Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

Bonifacio was DFA'd on Saturday by the Royals. As I recall his name was brought up before, but now that he's available I think we should take a look at him seriously. I think he's a much better alternative as a fourth outfielder (who can play all 3 spots and has the ability to play 2B, 3B and even SS in a pinch), than Mastro. He's got more versatility and probably better speed and the ability to steal a base and disrupt on the basepaths the way Mastro did two years ago. Mastro wasn't the ballplayer last year that he was before injury. I like Bonifacio's versatility and with a shallow bench having another switch hitter who is capable of filling in for long stretches is critical. He's a little spendy at a little over $3M, but we have the cash to spend and could pick him up cheap.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Yeah, I'm a fan of him as a super utility guy. He was terrible in Toronto last year but a .358 OBP after his move to KC and marks of .360 and .330 the previous two seasons. That's quite an upgrade to the 4th OF/MI options this team normally runs out there.

Not to mention 30 and 28 SB's the last 2 years in pretty limited action and 40 the year before in a full season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Not to mention 30 and 28 SB's the last 2 years in pretty limited action and 40 the year before in a full season.
    I wonder how he is regarded at SS, because his bat would be an upgrade over Florimon. If not, hard to see how he is not an upgrade over Mastro/Escobar.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I wonder how he is regarded at SS, because his bat would be an upgrade over Florimon. If not, hard to see how he is not an upgrade over Mastro/Escobar.
    He's seen very limited time at SS, mostly 2009-2011. Fewer than 100 games, and not a great fielder. Better at CF and 2B. I'd keep both him and Escobar.

6. These 2 users like ScottyB's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (02-04-2014), Gene Larkin Fan Club (02-07-2014)

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    DRS and UZR are in agreement almost across the board. 2B and LF/RF are his best positions and he's been roughly average or just above there. He's been average at 3B, but hasn't done particularly well at SS and CF. Definitely passable there as a backup, but probably not starter-quality defense.

I do agree that he could combine Mastro and Escobar into one person though, leaving an extra roster spot for a bench bat or option-less pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    $3MM for a utility player? Whew! I don't see it. Plus, if he is as good as advertised, the Twins would have competition to sign him--an even higher price. It would make more sense to either buy a proven starter at market price or promote from within and hope for the best--stop compromising! Get a quality player or gamble that a rookie can grow into one.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What makes you think it will cost $3MM to get him, once he is totally free? And, why not? What else will they do with the $3MM?

What proven starter do you suggest they buy instead?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Certainly someone to consider. Other than his time with Toronto last year, I think he'd be solid as a fill in at 2B, 3B and OF, and would have value as a pinch runner on days he wasn't in the starting lineup. Kick the tires.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    If Bonifacio is good at 3B, then I would sign him to play every day at 3B until Sano, and create a Plouffe-Kubel platoon in right.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely worth asking about him... There certainly will be competition for him. I would almost guess that the Royals will be able to trade him. But he can play 6-7 positions, so worth considering.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    If we are looking for someone to play an elite OF/3B/2B and very above average SS, why don't we just bring in Mark DeRosa?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

14. These 6 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-04-2014), DocBauer (02-04-2014), James (02-04-2014), mike wants wins (02-05-2014), notoriousgod71 (02-04-2014), USAFChief (02-07-2014)

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    How is his attitude? Does he "get after it" and "play the game the right way"? Those are the only things worth considering.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    How is his attitude? Does he "get after it" and "play the game the right way"? Those are the only things worth considering.
    Hmmm… you might be right. And come to think of it, I really can't figure out a good nickname for him either.

I guess I'll pass. :-)

I still like the idea of platooning Plouffie and Kubes in right, though.

17. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonifacio is a career 79 OPS+ hitter, which I guess is an upgrade over Florimon's 70 (or Escobar's 74) last year. He isn't a standout defensively -- his best position looks like 2B, and he looks worse than Florimon at SS. His biggest offensive skill seems to be stolen bases, but he hasn't added a ton of value by that method -- maybe half a win per full season?

Escobar is apparently out of options -- would you swap him for Bonifacio, and at what cost? $1 million? $2 million?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about using him to replace Alex Presley on the 25-man roster? If Aaron Hicks pushes him to the bench, you then have a super utility player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Escobar is apparently out of options -- would you swap him for Bonifacio, and at what cost? $1 million? $2 million?
    I would because you actually get to swap him for Escobar and Mastroianni opening up a bench spot for a extra bat. Also like Escobar he's a switch hitter which is nice.

His OPS stinks outside of 2011, but if you take out his time in Toronto he is able to get on base at an above average mark which is something the Twins have been lacking in these kind of role players.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Maybe the Twins should offer Diamond or a different player out of options for him and maybe you could get KC to throw in some cash in the deal as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    The twins aren't in need of bench plaers--they need regular starters! Acquire players who are starters now or use your prospects and develop them to be your team of the future.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Bonaficio is good enough to start some games at third, second, short and center, he could be a 10th regular. A guy who could maybe start 20 games at second and 40 at third against RH pitching, and start against LH at center, short, and left could get 500 plate appearances. Sort of a poor-man's Tony Phillips. I don't know if he is a good enough hitter or good enough at short and center to be considered for such a role, but if he's adequate in the field and better with the stick than Plouffe or Dozier hitting LH and Florimon and Presley hitting RH, then go get him. Adding a base-stealing threat and potential lead-off hitter would be a bonus.

24. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (02-04-2014), TiberTwins (02-05-2014)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast