Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Meetup?

Spring Training Meetup?

Maybe? Possibly? I'll be there the 27th - 4th.
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bebé que no tienes que ir a Florida para cumplir amirite?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will be there 3/13-3/17. I hope to meet some familiar screen names then.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be ther around the 21st.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    I'm there now and will continue to be. Let me know and I'll meet you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    And it's been great for us up here, to have a set of ears and eyes down there.

7. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (02-09-2014), Riverbrian (02-09-2014)

Halsey,

What's the word on the construction down there? Are they gonna have minor league spring training at Lee County or will they have to move it over to the old Red Sox minor league facility to start?

They are really keeping it secret. I'm not sure they even know yet if it'll move or be here but there's no word out. I'm getting the sickening feeling it'll be at the Red Sox facility.

I also heard that Hammond Stadium will be shut down in July for the 2nd phase of construction to start and the Miracle will be playing somewhere else.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 784 Times in 492 Posts
    I also heard that Hammond Stadium will be shut down in July for the 2nd phase of construction to start and the Miracle will be playing somewhere else.
    Ack! Now that my folks are year-rounders, I was looking forward to games there ... would they go up to City of Palms? (Would be the most likely, I would think.)

As for ST, I'll be there 9-24 Mar. At least that is the plan today. Had a pet sitting snafu that might make me alter those plans. If I make it, it will make 14 in a row I've attended to some degree; and about ... 18-19(?) over all. Am looking forward to seeing the 'finished' stadium, at least finished from this phase.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

I'm holding off until next year. Has someone posted a "Things To Do In Ft. Myers" thread before?

Interested in CK's question ^^ as well.

Halsey - are there any local favorites for MN transplants?
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 784 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eLee612 View Post
    Interested in CK's question ^^ as well.

Halsey - are there any local favorites for MN transplants?
    What sorts of things are you looking to do? If you are a golfer, I can't help you with that other than I know there are courses around. But there are several parks/preserves in the area that are good to go to. In some cases you can rent bikes or kayaks and explore on your own, or take advantage of guided tours. Sanibel Island offers quite a bit to do including Segway tours, dolphin cruises, the Ding Darling Refuge, the Shell Museum, etc. And of course there's the Edison and Ford Winter Estates. And the most obvious ... baseball and beaches.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

14. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (02-09-2014)

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    David Dorsey just confirmed that the minor leaguers will stay at the Lee County Sports Complex. Good news.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be down there March 22-29.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

That's great news. I wonder where he got his info, I'll have to ask.

New guys here today also, Hughes, Guerrier, Swarzak, Colabello, Hicks, Bernier.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey, does anyone have any good info on hotels and prices and things of that nature? I was down there for 4 days last year but I had a friend who I crashed with who no longer lives in Ft Myers. I haven't booked anything but I have been thinking of making a return trip, especially if the minor leaguers aren't getting moved to a different site. I was trying to think back to last year if there were hotels within walking distance or not? I am pretty much winging it based off my work schedule for now.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There really aren't hotels in walking distance to the Twins complex (unless you really extend your definition far beyond what I would). Hotels near the airport are kind of right in the middle between the Twins and Red Sox sites. I like to stay closer to Ft Myers Beach, but those also get a little more expensive than the budget hotels along the Interstate highway.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to one of our games between the 10th and 14th. Not sure which one yet. I really want to see Sano or Buxton (or both) for the first time.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AScheib50 View Post
    Hey, does anyone have any good info on hotels and prices and things of that nature? I was down there for 4 days last year but I had a friend who I crashed with who no longer lives in Ft Myers. I haven't booked anything but I have been thinking of making a return trip, especially if the minor leaguers aren't getting moved to a different site. I was trying to think back to last year if there were hotels within walking distance or not? I am pretty much winging it based off my work schedule for now.
    Check this out for hotels and bargain ways of getting there. As JC said (or insinuated ) , the nearest hotels are about 3 miles or so to the west of there right by the Daniels Parkway exit of I-75. And they are not bargains. Not sure whether there are any ma and pa motels east or north of there, but I doubt it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Check this out for hotels and bargain ways of getting there. As JC said (or insinuated ) , the nearest hotels are about 3 miles or so to the west of there right by the Daniels Parkway exit of I-75. And they are not bargains. Not sure whether there are any ma and pa motels east or north of there, but I doubt it...
    Alright, thanks for the heads up. Not having a friend to stay with is already a bummer. Had a blast last year and I didn't even get to watch a full minor league game, just batting practice and drills. So I hope to see some minor league games this time around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast