2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ncgo4 (02-13-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Nice!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is 45 or 50 home runs actually in jest? Why not?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Nice!
    The intriguing thing might be Sano's floor. If you assume he is a DH his whole career and hits .250, 35-40 HR, 90-100 BB, 100 RBI, well his floor is a rich man's Adam Dunn. Dunn will likely finish his career with over 500 HR, .365 OBP, .860 OPS.

His ceiling is very high obvioulsy. I don't ever see him hitting .320 or .330 like Miguel Cabrera, but that is a comp with one of the best hitters of all time.

Obviously Sano's value hinges a great deal on his ability to stick at 3B. Even if he sticks at 3B for the next 6-7 years. It would be pretty amazing to have a 3B that can hit .260, 35-40 HR, and take 100 BB a year.

6. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ncgo4 (02-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Say what you want about Buxton, but it's Sano and his almost unimaginable power that has saliva running down my chin. Also he has a fire in his belly that screams, "Screw this Minnesota nice BS!" I recall he got beaned or brushed back in a game and came back the next AB and went yard against the same pitcher. While rounding the bases he was pointing or yelling or somehow making sure the pitcher remembered the night's events.

He as the potential to hit a lot of HR's and bring in a lot of runs, but more important he has the personality to change the clubhouse attitude. I can see him driving Gardy absolutely nuts at times and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Fortunately, for us, Mauer will be able to help him harness his emotions in a way that they don't become destructive.

i, for one, cannot wait for his arrival. I think a big key will be what happens in spring this year. If opponents toss him nothing but junk and get a youngster who is anxious to impress to go chasing it could set him back. But if he shows an improved discipline the expectations and frenzy could become really nuts. Both he and Buxton have the potential to make it very uncomfortable for Twins management in spring training this year. Here's hoping they do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Nice write up Seth. If both he and Buxton start the year together at AA ... wow. Can you imagine how many scouts would be at all those games?

Long term, I love Sano. He might struggle a bit at first but his power - esp his RH bat - should play well in TF.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    This might be a good time for potential season ticket holders to check out the upper deck in left field for seats.

After three years of mediocrity at best, Twins fans have hope for the future and no one provides more excitement than Sano. I remember as a kid watching or listening to Twins games until the very end because Killebrew was coming up in the 9th. Or Puckett. Or (in his prime) Morneau. David Ortiz as a Twin was exciting to watch hit--even when he'd swing and miss. With the great ones is possibility that with every pitch he could hit one out. Willingham two years ago fit that mold. Let Sano be Sano and he'll be fantastic. Don't try to change him like we tried to change Ortiz to "use the whole field". The great home run hitters don't need to use the whole field. If Sano never hits a ball to right field, I'm okay with that. Just hit it hard somewhere and utilize the theory "You've got three swings. Don't be afraid to use them." Sano will strike out--but even his K's will be more exciting than any at bat a current Twin can provide, Mauer included.
    Last edited by birddog; 02-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.

why AA

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Nice write up Seth. If both he and Buxton start the year together at AA ... wow. Can you imagine how many scouts would be at all those games?

Long term, I love Sano. He might struggle a bit at first but his power - esp his RH bat - should play well in TF.
    Seth, please explain something for me. If you are correct and the Twins plan to bring Sano up to the majors this year, starting him in AA and skipping AAA, why not start him in AAA? I know teams often due just as you predicted. I certainly due not have enough baseball smarts to say that this is a bad idea, I just don't understand why starting in AAA would not make the transition easier.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post
    Seth, please explain something for me. If you are correct and the Twins plan to bring Sano up to the majors this year, starting him in AA and skipping AAA, why not start him in AAA? I know teams often due just as you predicted. I certainly due not have enough baseball smarts to say that this is a bad idea, I just don't understand why starting in AAA would not make the transition easier.
    Not Seth but I have a few guesses. First, his walk rates and power were just fine in AA but he did have some strike out issues and his avg fell to .236. Nothing wrong with letting him get a little more experience in AA. Second, it lets Sano and Buxton be on the same team. Third, the Twins have had no concerns promoting directly from AA (as have many other teams). And fourth, AAA is sometimes noted for its negative atmosphere as it is full of players who can't quite stick in the majors or feel they got a screw job by their team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    After three years of mediocrity at best, Twins fans have hope for the future and no one provides more excitement than Sano. I remember as a kid watching or listening to Twins games until the very end because Killebrew was coming up in the 9th. Or Puckett. Or (in his prime) Morneau. David Ortiz as a Twin was exciting to watch hit--even when he'd swing and miss. With the great ones is possibility that with every pitch he could hit one out. Willingham two years ago fit that mold. Let Sano be Sano and he'll be fantastic. Don't try to change him like we tried to change Ortiz to "use the whole field". The great home run hitters don't need to use the whole field. If Sano never hits a ball to right field, I'm okay with that. Just hit it hard somewhere and utilize the theory "You've got three swings. Don't be afraid to use them." Sano will strike out--but even his K's will be more exciting than any at bat a current Twin can provide, Mauer included.
    Can we stop with the "Twins ruined David Ortiz power" business. He turned into a great hitter, partially because he could use the whole field in Fenway and because he started taking special vitamins and was hurt a lot less. He was an injury prone, inconsistent hitter with the Twins. That was on him, pure and simple. He needed somebody to blame it on and wasn't man enough to take the blame.

14. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (02-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post
    I am in agreement. I would start him in AAA. I know that they don't hesitate to promote from AA but he would face more experienced pitchers, some with prior MLB experience, in AAA. If he can't handle starting in AAA, all the talk of fast track promotion is really premature.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    "Don't try to change him like we tried to change Ortiz to "use the whole field". The great home run hitters don't need to use the whole field" Type in Dave Ortiz and spray chart and also try "new approach" and let me know what you think. Better yet, look at baseball reference splits. 1275 of his 2023 hits were opposite field or up the middle. 202 of his 431 home runs were opposite field or up the middle. I would much rather Sano drive the pitch according to where it is thrown rather than trying to pull everything. If he resembles Killebrew that would be fine but I would prefer he resemble Cabrerra.

By starting Sano at AA it allows for several scenarios to play out over the course of the year.

1) If Trevor Plouff happens to have a big year, it leaves a level to promote Sano to if he also has a good year.
    2) Sano is not currently on the 40 man roster. If Plouff goes down with an injury and a call up is needed, and Sano is struggling at the time, they can then call up the AAA replacement rather than the AA player who may not be ready.
    3) There are other players in the Twins minor league system. While Sano is on his own advancement path, there are other players that also have their own paths to take. While they may not be the level of prospect as Sano, they still need to play at the level that they need to be at to continue to advance at their own pace. These players still have value to the Twins if only as future trade chips (Romero, Hanson, Waring).
    4) The Twins have several utility players on their 40 man roster. The players that don't make the team need to be assigned somewhere (Bernier, Escobar). Usually that is AAA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    By starting Sano at AA it allows for several scenarios to play out over the course of the year.

1) If Trevor Plouff happens to have a big year, it leaves a level to promote Sano to if he also has a good year.
    2) Sano is not currently on the 40 man roster. If Plouff goes down with an injury and a call up is needed, and Sano is struggling at the time, they can then call up the AAA replacement rather than the AA player who may not be ready.
    3) There are other players in the Twins minor league system. While Sano is on his own advancement path, there are other players that also have their own paths to take. While they may not be the level of prospect as Sano, they still need to play at the level that they need to be at to continue to advance at their own pace. These players still have value to the Twins if only as future trade chips (Romero, Hanson, Waring).
    4) The Twins have several utility players on their 40 man roster. The players that don't make the team need to be assigned somewhere (Bernier, Escobar). Usually that is AAA.
    Number 2 makes sense to me. Number 4 not at all. I believe Escobar will be with the Twins, but organizational depth players like Bernier will have no bearing on where Sano ends up starting or ending the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "Don't try to change him like we tried to change Ortiz to "use the whole field". The great home run hitters don't need to use the whole field" Type in Dave Ortiz and spray chart and also try "new approach" and let me know what you think. Better yet, look at baseball reference splits. 1275 of his 2023 hits were opposite field or up the middle. 202 of his 431 home runs were opposite field or up the middle. I would much rather Sano drive the pitch according to where it is thrown rather than trying to pull everything. If he resembles Killebrew that would be fine but I would prefer he resemble Cabrerra.
    Sorry, but this is misleading. I've researched this before specifically for David Ortiz. While he does get plenty of "opposite field" hits, his power is significantly favored to his pull side. In 2013, 26 of Ortiz's 30 HR's were to the right side of dead center field (pull side). 16 of 23 in 2012. 19 of 29 in 2011. 27 of 32 in 2010. 19 of 28 in 2009. 19 of 23 in 2008... 27 of 35 in 2007. 45 of 54 in 2006...

Definitely don't want Sano to pull everything (just like with pretty much any hitter), but I think it has been clearly demonstrated that Minnesota's "use the whole field" push with Ortiz was detrimental to his power development and antithesis to what made him successful in Boston.

And Cabrera is great at this because he is also a great "hitter." I don't think we'll quite see that with Sano. So I say let him do whatever is needed for him to be successful in his own way, instead of trying to make him something he may not be, like they did with Ortiz.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    "So I say let him do whatever is needed for him to be successful in his own way, instead of trying to make him something he may not be, like they did with Ortiz. " Of course that is true and of course if they told Ortiz to hit to the opposite field then that is wrong. If all they did was coach him to go with the pitch then that is another thing. Doing that a natural pull hitter will still pull the ball more often but if a hitter TRIES to pull every pitch it is not a recipe for success. If you look at the splits he had as a twin they actually skew more to him being a pull hitter with the Twins than he was with the Red Sox. He was actually a pretty good hitter with the Twins and I was sorry to see him go but he did seem to get stronger with the Sox..

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Sorry, but this is misleading. I've researched this before specifically for David Ortiz. While he does get plenty of "opposite field" hits, his power is significantly favored to his pull side. In 2013, 26 of Ortiz's 30 HR's were to the right side of dead center field (pull side). 16 of 23 in 2012. 19 of 29 in 2011. 27 of 32 in 2010. 19 of 28 in 2009. 19 of 23 in 2008... 27 of 35 in 2007. 45 of 54 in 2006...

Definitely don't want Sano to pull everything (just like with pretty much any hitter), but I think it has been clearly demonstrated that Minnesota's "use the whole field" push with Ortiz was detrimental to his power development and antithesis to what made him successful in Boston.

And Cabrera is great at this because he is also a great "hitter." I don't think we'll quite see that with Sano. So I say let him do whatever is needed for him to be successful in his own way, instead of trying to make him something he may not be, like they did with Ortiz.
    I know this is unfair to an extent because many players used and baseball did not test for a long time. I am also aware this will probably rub some people the wrong way. But I do have some doubts about Ortiz's numbers in Boston (early on). The following are facts:

-He could not stay healthy and was not a great DH here. Career high 20 HR and .839 OPS.

-He then goes to Boston and hits 173 HR in 4 years.

-He is best friends with Manny Ramirez, who used.

-He was reported to have failed a test in 2003, by every major outlet.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think we can 100% pin this on the Twins staff with these facts out there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I know this is unfair to an extent because many players used and baseball did not test for a long time. I am also aware this will probably rub some people the wrong way. But I do have some doubts about Ortiz's numbers in Boston (early on). The following are facts:

-He could not stay healthy and was not a great DH here. Career high 20 HR and .839 OPS.

-He then goes to Boston and hits 173 HR in 4 years.

-He is best friends with Manny Ramirez, who used.

-He was reported to have failed a test in 2003, by every major outlet.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think we can 100% pin this on the Twins staff with these facts out there.
    This. Plus this idea that it has been "clearly demonstrated" that the Twins made him use the whole field or go the other way is just not true. This is akin to political statements in Washington that get repeated enough until people begin to take them for facts. I'm sure they, like all organizations tell players that if they try and pull a slider on the outside corner you are going to roll over a weak grounder but they hardly can be blamed for his performance. Good grief, look at Trevor Plouffe - there is no way he plays for an organization that makes players hit the ball exclusively the other way.

Twins did make a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Can we stop with the "Twins ruined David Ortiz power" business. He turned into a great hitter, partially because he could use the whole field in Fenway and because he started taking special vitamins and was hurt a lot less. He was an injury prone, inconsistent hitter with the Twins. That was on him, pure and simple. He needed somebody to blame it on and wasn't man enough to take the blame.
    I have never seen a situation where David Otiz wasn't man enough. Ortiz showed flashes of being the hitter he would become with the Twins, only to have the Twins keep Mathew LeCroix and let Ortiz walk. I can't think of a bigger mistake made by the Twins, including the Nishioka debacle. LeCroix, more famous for eating cockroaches than his hitting or catching prowess, never became anything more than a good old boy who never came close to reaching his potential hitting the way the Twins preferred. My point was that Sano is not only a very talented, young power hitter like Ortiz; he is also a free spirit with a ton of self esteem who knows his style of hitting is just what Twins fans crave. He, like Ortiz, wants to become a leader. He is very young and will make mistakes just like Ortiz did when he first came up, but his style of hitting should eventually bring perennial numbers of .300, 30-40 HRs, and 100+ RBIs. Work on his plate discipline, but let Sano be the hitter he is. He, like Ortiz when the Twins let him go, is a very young man with way too much God-given talent to change his style of hitting.

24. This user likes birddog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (02-13-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast