Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Aledmys Diaz: Do we want him and at what cost?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    So the 6 year service time wouldn't apply? So he's an international free agent?

he is 23 , so yes he is an international free agent.

Banned All-Star
    If I understand it correctly , players with 3 years service time in internation play and who have reached age 23 , are in fact free agents, so he will be with a team as long as his contract calls for,(Im hoping for a 6-7 year deal in the 36-42 million dollar range and maybe a nice little signing bonus)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    If I understand it correctly , players with 3 years service time in internation play and who have reached age 23 , are in fact free agents, so he will be with a team as long as his contract calls for,(Im hoping for a 6-7 year deal in the 36-42 million dollar range and maybe a nice little signing bonus)
    This makes more sense than my explanation. I think Nishioka was only signed to 3 years and would have been a free agent afterwards rather than still under team control. Sadly we never had to worry about those later years.

4. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-24-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    KLAW said in chat today that he has not seen him, but some scouts are telling him Diaz is a future platoon guy.....not sure what that means.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    KLAW said in chat today that he has not seen him, but some scouts are telling him Diaz is a future platoon guy.....not sure what that means.
    It could mean they're right, or it could mean those scouts want Diaz so they'll use Klaw to spread dis-information.

Honestly though, if the Cardinals are interested, I think that should make most clubs interested. They appear to know what they are doing.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-20-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    nick, right.....but from what I can tell, if scouts lie to KLAW, he cuts them off.....so I doubt that, but it is certainly possible.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    It's not my money that would be spent but Diaz is more of a top 100 prospect than a top 25 prospect. It's great to add free talent to the org but it seems a little silly throw silly money at him because he's a living, breathing SS prospect.

If he wants to be a FA like other int'l FA's (mostly Japanese players) then he needs to add a clause to his contract granting him FA at the end of the contract because ALL players need 6 years of service time to be unrestricted FA's. This is becoming more common with older int'l FA's though.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Peter GammonsVerified account ‏@pgammo Club take from Aledmys Dias Arizona workout:"Profiles as utility infielder...may struggle at short"

Senior Member MVP
    If true, I'd not pay him anything in FA.....

Too bad, because it is hard to find SS.....
    Lighten up Francis....

11. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Peter GammonsVerified account ‏@pgammo Club take from Aledmys Dias Arizona workout:"Profiles as utility infielder...may struggle at short"
    He'll have to play in one of those independent rookie leagues.

Banned All-Star
    well I to have to rethink Diaz, since our own scouts and now the Yankees ,both teams with glaring holes to the middle infield either this year or next are not in the mix.

14. These 2 users like johnnydakota's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-24-2014), JB_Iowa (02-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    nick, right.....but from what I can tell, if scouts lie to KLAW, he cuts them off.....so I doubt that, but it is certainly possible.
    Well he may say that, but the scouts are much more important to Klaw than he is to them. In fact if I was an orgainzation, I'd play my cards close to the vest, Klaw wouldnt get much from me. Mentioning that, it strikes me that the Twins seem to be just such an organization, and Klaw isn't always the kindest to the Twins. Those two things are likely unrelated, but the guy does seem to have a bit of a vindictive streak.

That being said, with Gammons reporting the same thing clearly there should be some hesitation.

Though Gammons' report shows concern about his defense, I wonder what his source's judgment of his offense is. It's not a popular opinion, but if "may struggle" means below average, I'm fine with that if the bat plays.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-24-2014 at 10:36 AM.

16. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (02-24-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Klaw compliments teams when they make good decisions, and rips them when they don't. Hence this whole "he used to HATE the Twins, but now he doesn't" silliness. The Twins were awful at executing their strategy at the end of Ryan's last term, and Smith was awful at making trades. Why would he not rip them? Now that they've changed things up, and realized where they were, and mostly righted the minors, of course he is now complimentary.

The whole "analyst x hates my team, or doesn't like my favorite player enough" meme is below you Nick, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Klaw compliments teams when they make good decisions, and rips them when they don't. Hence this whole "he used to HATE the Twins, but now he doesn't" silliness. The Twins were awful at executing their strategy at the end of Ryan's last term, and Smith was awful at making trades. Why would he not rip them? Now that they've changed things up, and realized where they were, and mostly righted the minors, of course he is now complimentary.

The whole "analyst x hates my team, or doesn't like my favorite player enough" meme is below you Nick, imo.
    Well that's good since I never said anything like that. The fact of the matter is Klaw and other journalists need the orgainzations and scouts for access. The orgainzations don't need Klaw other then if they really want to disseminate information, a tactic which is pretty contradictory to how the Twins operate.

Senior Member MVP
    "Klaw isn't always the kindest to the Twins."
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    It is more accurate to say Klaw isn't the kindest. Every fan feels klaw hates his or her team. For the Twins the last two years he has given our system plenty of love.

Senior Member MVP
    Klaw is what he is. Extremely open in his praise and criticism. Sarcastic. Sardonic. Occassionly cruel in his ridicule of the inane (though he does love one reality tv show, go figure). Personally, he's the reason I pay for Insider. He's one of the reasons I even go to espn.com. Many others don't agree with my appreciation for his work and style.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Which is a far cry from "analyst x hates my team, or doesn't like my favorite player enough"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Klaw is what he is. Extremely open in his praise and criticism. Sarcastic. Sardonic. Occassionly cruel in his ridicule of the inane (though he does love one reality tv show, go figure). Personally, he's the reason I pay for Insider. He's one of the reasons I even go to espn.com. Many others don't agree with my appreciation for his work and style.
    Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd Mcshay. Best draft coverage on the planet. KLaw and ESPN probably rank 3rd to 4th when it comes to prospects and baseball coverage on the internet. Also KLaw says what is on his mind, plus he rips fans on the site. I agree that a scout/team would perhaps "fib" about a player to KLaw to lower his perceived value in a heartbeat. I agree that he needs teams/scouts more than they need him. He can only scout so many players/teams a year, whereas teams have scouts watching almost every game possible. The Twins had someone watch, in person, all of Kohl Stewart's pitches.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Getting back to the worth of Diaz, if he has a ceiling of utility player/2b then a reasonable signing bonus and make good from there wouldn't be a bad plan.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast