Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TD Top Prospects: #6 Jose Berrios

@OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love this kid. Would he top any organizational prospect lists?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he also encountered some resistance as he discovered he could not always throw his speedball by you to make you look like a fool.

Ahahahahahahahahah.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ahahahahahahahahah.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I saw him the other day. I was walkin' in, he was walkin' out.

Nice.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wondering if his stature and delivery make him a reliever long term. Guys who rely on hiding the ball and 3/4 deliveries tend to have better success as relievers. Once the opposition starts picking up the ball out of the hand, it gets tougher for guys like Berrios. If he can come in for a couple of innings at a time, they never get used to his release point. The exceptions are guys who have a good sinker, like Masterson, which Berrios does not, judging by his GB rates.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong (again), but I don't think 6' 0" is much of a "generous" measurement. I'm just a bit over that, myself, and when I would talk to him last summer, I don't ever recall feeling like I was looking down. Our eyes were pretty much the same level. Not an exact way of measuring height, I grant you.

Ironically, the one thing about Berrios that bothered me a little is also one of the reasons I think he could eventually really get better.

There were times, when errors were made behind him or he gave up a couple extra-base hits in an inning, that he lost his composure a bit on the mound. In other words, he acted like a lot of 19-year-olds would. Often, that's when he'd just try to "throw that speedball by you" and the results weren't typically good for Berrios or the Kernels.

As the summer went along, that happened less frequently. I think, as he matures, he'll keep his composure and make smarter pitches in those situations. That can do nothing but help his numbers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of season Berrios can put together this summer.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong (again), but I don't think 6' 0" is much of a "generous" measurement.
    Right, he very well could be six-even but I'm always skeptical of media guide height measurements.

How do I know you are not lying about your height??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Right, he very well could be six-even but I'm always skeptical of media guide height measurements.

How do I know you are not lying about your height??
    Both good points.

It wouldn't be the first time my height was exaggerated. The game program for the JuCo basketball team I was a member of once listed me at 6' 11".
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Love this kid. Would he top any organizational prospect lists?
    He might possibly be regarded as the White Sox' best prospect and would rank as the best pitching prospect were he in either Detroit's or Cleveland's system I think.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    How tall was Johan Santana?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ahahahahahahahahah.
    I know this was a Boss reference, but your reaction is more Barney:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    "I know this was a Boss reference, but your reaction is more Barney" Great theme song for Seth and the other Twins optimists (includes me). I really hope you have young kids.

13. This user likes Dantes929's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    "It wouldn't be the first time my height was exaggerated. The game program for the JuCo basketball team I was a member of once listed me at 6' 11". " Did you have an afro? (Sorry, just figured since we are already referencing 80's culture I would throw a Fletch in there.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "It wouldn't be the first time my height was exaggerated. The game program for the JuCo basketball team I was a member of once listed me at 6' 11". " Did you have an afro? (Sorry, just figured since we are already referencing 80's culture I would throw a Fletch in there.)
    No. Actually my afro showed up about 3 months later. (I wish I was kidding. Mine didn't look as good as Fletch's.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "I know this was a Boss reference, but your reaction is more Barney" Great theme song for Seth and the other Twins optimists (includes me). I really hope you have young kids.
    I hope the Glory Days referrence isn't any indicator of Barrios success, because it seems to me the implication of the song is that the guy never made it and his best days were behind him.

Long Live the Boss!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    How tall was Johan Santana?
    Santana was 6' but he was left handed and had a 70+ grade change up. Neither of those things Berrios has.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I talked to Berrios for about a minute at Twins Fest. I'm not 6-0, and he's not much taller than me... The general scouting belief is that because of his height and his skinniness, he may end up in the bullpen due to durability, but you never know. He's very young, but he's certainly intriguing.

I have never had any ball player live with me that has any better work ethic than Jose. The first to bed every night following the Elizabethton Twins ballgames and up eating Fruit Loops before I left for work every morning. He is bright, happy and has a very easy going personality. Loves his cookies and cream ice cream - but shrimp make him go "POOF"! Can't wait to see him next month in Fort Myers.

20. These 4 users like Madre Dos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-07-2014), cmathewson (02-08-2014), Jim Crikket (02-08-2014), wagwan (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Madre Dos View Post
    I have never had any ball player live with me that has any better work ethic than Jose. The first to bed every night following the Elizabethton Twins ballgames and up eating Fruit Loops before I left for work every morning. He is bright, happy and has a very easy going personality. Loves his cookies and cream ice cream - but shrimp make him go "POOF"! Can't wait to see him next month in Fort Myers.
    I love when Madre Dos drops comments like this! It's a great reminder that these players are real people. It makes following prospects that much better. Don't feed Jose Berrios shrimp. That advice may never come in handy for me, but I'm taking note anyway

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 338 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    He might possibly be regarded as the White Sox' best prospect

and would rank as the best pitching prospect were he in either Detroit's or Cleveland's system I think.

Jose Abreu, Eric Johnson and Micah Johnson cast dissenting votes from the WhiteSox.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-07-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast