Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 165

Thread: Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

  1. #101
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,513
    Like
    75
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    His OBP is projected to be around .330 or higher--- that's a cherry that this team needs to pick. This is well above league average of .318. He has an OPS at .332 over the last 3 years, even with his bad time in Toronto- can you accept the possibility that there might have been underlying issues that contributed to such an outlier of a performance with the Jays?

    Given that the Royals saw enough positive in 2013 and were very willing to re-sign Bonifacio at $3.5M for 2014 before they found someone better......and that the Twins won't be on the hook for anything close to that number, that it's at least worth a look to find out for certain if it really is "a waste of a roster spot." (I still see close to a dozen guys on this current roster that we would never miss if the Twins parted ways.)
    I see OBP projections of 294-315

    Steamer 246/309/328
    Oliver 247/294/314
    ZIPS 258/315/339

    Source: fangraphs

  2. #102
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Glad someone checked that. It just didn't seem right that ZIPS would project a 29 year old veteran to his career high in OBP. Check that, he did have one good year, when he had an OBP of .360 at age 26. That was his only year with an OPS+ over 100. Otherwise, he's had one year at .330 and a bunch of years hovering around .300.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 02-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  3. #103
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    435
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I don't think anyone wants PAs taken away from Arcia or Dozier, but they could use a day off every now and then, and there are certain pitching match-ups where Bonifacio undoubtedly has historically had an advantage.
    Bonifacio could also take AB's from Escobar and perhaps Hicks if he can win the CF job. Plus hopefully, Sano gets to the majors fairly soon and pushes Plouffe to another position or backup. I have nothing really, against the idea of Bonifacio, but I don't really see how he helps a building team. He will be taking AB's from someone, even if the someone is only Escobar. I really don't see the point of having him in the lineup at this point on a team unlikely to contend. If somehow, the Twins are in contention in July/August well, a Bonifacio is probably available if you need one.

  4. #104
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    If the Twins were to sign Bonifacio, he would definitely eliminate Mastro from consideration. I don't think it would eliminate Escobar. Looking over at the success thread, I am in agreement that the club needs to win more games and adding someone with Bonifacio 's skill set would help the Twins win more games this year.

  5. #105
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If the Twins were to sign Bonifacio, he would definitely eliminate Mastro from consideration. I don't think it would eliminate Escobar. Looking over at the success thread, I am in agreement that the club needs to win more games and adding someone with Bonifacio 's skill set would help the Twins win more games this year.
    Let's play player A and B.

    Player A 2012:

    186 PAs .252/.328/.350/.678 21 SB, 3 CS

    Player B 2012:

    274 PAs .258/.330/.316/.645 30 SB 3 CS

    Player A is Mastroianni. Player B is Bonifacio. I chose 2012 because Mastro broke his leg at the end of spring training in 2013 and they made him play on it, resulting in mostly a lost year of surgeries and trying to play with a hunk of metal in his leg.

    Mastro has more power, as much speed and is a better defender in all outfield spots. He's also a year younger. It's not clear to me that Bonifacio is the better option.

    Escobar, on the other hand, does not have the offensive or baserunning resume of Bonifacio. If they are comparable defenders in the infield, it might be worth doing something.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  6. #106
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Not to pick nits, but four months (the difference in age between Bonifacio and Mastro) is closer to the same age than a year apart. Also, Mastro is an outfielder only. He has had one season in the major leagues, in which he played in 77 games. He hits right handed only and has a noticeable platoon split. Bonifacio has played over 750 innings at second, short, third, and center and over 600 innings at the corner outfield spots. RiverBrian gave us quite a rundown on Bonifacio's movements, both from position to position and team to team.

    I presumed that if Bonifacio is acquired, he would be on the 40-man which would be another edge for him over Mastro. I actually think Mastroianni would and will make a decent fourth OF for someone, but I don't think he's a fit in Minnesota.

  7. #107
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,755
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Let's play player A and B.

    Player A 2012:

    186 PAs .252/.328/.350/.678 21 SB, 3 CS

    Player B 2012:

    274 PAs .258/.330/.316/.645 30 SB 3 CS

    Player A is Mastroianni. Player B is Bonifacio. I chose 2012 because Mastro broke his leg at the end of spring training in 2013 and they made him play on it, resulting in mostly a lost year of surgeries and trying to play with a hunk of metal in his leg.

    Mastro has more power, as much speed and is a better defender in all outfield spots. He's also a year younger. It's not clear to me that Bonifacio is the better option.

    Escobar, on the other hand, does not have the offensive or baserunning resume of Bonifacio. If they are comparable defenders in the infield, it might be worth doing something.
    As String said... Mastro can't play infield. That's why Bonofacio is the upgrade.

    We all hope Hicks joins us in 2014 to stay. Bonofacio can be moved to make room if he's playing well. Mastro can't.

    Bonofacio has more MLB experience than Mastro. He's had better years than 2012. Mastro has never had a better year than 2012.

    And The 2012 comp... Bono was injured for most of the year. Pre-Injury 2012 he was doing good. He missed a couple of months and when he came back... His team was gone and the attitude around the club and town was "I'd like to kill this owner".

    I'm also not sure that Mastro is the better defender in the OF. Neither of them are Revere or Buxton.

    Don't get me wrong... I like Mastro but that's not a surprise because I'm a speed guy. We are looking at one last roster spot based on what Levi posted and I think Levi is right.

    Bono is a perfect fit... He plugs 3 holes and potentially more... Mastro only plugs two.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  8. #108
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    292
    Like
    4
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Bonifacio isn't a free agent. There are several teams who are interested in his services. Most of them being contenders. Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Dodgers, and a few others.

    If it was only the $3 million, I'd say it would be fine as he'd possibly be a marginal upgrade. But I wouldn't give up anything of value for him, which is likely what it would take.

  9. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Willihammer (02-10-2014)

  10. #109
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    539
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Bonifacio is now officially available to everyone. He's on unconditional release waivers as of today (the 10th). Anyone can claim him and just pay his salary of $3.5M. Claims will be resolved by reverse standings (in essence this year's draft order). No trade is necessary - just a claim.

  11. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (02-10-2014)

  12. #110
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Its only money , and with Gardys tendency to carry 13 pitchers and 3 catchers, having a guy that versitale is a must in my opinon

  13. #111
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,755
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Bonifacio is now officially available to everyone. He's on unconditional release waivers as of today (the 10th). Anyone can claim him and just pay his salary of $3.5M. Claims will be resolved by reverse standings (in essence this year's draft order). No trade is necessary - just a claim.
    My Fingers are crossed with hope. It Maskes it harrrd to type.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  14. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (02-10-2014)

  15. #112
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    I'd would say that the Twins should claim him and almost certainly, they would win the claim (Houston and Chicago go first?).

  16. #113
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    292
    Like
    4
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I'd would say that the Twins should claim him and almost certainly, they would win the claim (Houston and Chicago go first?).
    I believe the Twins would be fifth as they use league wide standings from the previous season.

    I'm a little bit curious as to why the Royals were unable to find any value for him. Especially considering articles and reports that there were/are interested teams. Perhaps it's a testament to his perceived value across the league.

    I don't see the downside in claiming him. It's just money at this point and they have the need and an available roster spot.

  17. #114
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    539
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Waiver & draft order - Houston, Miami, Chisox, Cubs & Twins. Bonifacio would have to get Albers' spot on the 40-man.

    If there is no claim, he becomes a free agent, can sign with anyone and they are free to negotiate a new contract (likely for less money). Which probably means if the Twins want him, he would have to be claimed by the Twins. Otherwise there could be a bidding war against guys like the Dodgers and Yanks.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 02-10-2014 at 03:50 PM.

  18. #115
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Waiver & draft order - Houston, Miami, Chisox, Cubs & Twins. Bonifacio would have to get Albers' spot on the 40-man.

    If there is no claim, he becomes a free agent, can sign with anyone and they are free to negotiate a new contract (likely for less money). Which probably means if the Twins want him, he would have to be claimed by the Twins. Otherwise there could be a bidding war against guys like the Dodgers and Yanks.
    He already signed a contract for 2014, are you sure the Royals wouldnt be on the hook for his contract if he isint claimed?

  19. #116
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Waiver & draft order - Houston, Miami, Chisox, Cubs & Twins. Bonifacio would have to get Albers' spot on the 40-man.

    If there is no claim, he becomes a free agent, can sign with anyone and they are free to negotiate a new contract (likely for less money). Which probably means if the Twins want him, he would have to be claimed by the Twins. Otherwise there could be a bidding war against guys like the Dodgers and Yanks.
    During the season AL teams get the first shot, during the offseason it is all of MLB, so the Twins do get the fifth shot to claim Bonifacio.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 02-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

  20. #117
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    539
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    He already signed a contract for 2014, are you sure the Royals wouldnt be on the hook for his contract if he isint claimed?
    See http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ssignment.html

    Per MLBTraderumors - "Any team can now claim Bonifacio if they are willing to take on the entirety of his $3.5MM salary."

  21. #118
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    See http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ssignment.html

    Per MLBTraderumors - "Any team can now claim Bonifacio if they are willing to take on the entirety of his $3.5MM salary."
    Yes agreeing on that fact, but if he goes unclaimed, are the Royals on the hook for the contract he signed? Which is what I am questioning .Im thinking if unclaimed after a certain amount of days then the royals will be obligated to pay his contract

  22. #119
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,778
    Like
    664
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I am a little unclear, maybe someone can clarify. If every team passes on Bonifacio, then he becomes a free agent? Meaning, his 3.5m contract with the Royals becomes null and void?

    edit: what JD is asking

  23. #120
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    292
    Like
    4
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I am a little unclear, maybe someone can clarify. If every team passes on Bonifacio, then he becomes a free agent? Meaning, his 3.5m contract with the Royals becomes null and void?

    edit: what JD is asking
    From what I know, contracts received through the arbitration process aren't guaranteed. If the player is released prior to the season, the club only owes the player 30-45 of his salary, depending when he was released.

    So if he is released, I believe he would become a free agent and the Royals would have to pay 30 days of the $3.5 million he was owed.

  24. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Willihammer (02-10-2014)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.