Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 92 of 92

Thread: Article: Twins Claim Brooks Raley from Cubs

  1. #81
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The move is a little off-the-wall but not upsetting. I don't have much interest in the guy but I think the consternation from some comes from the roster spot he's taking up. If we assume he will be removed if/when another free agent is signed then no harm, no foul. But that is an assumption at this point.
    The thing is that teams often need warm bodies in March just to throw ST innings. Maybe the Twins see something in Raley, maybe they don't and just need a warm body to take up space for a month of ST.

    My point is that this move means absolutely nothing until the Twins break north at the end of March. That's when they have to pare down roster sizes and decide who stays and who goes.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    107
    Like
    50
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    You can never have enough (LHP) Pitching.
    In the case of Brooks Raley, yes you can have enough left handed pitching.

  3. #83
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    437
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    The Twins do have a fair number of lefties that are AAA-AAAA-fringe major leaguers. Just how they view all of them, I don't know. Some like Thielbar are clearly short relievers/LOOGY, some probably need seasoning like Ibarra. It seemed like Ryan wasn't real excited about letting Albers go to Korea. Maybe he looked for Albers to fill a specific role this year that Raley might be able to do. Like CMath suggested maybe Raley is Thielbar insurance, more likely he might be viewed as a swingman type.

    Like many have said, I don't get too excited about this kind of pickup. Once in awhile you find a Guerrier, usually you just find out why somebody else put that player on waivers.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I guess I do not understand "finding" a Guerrier, Jim H. That assumes he will be effective, doesn't it and I see no reason why he will be, at least any more so than the righty relief pitchers on the active roster now. He may even wind up on the Rochester roster come opening day.

  5. #85
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    I guess I do not understand "finding" a Guerrier, Jim H. That assumes he will be effective, doesn't it and I see no reason why he will be, at least any more so than the righty relief pitchers on the active roster now. He may even wind up on the Rochester roster come opening day.
    I remember when we first signed Guerrier. Similar reaction. Same with Burton and Fien. But we forget the grays and remember the Fiens. Still, it's an effective way to build a bullpen cheaply.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  6. #86
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Sure it is cheaply but is it effective where Guerrier is concerned? I believe there may have been better options out there and I'll say the same about Kubel as well. And it appears Santana is next. What is the fascination with bringing back ex Twins? Gate receipts, what? Explain it all to us will you please.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    621
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Sure it is cheaply but is it effective where Guerrier is concerned? I believe there may have been better options out there and I'll say the same about Kubel as well. And it appears Santana is next. What is the fascination with bringing back ex Twins? Gate receipts, what? Explain it all to us will you please.
    There may be a few better options than Kubel, but they cost a draft pick. The 2012 Kubel wouldn't be a bad signing . It is a low risk move. As it is, if Kubel is not working out in ST, there is still a likelyhood that one of the FA will still be available to sign.
    If they coached up Guerrier once to an effective reliever, what is the harm in trying again. What is the fascination with ripping on a club for doing a low cost option with someone you have worked well with in the past? There is no harm in trying. Perhaps you would like to try to explain the harm in signng a minor league contract for someone you can cut without cost.

  8. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    howieramone (02-16-2014)

  9. #88
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Sure it is cheaply but is it effective where Guerrier is concerned? I believe there may have been better options out there and I'll say the same about Kubel as well. And it appears Santana is next. What is the fascination with bringing back ex Twins? Gate receipts, what? Explain it all to us will you please.
    I was speaking of the first time we signed him, after he was DFAd from the Pirates, I believe. Anyway, it was greeted with a collective "meh"' except some thought it a waste of a roster spot. It turned out pretty good. Same with Burton and Fein. Those that have not worked out also didn't cost anything. We don't need his roster spot until the end of Spring. If he fails to impress in the Spring, run him through waivers. If you lose him, no big deal. If he can make it through, free talent.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  10. #89
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    There may be a few better options than Kubel, but they cost a draft pick. The 2012 Kubel wouldn't be a bad signing . It is a low risk move. As it is, if Kubel is not working out in ST, there is still a likelyhood that one of the FA will still be available to sign.
    If they coached up Guerrier once to an effective reliever, what is the harm in trying again. What is the fascination with ripping on a club for doing a low cost option with someone you have worked well with in the past? There is no harm in trying. Perhaps you would like to try to explain the harm in signng a minor league contract for someone you can cut without cost.
    Because he was the big offensive addition ...Not another minor piece added after a quality fielder or batter had been signed

  11. #90
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    437
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    The Twins have signed a number of effective relievers off of waivers or as minor league free agents. Guerrier was one and so were Fein and Burton. There have also been a number of not so effective ones as well. I don't have any problem with this proccess and I am not so sure why some do. I don't think it some random thing the Twins do or lets get even with the Cubs for signing our guy.

    I think one thing the Twins do as well or better than most clubs is scout the minors and majors and pay attention to guys on the margins. I remember with Guerrier the Twins liked his curve, thought he was miscast as a starter and eventually developed or found a good reliever in him. It sure doesn't work every time. Most of the guys the Twins sign through waivers or as minor league free agents are just what they appear to be, marginal guys who are somewhat interchangeable. Which is why I don't get very excited about these kind of signings. But, since the Twins are patient, they pay attention, and work through the system, occasionally they "find" a guy that turns into somebody more than a little useful.

  12. This user likes Jim H's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jay (02-16-2014)

  13. #91
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    johnnydakota - do you really believe Kubel is a "big" offensive addition? I certainly do not unless he returns to previous form before his terrible run last year. Pros and cons on Kubel, please.

  14. #92
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    johnnydakota - do you really believe Kubel is a "big" offensive addition? I certainly do not unless he returns to previous form before his terrible run last year. Pros and cons on Kubel, please.
    The biggest pro is low risk. Kubel will have to fight for the DH/OF position to make the team. If he does not perform, he does not make the team. If he performs he does. Parmelee is out of options so at this point he might have the upper hand. I see Kubel (and/or Parmelee) as the replacements for Doumit who hit .247/.314/.396 last season. Kubel's worst full season as a Twin was his .249/.323/.427 2010 season. That is better than Doumit, so there is improvement. If he does not show anything, he goes to Rochester or is cut. Not a big deal. And, unlike Raley, he does not even occupy a 40-man roster spot.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.