Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: MLB Power Rankings #29: Minnesota Twins

Article: MLB Power Rankings #29: Minnesota Twins

Here is the article http://statsports.net/?p=73 . People are pretty down on the Twins for this year, what do you guys think. Spring Training is almost upon us and I'm getting excited.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Sounds about right. That does not mean that there won't be more entertaining baseball played by the team this year, with interest rising as the kids make their way up the ladder.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Who is #30?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

4. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-06-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eandb17 View Post
    Here is the article http://statsports.net/?p=73 . People are pretty down on the Twins for this year, what do you guys think. Spring Training is almost upon us and I'm getting excited.
    It's hard to give much credibility to a guy, whose analysis includes lauding the Twins for having one of the best catchers in the game, in Joe Mauer for 2014...

"Wait... Are you telling me President Kennedy has been shot?"
    Last edited by gmarais66; 02-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I think we'll be slightly better this year - at least for a bit although we might fall off in the second half when they trade a bunch of guys (I think we'll trade Hammer, Correa and Perkins this year and maybe another bullpen arm. And Plouffe could go too). I suspect we'll go something like 72-90. I think our pitching staff will be adequate and keep the team in games but the offense will lag behind. But the games should be a lot more fun to watch, esp when the young guys come up in the second half and we get to see an OF of (hopefully) Hicks, Buxton and Arcia in Sept and watch Sano hit homers after the super 2 cut off date and Meyer on the mound. They'll struggle but the foundation will be set.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    For the record, it says this is written by a 17 year old kid. But ESPN clocked us in at 28 I believe.

Considering the team's expected w/l was 61-101 last year. I think even getting to 67/68 wins constitutes a significant improvement in addition to just being more competitive in general.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meh. I don't see how the White Sox are going to leapfrog the Twins this season. They're a bad team that lost a few players and didn't get younger enough to make an impact. They're going to be bad for a very long time.

9. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-06-2014), James (02-07-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    Too soon.

11. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-06-2014), James (02-07-2014), scottz (02-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    It's hard to give much credibility to a guy, whose analysis includes lauding the Twins for having one of the best catchers in the game, in Joe Mauer for 2014...

"No way???? We've landed on the MOON!"

13. These 2 users like Joe A. Preusser's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (02-07-2014), Trautmann13 (02-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    What's the difference between 29th and 23rd?--six places in the draft. Realistically, both teams are losers, but one will be better positioned to help themself in the draft the next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    What's the difference between 29th and 23rd?--six places in the draft. Realistically, both teams are losers, but one will be better positioned to help themself in the draft the next year.
    Agreed

I forget the exact breakdown but until about seven games left last year the Twins could have gotten as high as three in the draft or as low as 16. There's not much difference among the have-nots these days.

Power rankings are silly, but if the writer is 17 I'll give him credit. Writing a sports blog is probably a more productive way to further his career goals than what I did. If I recall correctly my path was basically sitting around looking for excuses to be unproductive and answering " I don't know" when someone would ask me what I wanted to do with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Meh. I don't see how the White Sox are going to leapfrog the Twins this season. They're a bad team that lost a few players and didn't get younger enough to make an impact. They're going to be bad for a very long time.
    Well, for one, if the two teams played the same as last year the White Sox would be highly likely to outperform us. Their expected win/loss was 66 to our 61.

And if Abreu is the real deal I'd argue they are almost certainly a better team than us next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    The salt in the wound for Chicago is that their farm system ranks #26, a slot or two better than Detroit's.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    It's February and I have absolutely no influence on the team. Nor do I plan to head to Las Vegas or any other betting locale.

So what they heck, Twins go from worst to first and finish in the top 5 in MLB.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Agreed

Power rankings are silly, but if the writer is 17 I'll give him credit. Writing a sports blog is probably a more productive way to further his career goals than what I did. If I recall correctly my path was basically sitting around looking for excuses to be unproductive and answering " I don't know" when someone would ask me what I wanted to do with my life.

Sounds like the path I'm still on. Only now I know I ended that sentence with a preposition and hate myself a little for it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, for one, if the two teams played the same as last year the White Sox would be highly likely to outperform us. Their expected win/loss was 66 to our 61.

And if Abreu is the real deal I'd argue they are almost certainly a better team than us next year.
    Eh, I don't see it. The Sox have zero depth, few breakout players on the roster, several old men, and little hope.

If the Twins' rotations stays anywhere close to healthy and see some maturation from the likes of Hicks, Arcia, Plouffe, Parmelee, or almost anybody on offense, I think they're a better team.

Not to mention the impact guys like Sano or Meyer might have in the second half of the season.

Neither team will be very good but the Sox don't even have hope on their side.

Eh, I don't see it. The Sox have zero depth, few breakout players on the roster, several old men, and little hope.
    Isn't that exactly our situation too? Our breakout players are likely not on the roster to start the year (except maybe Arcia and sophomore players are hardly shoe-ins to mature), we are relying on a bunch of old guys, and our offense is depressing to look at.

Let's try to be objective here. The White Sox played their competition better overall than we did, but due to bad luck or whatever finished worse. Their hope players are Eaton, Abreu, Garcia, and Viciedo. Their rotation, almost by the strength of Sale alone is probably better. Right now, I like their overall 25 man roster better than ours for next year. But it's likely the last year anyone would say that in their right mind.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the Twins' rotations stays anywhere close to healthy and see some maturation from the likes of Hicks, Arcia, Plouffe, Parmelee, or almost anybody on offense, I think they're a better team.

Not to mention the impact guys like Sano or Meyer might have in the second half of the season.

Neither team will be very good but the Sox don't even have hope on their side.
    Sounds like you're underselling what the Sox accomplished both in-season last year in trading off their veterans and in their offseason upgrades- admittedly not a very good offensive team, but, in comparison to the Twins, at least they addressed the issue and landed one wild card, huge breakout potential bat in Abreu and a minor breakout bat in Eaton, but most importantly, you're underselling a far superior Starting Staff:

1) ZiPS projects Chris Sale has the second-highest projected WAR value among SPs in 2014....The true Ace that the Twins lack.

2a) The combined projected ZiPS WAR for the Sox SPs is 11.2...for the Twins, 3.3.

2b) The Sox top 4 Starters all project higher ZiPS WAR than the Twins second highest projected pitcher, Phil Hughes (0.8 zWAR).

3) The average ZiPS projected ERA+ per SP on the Sox is 108.2...for the Twins, 84.6.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-06-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Sox staff doesn't scare me at all outside of Sale. They were a real bad defensive team last year and I don't see any evidence they addressed that problem and that will keep those lofty projections of the starting staff unrealized in my opinion.

The White Sox were horrible to watch last year much like the Twins. Just a team that needed to slug to cover their other shortcomings and they didn't and they packed it in.

The Twins defense is OK and that will help them keep games close enough to win a couple but they have a problem with the lack of speed on the current roster because if Willingham and Plouffe dry up this year like they did last year. The Twins don't have another way to get the job done. I don't want another year of station to station baseball but the roster looks like it might be.

I know we can't wait for Sano to show up and start hitting bombs but I think decent MLB play from Aaron Hicks would be the bigger boost in 2014. Both teams have to dig in like they didn't do in 2013.

We need SPEED... Not stolen bases per se... Just flat out Run of the mill speed.

Who's better between the White Sox and Twins? I don't know... But if they both don't start playing better more inspired baseball with pride... Who's taller... Ronnie James Dio or Udo Dirkschneider? Is a similar question.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 02-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

24. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-07-2014), James (02-07-2014)

Personally I think the Twins will do better....Adding Nolasco, Hughes and bringing back Pelfrey year two off of TJ, Corriea and some combo of Kyle Gibson/Sam Deduno(depending on coming back from injury)/Scott Diamond (coming back to form)/ Vance Worley (coming back to form) the Twins have a chance to have a competent rotation.

That being said think that puts them at ~20.

Wouldn't be the worst thing to have one more draw at the high-end talent other than having to watch another year of it....It's my guess they pop up a bit and we get to see Meyer and Sano at the end of the year so some good stuff coming (Only good thing Bill Smith did is get Sano)

26. This user likes abnormal_1's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-07-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast