Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: VOTE: Most Iconic Twins Moment

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Ditto, my thoughts exactly......slight edge to Kirby's game 6 HR though, just because it was a single moment, where Morris' was played out over the entire game.
    The "moment" for Morris's game might be when he came back out for the 10th. A real "wow" moment that still sends chills of anticipation for me. As an iconic moment, it is different than the others mentioned, as it wasn't yet a done deal, and it only becomes iconic because of the final result.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-06-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The "moment" for Morris's game might be when he came back out for the 10th. A real "wow" moment that still sends chills of anticipation for me. As an iconic moment, it is different than the others mentioned, as it wasn't yet a done deal, and it only becomes iconic because of the final result.
    Good point, I never thought of it that way.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I would have to say Hunter mis-playing that ball in the playoffs ranks up there.

Liked 1,215 Times in 552 Posts
    I agree with longdistancetwins...Hrbek's GS. I still get excited even now whenever I watch it.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: VOTE: Most Iconic Twins Moment

My list:

1. Puckett's HR
    2. Gene Larkin drives in Dan Gladden
    Big gap
    3. Game 163 walk-off (gets bonus points because I saw it in person)
    4. Hrbek's salami.
    5. ALCS party
    6. Hrbek/Gant (the controversy is the only reason anyone remembers it)
    7/8. Killebrew HR/Allison's catch (these were before my time)

Honorable mention:
    That game where we turned two triple plays.
    Winning in the wild card round a year after contraction.
    Thome's walk-off HR against the Chisox
    Kubel's monster straightaway cf upper deck home run in game 163. (Again, I was there )
    Kubel's upper deck grand slam to complete cycle/huge comeback.
    That Morneau HR that broke the scoreboard in Milwaukee.
    Something Mauer related. (Sad that the second greatest Twin of my lifetime doesn't have a signature moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever34 View Post
    My list:

Something Mauer related. (Sad that the second greatest Twin of my lifetime doesn't have a signature moment.
    Hey, it's got to be Mauer beating out Jeter for his first batting title in 2006, at the same time we were surprise winners of the division on the last day of the season. Mauer became the first AL catcher to win. It's hard to get better than that!!

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 301 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    '91
    1. The catch
    2. The homer
    3. The shutout
    4. Hrbek takedown
    5. The deke

'87
    1. Gladden homer
    2. Hrbek homer

'65
    1. Sandy vs. Kitty
    2. The other catch
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

My list:

Honorable mention:
    That game where we turned two triple plays.
    Good mention. I swear I did not read or know anything about this in advance: I was just glancing at the box score the next day (in New York, I didn't get much Twins news in the pre-Internet days), and my eye fell upon the "TP, Min, 2." Couldn't believe it. I did cut out the box score and still have the curled up yellow piece of paper.

I did have a strange gut feeling about the 1990 Twins: that they really weren't a last place team, and that they would do something with their good pitching and defense.

Gad, so many moments. I was at the ALCS celebration in '87. I remember dome officials not expecting the place to jammed like it was.

Kent Hrbek sprawled out face down up the first base line, foot on first, snagging a throw from Gary Gaetti is probably the most memorable defensive play I've ever seen. Although, Nick Punto rolling the ball to Casilla with his glove, while face down, is right up there. Allan Anderson doubling a guy off first after diving to field a bunt that was popped foul was another incredible play. Mickey Hatcher diving for a ball and the ball winding up under his cap, which came off during the dive, was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen, defensively. (I think it was Hatcher, could be wrong)

Anyway, Puckett's catch and blast are the moments that really stand out for me.

Jack Morris' complete game in Game 7 of the '91 Series may not be an iconic moment, but it definitely is iconic.

Les Straker's meltdown after being called for a balk (dropped the ball while on the rubber) at Busch Stadium exemplified Twins post season road futility in the '87 Series.

One of the things I love about baseball is that just as soon as you think you've seen everything, something wild and weird happens. Such as a wild pitch during an intentional walk.

I think that the iconic moment from Morris' complete game in '91 was when he walked out of the dugout to start the 10th inning. I still get chills thinking about that moment.

12. This user likes nojo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    Good mention. I swear I did not read or know anything about this in advance: I was just glancing at the box score the next day (in New York, I didn't get much Twins news in the pre-Internet days), and my eye fell upon the "TP, Min, 2." Couldn't believe it. I did cut out the box score and still have the curled up yellow piece of paper.

I did have a strange gut feeling about the 1990 Twins: that they really weren't a last place team, and that they would do something with their good pitching and defense.
    My Dad was at that game but sadly missed the 2nd triple play while he was in the bathroom.

To the rescue.. one of the most athletic plays any baseball player anywhere will ever make:

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 9.44.28 PM.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.409800

15. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (02-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by DedunoTheMuffinMan? View Post
    My Dad was at that game but sadly missed the 2nd triple play while he was in the bathroom.
    Oh, dear. That was at Boston? He could have felt like Walter Matthau in movie The Odd Couple, who misses a triple play when Felix calls him.

I'm not 60, so I can't speak to the Killebrew events, but I was an 11-year-old on my one and only weekend trip to the Met on 6/26/77. Twins beat the ChiSox 19-12 to move in first place. Carew had four hits. Glenn Adams had a grand slam and a team-record 8 RBIs after getting booed for misplaying a ball the day before. A drunk guy tried to climb the left field foul pole, and I seem to remember the Sox 1B coach (Minnie Minoso?) getting thrown out as the crowd went nuts.

I think the regular season attendance record for the Met was set that day, but my brother-in-law and I know that the record was two less than the announced 46,463. It was Rod Carew Jersey Day and all the kids got a t-shirt. Paul wanted one badly enough that we bought an extra two tickets for the bleachers, went in and got the shirt, walked back out and then entered at our real seats down the first base line.

It's probably behind the 1991 series, but that day will probably always be MY iconic Twins moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    ...I also think Carew's 4 hit June 26 game that left him with an avg over .400 during his 1977 MVP year should have been on the list.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You didn't mention my favorite. The Day Killebrew saved Carew's life.
    Opening Day 1969. Rod Carew on 3rd. Gaylord Perry pitching for the Rangers.Harmon Killebrew at the plate. Carew fakes a steal of home and Perry ignores him. The next pitch Carew goes to steal home and Killebrew almost killed Carew with a 1/2 swing. He stopped his swing at the last second and Carew was safe. You had to be there.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Just so everybody knows, I asked my followers on Twitter for the nominees for this poll. There have been a lot of iconic moments in the franchise history but I thought this was a good list.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's the updated standings after the weekend:

1. Kirby's Catch
    2. Larkin's walk-off
    3. Hrbek's Grand Slam
    4. ALCS Celebration
    5. Hrbek tags Gant
    6. Casilla's Walk-Off
    7. Killebrew's bomb
    8. Allison's catch

Are there any surprises in the current standings?

How about the DP with the bases loaded in Game 7 in 91 and Hrbek pumping his arm? That is the most memorable play for me. Others for me: Killebrew hitting it over the roof at Tiger Stadium; Carew chasing .400; Cesar Tovar playing all positions; Casilla's walkoff; Morris and Kelly having that conversation in the bottom of the ninth and you knew Morris was heading out there; Kirby's catch; Twins facing Koufax in 65; Ray Scott telling Halsey Hall "You can get up from underneath the table" after the Twins clinch the AL in 65.

I love that Halsey Hall story -- that one was just before my time so much appreciated. And that's about how I felt when Eddie G almost blew that Game 5 out in Oakland in 2002

Two other Iconic moments which probably fall outside the top ten but deserve mention (or reminiscence): Puckett getting 10 hits in 2 games in Milwaukee (he probably swung at the first pitch on each one) and Morneau's big homer against Zumaya in Detroit in 2006. I think both of those were in August. Ahh to have a pennant race again...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast