Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: VOTE: Most Iconic Twins Moment

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    48 years old, and been a Twins fan since I was about 5. My exposure to the Twins for a majority of my life was a few games on cable at my grandmother's house growing up in South Dakota, but mostly on 57.0 WNAX out of Yankton on transistor, car and alarm clock radios. Fighting static on late night games, and my father teaching me the game on weekends or travels in the car. The professional, dignified voice of Herb Carneal will always be THE TWINS for me. I even recall watching/helping my father and family members milk cows in the evening at my grandfather's farm in northern South Dakota on visits, and me listening to a little radio hung up on a hook and offering up updates on the current game.

I remember the Calvin Griffin era very well. I remember Koosman, Goltz and Marshall fondly, amongst others. Cubbage, Wilfong, Smalley and Wynegar and others. I can even recall Carew before leaving for the west coast. I sat in my first car cheering on Gaetti, Hrbek, Brunansky and others in the early 80's when a young kid named Kirby Puckett made his MLB debut. So many other memories over the years! But for all those years, while both World Series wins were memorable and completely thrilling, the '87 victory holds a special place for me.

I remember total excilleration that my team had finally climbed the mountain, and was brought to tears with utter joy. My only regret being that my father and I, living 3 hours apart, were unable to watch the series together.

Perhaps strangely, what I remember most was not the series itself, but the ALCS between the Twins and the Tigers. The Twins went from worst to first that year, and the Tigers won 98 games, the best record in all of baseball, and were the prohibitive favorite. The Twins out pitched and outplayed Sparky Anderson's boys. One of the strangest memories I have is of Randy Bush having a great series and surprising with a couple key SB. And those games I was able to watch with my father. And there was a sense that something was happening with our team that was special.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    You didn't mention my favorite. The Day Killebrew saved Carew's life.
    Opening Day 1969. Rod Carew on 3rd. Gaylord Perry pitching for the Rangers.Harmon Killebrew at the plate. Carew fakes a steal of home and Perry ignores him. The next pitch Carew goes to steal home and Killebrew almost killed Carew with a 1/2 swing. He stopped his swing at the last second and Carew was safe. You had to be there.
    Interesting, but I'd like more details. The Rangers didn't exist yet, and I think Gaylord was in the National League. Anybody remember who was pitching?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,184 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    Interesting, but I'd like more details. The Rangers didn't exist yet, and I think Gaylord was in the National League. Anybody remember who was pitching?
    http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/20...-home-in-1969/ :

Ten days later, we’re playing California. I was on third in the seventh inning. The score was tied, and Hoyt Wilhelm, the old knuckleballer, was pitching. His knuckler takes all day to arrive at the plate. It looked appetizing. I flashed a sign to Billy that I thought I could go. He flashed back an okay.
    Harmon [Killebrew] was at the plate. I flashed him the sign. It’s a tap on my belt buckle with my right hand. It appeared he answered by tapping his belt buckle with his right hand. Wilhelm started into the windup. I went. I was coming down the line, and I was amazed to see that Harmon was preparing to hit the pitch: if he swung, I’d end up a double down the left-field line. Suddenly out of the corner of his eye he saw me, and he held back in the nick of time. I came sliding in and beat the knuckleball home. It proved to be the winning run of the game.
    Box score (April 19, 1969):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96904190.shtml

Looks as though it only tied the score, and then they won it in the bottom of the 9th, this time because Killer did take the bat off his shoulder to drive in Uhlaender. Box score (April 19, 1969):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96904190.shtml
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-11-2014 at 03:45 PM.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (02-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The "moment" for Morris's game might be when he came back out for the 10th. A real "wow" moment that still sends chills of anticipation for me. As an iconic moment, it is different than the others mentioned, as it wasn't yet a done deal, and it only becomes iconic because of the final result.
    I would go with that or my favorite moment from the game: the Hrbek-Harper-Hrbek double-play late in the game. The reactions of Hrbek and Morris are forever etched in my mind. Best fist pump ever.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Let me speak for the over 60 crowd. I don't think the two oldest entries ('65 catch and '67 520 ft homer) equal Killebrew's '65 bottom of the ninth, two out home run in the last game before the all star game. That homer that beat the Yankees, perennial league champions, signaled that the Twins just might be for real. In an earlier day, that homer was voted the greatest moment in Twins history (25 year celebration?). I also have a personal attachment as I was in the left field bleachers near where the line drive homer landed.

I also think Carew's 4 hit June 26 game that left him with an avg over .400 during his 1977 MVP year should have been on the list.
    As part of the under 60 crowd I wish I knew those older moments better especially those tied to the '65 World Series. Because of the Long History and moments like those you mentioned, game 163 does not belong in the same list.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Game 163, with Casilla's game winner, was the greatest game I can ever remember. It had everything including the walkoff in a win-or-go-home situation.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wrote a post with the final standings for this poll.

Here are the results: http://www.nodaktwinsfan.com/2014/02...ns-moment.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123