. Any way you slice it, the claiming or signing team would end up paying the bulk (if not all) of the contract.

2. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    The contract was not received via arbitration, it was agreed to, to avoid arbitration. If a player is claimed through waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the player's contract. If the player clears waivers, and no one signs him, then KC pays a pro-rated amount. If he signs with another team as a free agent, they are free to renegotiate a contract for a lesser or greater amount and KC would be off the hook. Any way you slice it, the claiming or signing team would end up paying the bulk (if not all) of the contract.
    I could be wrong on this, but my understanding is the team the releases the player is responsible for the contract and the buying team only pays the minimum, but the releasing team if in the offseason may only be responsible for a month of it. It makes a big difference if the Twins can sign him for $500 K and have KC pick up the rest. If it is only a month, then it could cost the Twins about 1.5 mil to sign him and he may have many better postseason opportunities to choose from.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    My Fingers are crossed with hope. It Maskes it harrrd to type.
    So far I haven't noticed the difference.

5. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    KC is responsible for the guarenteed portion of the contract. If a team picks him up as a free agent they would be responsible for the minimum wage. I would really doubt that someone would pay him more than his KC contract

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    This seems like a pretty good summary of his status:
    http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/2/1...ilio-bonifacio

They are saying that it is likely he will clear waivers and the new team could negotiate a new contract with him but that Royals would owe him 1/6th of previously agreed on salary ($500,000+).

Not sure why the 1/6th rather than some other fraction.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts

7:12 AM - 11 Feb 2014

9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-11-2014)

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Price Tag seems to be the issue as it is in all walks of life.

I'd pay it but I don't have that kind of cash on me.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the over/under on his new contract? I'll wager 2 bills. Possibly 2.5 if the Yankees and Dodgers get into a bidding war and box out teams like the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    What's the over/under on his new contract? I'll wager 2 bills. Possibly 2.5 if the Yankees and Dodgers get into a bidding war and box out teams like the Twins.
    I would hope 2.5 isn't enough to box anyone out in this day and age of baseball, but refusing to overpay for a utility player may be more of an issue of principle.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I would hope 2.5 isn't enough to box anyone out in this day and age of baseball, but refusing to overpay for a utility player may be more of an issue of principle.
    Except for Jamey Caroll....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Not sure why the 1/6th rather than some other fraction.
    I think it's supposed to be one month's salary, which is effectively 1/6?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will be interesting to see what kind of "bidding war" there could be. He's been traded a few times, but never as a centerpiece, always an auxiliary part. And last year, the Royals got him from the Blue Jays for cash, not even a PTBNL. (And they only "committed" to his $3.5 mil salary for 2014 knowing full well they could cut him later for $500k. And, they're the Royals, so questionable roster/financial decisions are standard operating procedure )

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt he gets over a mil at this point. Anyone could have had him for 2.5. Apparently his services are not in such demand after all. Could it be he is not the second coming of Cesar Tovar?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Will be interesting to see what kind of "bidding war" there could be. He's been traded a few times, but never as a centerpiece, always an auxiliary part. And last year, the Royals got him from the Blue Jays for cash, not even a PTBNL. (And they only "committed" to his $3.5 mil salary for 2014 knowing full well they could cut him later for $500k. And, they're the Royals, so questionable roster/financial decisions are standard operating procedure )
    No kidding. Other teams will be looking at his full body of work last year but why would the Royals? Most aquiring teams would likely evaluate a player based on what they did for THEM after the trade, and in only 42 games he put up a 1.2 WAR with a .352 OBP and .700 OPS. That kind of production from a jack-of-all trades utility player seems pretty reasonable to me if I'm a member of the Royals front office.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I doubt he gets over a mil at this point. Anyone could have had him for 2.5. Apparently his services are not in such demand after all. Could it be he is not the second coming of Cesar Tovar?
    The second coming of Nick Putno snagged $4 mill per year. The third coming of Nick Punto even got $2.75 mill per and he just signed in November.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Bonifacio has cleared waivers

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLBTradeRumors (via Doogy) reports that the Twins have displayed no interest in Bonifacio. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

21. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-13-2014)

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why I'm not GM material. 30 teams passed on someone I would have been all over.

I would have traded for Bonofacio. I still don't understand how he isn't a perfect fit for us.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

23. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Wolfson may be right, but he has been all over the place this offseason. I can't remember if it was Hughes or Nolasco that he said the Twins weren't in on, then only a couple of days later they signed.

Then last week we had him saying the Twins were expressing zero interest in Aledmys Diaz:
    https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...06167293865984
    Then said the exact opposite six days later:
    https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...82653555798016

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not at all surprised. If you're a utility guy and you are not a wiz with the glove, you better carry more lumber than he has in his career. Plus, at age 30, he's in decline. Better to give opportunities to guys with upside, even if it means you're marginally worse than you would have been with the veteran. Maybe a minor-league deal?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast