Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #9 Lewis Thorpe

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,291
    Like
    1
    Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Article: TD Top Prospects: #9 Lewis Thorpe


  2. #2
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,964
    Like
    1,032
    Liked 1,246 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.
    Let's not tag him yet, he's got a long ways to go.

    Plus there isn't much info to gauge a comparision.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,920
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    OK, we won't tag him, but consider MLB pitchers who are:

    1.) Left-handed,
    2.) sit 92-93, and touch 95
    3.) have four big league pitches
    4.) has terrific control

    Now add four years or so of actual experience and hope for health...

  5. #5
    What excites me is the supposed state of his current delivery and mechanics. I remember hearing on multiple occasions that he has solid mechanics in his delivery (however I cannot seem to remember where) and after watching him throw on YouTube, to my untrained eye, he looks solid and fluid with no "herky-jerky" action. His fast growing body coupled with his delivery/age/succes (albeit short lived thus far) have me eager to observe how he develops from now on. He currently sits at #8 on my list, in between Berrios and Kepler. However upside is a key aspect to my personal rankings (along with my desire for unique international players to help assist baseball cross borders around the world). I am also interested in following fellow Aussie pitcher Sam Gibbons.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,121
    Like
    370
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    OK, we won't tag him, but consider MLB pitchers who are:

    1.) Left-handed,
    2.) sit 92-93, and touch 95
    3.) have four big league pitches
    4.) has terrific control

    Now add four years or so of actual experience and hope for health...
    Yup. Plus those smooth mechanics- which should mitigate some of the health concerns and, with a developing body, portent another incremental velocity uptick eventually to the mid-to-high-90s. All of which is why I think he should be ranked as the #3 Twins overall pitching prospect, behind only Meyer and Stewart.

  7. #7
    People are talking about his smooth mechanics, but wasn't he the guy with the whadyacallit inverted M or just plain Dubya?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    318
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thorpe was one of the most dominant pitchers in the Aussie League this winter. Lineups he faced included mostly High A ball players with some AA, AAA and a few big leaguers mixed in. His performance there tells me he will likely see Cedar Rapids this spring/summer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,121
    Like
    370
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    People are talking about his smooth mechanics, but wasn't he the guy with the whadyacallit inverted M or just plain Dubya?
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU


    Last edited by jokin; 02-05-2014 at 08:47 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    484
    Like
    31
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Thorpe was one of the most dominant pitchers in the Aussie League this winter. Lineups he faced included mostly High A ball players with some AA, AAA and a few big leaguers mixed in. His performance there tells me he will likely see Cedar Rapids this spring/summer.
    Here are his numbers in the offseason. Like you point out, safe to say much better competition than the rookie league he was in least year and he just turned 18 in November.

    7 starts, 36.2 IP, 3-2, 2.45 ER, 30 K, 10 BB, 1.22 WHIP, 1 HR allowed, .241 Average.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-05-2014 at 08:55 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,164
    Like
    19
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking legs for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU

    Yeah, he looks smooth and does have a good stride. Most Twins pitchers don't stride much and I hope shortening the stride is not an organizational decision that they will later do with Thorpe.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,412
    Like
    165
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.
    He's far enough away that I think you can say potential ace.

    What I've read is 3 potential plus pitches though needing refinement. He's a lefty already throwing in the low 90s and can hit 95. He could add a few ticks to that as he ages. Scouts have said he'd be a first rounder this June if he was in the draft, so he's a good prospect. He's 17 also, so dominating the GCL at that age is impressive (though GCL dominance doesn't mean what it would had he dominated the MWL). He continued doing this in the Aussie league where his competition is much much older, and some of them have succeeded at higher levels. So in a nutshell, I have a mancrush on him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    433
    Like
    8
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.
    Just an FYI - Never trust the MLB.com's height/weight listings for prospect players.

    Thorpe has added significant weight from when he signed. Baseball America lists him at 6'2" 215 now, and he's gonna add even more.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

  14. #14
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,688
    Like
    32
    Liked 769 Times in 422 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Just an FYI - Never trust the MLB.com's height/weight listings for prospect players.

    Thorpe has added significant weight from when he signed. Baseball America lists him at 6'2" 215 now, and he's gonna add even more.
    Yep, part of the reason he went from a marginal signing to "holy crap" is that he put on 50 lbs (!) in one year, which corresponded in an uptick from a high 80s fastball to sitting at 92mph with the ability to wick it up to 95 or so.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    433
    Like
    8
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep, part of the reason he went from a marginal signing to "holy crap" is that he put on 50 lbs (!) in one year, which corresponded in an uptick from a high 80s fastball to sitting at 92mph with the ability to wick it up to 95 or so.
    Haha, I feel like I've said the same exact thing around here about 10 times in the last week!
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

  16. #16
    [QUOTE=jokin;194771]Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU

    Coach Lou Brown would not approve of his attire in this video. We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son. But in all seriousness, holy cow is this kid smooth for his age! After the whole Liam Hendriks let down I was ready to write off Aussie baseball for good. Thank you Lewis Thorpe for restoring my faith in your fair continent.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    With my admittedly strong bias, I'm kind of hoping the Twins will look at what he did in winter ball and conclude there's no good reason for him to spend much, if any, time in Elizabethton. I assumed after last season that that's where he'd spend most of 2014, but if Australian Winter League is really comparable to Class A or higher, then there's not much point in having him spend half a season dominating a lower level just because it's the "next natural step."

    I don't believe in rushing guys, but I also don't like the idea of essentially wasting a year of development by letting a pitcher throw at a level lower than what he's already demonstrated dominance over.

  18. #18
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,688
    Like
    32
    Liked 769 Times in 422 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    With my admittedly strong bias, I'm kind of hoping the Twins will look at what he did in winter ball and conclude there's no good reason for him to spend much, if any, time in Elizabethton. I assumed after last season that that's where he'd spend most of 2014, but if Australian Winter League is really comparable to Class A or higher, then there's not much point in having him spend half a season dominating a lower level just because it's the "next natural step."
    If Thorpe stays in Elizabethton, I suspect it would be for maturation reasons, not talent reasons. Not that the kid is immature or anything, just that I know the Twins like to keep the younger kids at the lower levels where the spotlight is dimmer and the venues smaller.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    255
    Like
    9
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Between Lewis Thorpe, Stephen Gonsalves, and Felix Jorge, not to mention Kohl Stewart, the Twins added a big group of very high upside arms in the last 12 months. Of course, they also added Alex Meyer and Trevor May in the past 14 months, so that is 6 significant arms added in short order.

    I would kind of like to add Phil Hughes to this list of high upside arms, but I am not sure it fits in the same category.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Triple-A amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    333
    Like
    13
    Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Chris Sale comp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.