Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #9 Lewis Thorpe

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,443
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241

    Article: TD Top Prospects: #9 Lewis Thorpe


  2. #2
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    204
    Like
    8
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.
    Let's not tag him yet, he's got a long ways to go.

    Plus there isn't much info to gauge a comparision.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,520
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    OK, we won't tag him, but consider MLB pitchers who are:

    1.) Left-handed,
    2.) sit 92-93, and touch 95
    3.) have four big league pitches
    4.) has terrific control

    Now add four years or so of actual experience and hope for health...

  5. #5
    What excites me is the supposed state of his current delivery and mechanics. I remember hearing on multiple occasions that he has solid mechanics in his delivery (however I cannot seem to remember where) and after watching him throw on YouTube, to my untrained eye, he looks solid and fluid with no "herky-jerky" action. His fast growing body coupled with his delivery/age/succes (albeit short lived thus far) have me eager to observe how he develops from now on. He currently sits at #8 on my list, in between Berrios and Kepler. However upside is a key aspect to my personal rankings (along with my desire for unique international players to help assist baseball cross borders around the world). I am also interested in following fellow Aussie pitcher Sam Gibbons.

  6. #6
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,752
    Like
    877
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    OK, we won't tag him, but consider MLB pitchers who are:

    1.) Left-handed,
    2.) sit 92-93, and touch 95
    3.) have four big league pitches
    4.) has terrific control

    Now add four years or so of actual experience and hope for health...
    Yup. Plus those smooth mechanics- which should mitigate some of the health concerns and, with a developing body, portent another incremental velocity uptick eventually to the mid-to-high-90s. All of which is why I think he should be ranked as the #3 Twins overall pitching prospect, behind only Meyer and Stewart.

  7. #7
    People are talking about his smooth mechanics, but wasn't he the guy with the whadyacallit inverted M or just plain Dubya?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    322
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thorpe was one of the most dominant pitchers in the Aussie League this winter. Lineups he faced included mostly High A ball players with some AA, AAA and a few big leaguers mixed in. His performance there tells me he will likely see Cedar Rapids this spring/summer.

  9. #9
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,752
    Like
    877
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    People are talking about his smooth mechanics, but wasn't he the guy with the whadyacallit inverted M or just plain Dubya?
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU


    Last edited by jokin; 02-05-2014 at 08:47 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,147
    Like
    101
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Thorpe was one of the most dominant pitchers in the Aussie League this winter. Lineups he faced included mostly High A ball players with some AA, AAA and a few big leaguers mixed in. His performance there tells me he will likely see Cedar Rapids this spring/summer.
    Here are his numbers in the offseason. Like you point out, safe to say much better competition than the rookie league he was in least year and he just turned 18 in November.

    7 starts, 36.2 IP, 3-2, 2.45 ER, 30 K, 10 BB, 1.22 WHIP, 1 HR allowed, .241 Average.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-05-2014 at 08:55 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking legs for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU

    Yeah, he looks smooth and does have a good stride. Most Twins pitchers don't stride much and I hope shortening the stride is not an organizational decision that they will later do with Thorpe.

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    417
    Liked 816 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    A seventeen-year-old is tough to gauge, but right now, what's his ceiling? Throw out the name of a HoFer caliber pitcher to make me happy.
    He's far enough away that I think you can say potential ace.

    What I've read is 3 potential plus pitches though needing refinement. He's a lefty already throwing in the low 90s and can hit 95. He could add a few ticks to that as he ages. Scouts have said he'd be a first rounder this June if he was in the draft, so he's a good prospect. He's 17 also, so dominating the GCL at that age is impressive (though GCL dominance doesn't mean what it would had he dominated the MWL). He continued doing this in the Aussie league where his competition is much much older, and some of them have succeeded at higher levels. So in a nutshell, I have a mancrush on him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    505
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    28
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.
    Just an FYI - Never trust the MLB.com's height/weight listings for prospect players.

    Thorpe has added significant weight from when he signed. Baseball America lists him at 6'2" 215 now, and he's gonna add even more.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,120
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Just an FYI - Never trust the MLB.com's height/weight listings for prospect players.

    Thorpe has added significant weight from when he signed. Baseball America lists him at 6'2" 215 now, and he's gonna add even more.
    Yep, part of the reason he went from a marginal signing to "holy crap" is that he put on 50 lbs (!) in one year, which corresponded in an uptick from a high 80s fastball to sitting at 92mph with the ability to wick it up to 95 or so.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    505
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    28
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep, part of the reason he went from a marginal signing to "holy crap" is that he put on 50 lbs (!) in one year, which corresponded in an uptick from a high 80s fastball to sitting at 92mph with the ability to wick it up to 95 or so.
    Haha, I feel like I've said the same exact thing around here about 10 times in the last week!
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  16. #16
    [QUOTE=jokin;194771]Maybe he has ths problem out of the stretch, but in this video I see a high kick, a long stride and very little shoulder stress. Pretty muscular-looking thighs and glutes for 6'1" and 160#s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sv485wyxyU

    Coach Lou Brown would not approve of his attire in this video. We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son. But in all seriousness, holy cow is this kid smooth for his age! After the whole Liam Hendriks let down I was ready to write off Aussie baseball for good. Thank you Lewis Thorpe for restoring my faith in your fair continent.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    With my admittedly strong bias, I'm kind of hoping the Twins will look at what he did in winter ball and conclude there's no good reason for him to spend much, if any, time in Elizabethton. I assumed after last season that that's where he'd spend most of 2014, but if Australian Winter League is really comparable to Class A or higher, then there's not much point in having him spend half a season dominating a lower level just because it's the "next natural step."

    I don't believe in rushing guys, but I also don't like the idea of essentially wasting a year of development by letting a pitcher throw at a level lower than what he's already demonstrated dominance over.

  18. #18
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,120
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    With my admittedly strong bias, I'm kind of hoping the Twins will look at what he did in winter ball and conclude there's no good reason for him to spend much, if any, time in Elizabethton. I assumed after last season that that's where he'd spend most of 2014, but if Australian Winter League is really comparable to Class A or higher, then there's not much point in having him spend half a season dominating a lower level just because it's the "next natural step."
    If Thorpe stays in Elizabethton, I suspect it would be for maturation reasons, not talent reasons. Not that the kid is immature or anything, just that I know the Twins like to keep the younger kids at the lower levels where the spotlight is dimmer and the venues smaller.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    334
    Like
    26
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Between Lewis Thorpe, Stephen Gonsalves, and Felix Jorge, not to mention Kohl Stewart, the Twins added a big group of very high upside arms in the last 12 months. Of course, they also added Alex Meyer and Trevor May in the past 14 months, so that is 6 significant arms added in short order.

    I would kind of like to add Phil Hughes to this list of high upside arms, but I am not sure it fits in the same category.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    515
    Like
    44
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Chris Sale comp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.