Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Aledmys Diaz: Do we want him and at what cost?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also says 20 teams had scouts in attendance, so I would be surprised if the Twins didn't.

I hope they are aggressive in bidding for him. $30mm? Ok, sounds good.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If he is a MLB ready SS, or will be in a year.....why would you not sign him to a $30MM deal for 4 years or whatever? That's less than a SS would cost in FA.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, given the Twins dearth at the position, giving him 30M if they were convinced he'd stick would be a pretty good deal... Drew would be looking for a similar amount with likely one less year. I'd do it.

4. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Risk taking all around. Those who talk 4/30 are willing to let him walk at age 27 if he proves to be the real thing. Do not know his upside, but if we take the risk would not 6/60 or 7/70 be a better bet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 166 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he signs a 4 year deal, isn't he still under team control at the end of the 4 years? Wouldn't it be arbitration? Why would he be able to walk sooner than other players?

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Risk taking all around. Those who talk 4/30 are willing to let him walk at age 27 if he proves to be the real thing. Do not know his upside, but if we take the risk would not 6/60 or 7/70 be a better bet.
    Ok with me......maybe 4 years with options or something. Either way, if they think he is a legit SS by 2015, there is no reason not to sign him. I have no idea what his talent is.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ok with me......maybe 4 years with options or something. Either way, if they think he is a legit SS by 2015, there is no reason not to sign him. I have no idea what his talent is.
    Any of the players signed would remain under team control for 6 years. You limit risk with a shorter contract. Conversly, if you believe he is the real deal you would sign him for as long as you can.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Any of the players signed would remain under team control for 6 years. You limit risk with a shorter contract. Conversly, if you believe he is the real deal you would sign him for as long as you can.
    I read he would likely need some minor league seasoning so if he signs a 4 year contract and players in the minors when does his service time start?

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are at the minimum 20 teams scouting him. I'm sure if we sign him for around 30 mil he would have had plenty of offers in the 20s. I say this so people realize that if he flops, it's just part of the risk (Nishi). Many seem to be good with the Twins aggressively going after him. Which is good, but don't start bashing in 3 years if he is brutal.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Also, I agree with Mike, we can always use more assets.
    Assets are great. However, going out and signing international players does not automatically make them an asset. By design, the team they sign with most likely offered to pay more than the 29 other MLB teams. Therefore, that player is instantly being paid more than every other team thought he was worth and no team would give up other assets (ie prospects) to acquire him at that price. The player is more of a sunk cost than an asset unless/until he develops as the team hopes.

Compounding on that is the likelihood that many of these players would be willing to sign with a contending team in a major market for less than our middle-America, cellar-dwelling Twins.

Senior Member MVP
    Isn't that true of all players? There is risk in drafting, trading for, or signing players. Always there is risk. The question is, if you have no real SS prospect in your system, and you have money, and you think this guy is a legit SS*, then why not sign him?

*like I said, I have no idea if he's a legit SS prospect or not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    There are at the minimum 20 teams scouting him. I'm sure if we sign him for around 30 mil he would have had plenty of offers in the 20s. I say this so people realize that if he flops, it's just part of the risk (Nishi). Many seem to be good with the Twins aggressively going after him. Which is good, but don't start bashing in 3 years if he is brutal.
    People didn't bash the attempt to bring Nishi in, they bashed the scouting ability of the Twins. Anyone who watched the guy play knew from the get-go he wasn't an MLB caliber SS. There was questions about his range, arm, and bat. He also was simply an above-average player until his one break-out year. There is a reason the Twins got him for so cheap, non of the other MLB teams wanted him.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

14. This user likes Badsmerf's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Diaz might sign in the next day or so. He's been working out for different clubs. I am guessing the Yankees. The Twins would have to make a great offer.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cardinals are in on him, that would be a good sign. Twins will have to make a great offer to get him, hope they do.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Cardinals are in on him, that would be a good sign. Twins will have to make a great offer to get him, hope they do.
    Wonder how well you can evaluate his hitting?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Wonder how well you can evaluate his hitting?
    They rate him as a 60/60 in power and batting,
    compared to Dozier last year 60/45

As for him being under team controll ...NO not , he is a free agent now, you cant force a player back into slavery once he obtained his freedom , so he will be with a team as long as his contract is for....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Cardinals beat writer Joe Strauss says teams other than the Cardinals in talks with Diaz are the Giants, Blue Jays, Yankees, Braves, Phillies, and Mariners. Doesn't mean the Twins aren't but it's not a great sign.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...ScE6p4.twitter

MLBTR linked the article and they make it sound like those are the only teams in negotiations, but if you read Strauss' article he says those are the teams in negotiations that have more experience than the Cardinals when chasing Cuban talent. The Twins have no recent experience in this area so I suppose if they were also talking to Diaz, Strauss would not have listed them as it was not germaine to his point.

That says nothing about how cloak and dagger the Twins are on these matters, would anyone but Diaz and his agent know if the Twins were involved?

Looks like a pipedream at this point, but sounds like we'll know the winner soon.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    They rate him as a 60/60 in power and batting,
    compared to Dozier last year 60/45

As for him being under team controll ...NO not , he is a free agent now, you cant force a player back into slavery once he obtained his freedom , so he will be with a team as long as his contract is for....
    So the 6 year service time wouldn't apply? So he's an international free agent?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm much more willing to do a deal like this than signing Drew. 4/40. Which reminds me. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that Drew remains unsigned.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    So the 6 year service time wouldn't apply? So he's an international free agent?
    I don't fully understand this but I feel like some international guys that are MLB ready or close have signed deals that state they will not be offered arbitration following the deal. I could be wrong but I think in these situations they can put it in the contract. So the 6 year service clock would apply normally unless they sign a contract specifically stating it's for 4 years no matter what type of thing. So after 4 years no matter service time he is a free agent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast