Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Target Field: Top Three Non-Baseball Things To Eliminate

  1. #21
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,300
    Like
    1,363
    Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    1. $9 beers.
    2. Sushi
    3. $9 beers.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  2. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (02-14-2014), richardkr34 (02-15-2014), zenser (02-14-2014)

  3. #22
    Senior Member Double-A scottz's Avatar
    Posts
    116
    Like
    19
    Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    3) I will echo getting rid of God Bless America mid-game. It is forced patriotism, which I don't care for. The National Anthem at the beginning of the game honors the country and the flag, and that is sufficient. Having another patriotic song in the 7th inning subscribes to a "more is more" theory that is silly. And if it isn't silly, then let's add "Proud to be an American" in the 3rd, "You're a Grand Old Flag" in the 5th, and "This Land is Your Land" with 2 outs in the top of the 9th when the home team has a lead.

    2) While I'm at it, can we please dump the meek fireworks that putt-putt-putt into the air during the National Anthem on cue with the lyrics "and the rockets' red glare"? They are comical and tired. Again, the song can stand on its own and doesn't need the additional pageantry. Trotting out the giant flag for opening day or Veterans Day or Game 1 of the playoffs? Fine. Flying jet fighters overhead for Game 1 of the World Series? OK - Those things are pretty cool. Shooting a few glorified bottle rockets on a Wednesday 12:10 start against the A's? No thanks. Sing the song. Sing it proudly and on key. The rest is rubbish.

    1) No more proposals on camera.

  4. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,777
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Allow other American citizens who have served their country to raise the flag for the National Anthem -- other, meaning people who are not combat veterans but nonetheless serve their country-- like teachers, volunteers, police officers, firemen, and good Samaritans.

    The idea that the only people worthy of raising the flag are those who have served overseas, and been involved in combat and killing, fetishizes war and violence.

    We have a lot of good people in this country. People who sacrifice, serve and believe that their efforts can make a better world. Like teachers, who work every day with kids and help them believe in themselves and engage with important issues. How about an occasional teacher raising the flag? They are baseball fans too.

    Or anyone. The flag-raising ceremony has become a cliche, mechanical moment which is supposed to somehow prove our patriotism, by clapping for and honoring a Veteran for about a minute. Don't get me wrong, my dad served in WWII, I think we all respect and should recognize military service. Giving your life for your country, that's a noble sacrifice. And people do something analogous to that every day, mostly in unrecognized ways, many for decades and decades, serving America, helping those less fortunate and protecting the sick and vulnerable.

    My main beef is actually that by only having Veterans raise the flag, we teach kids that war and killing are heroic things. Actually, they are not. War is a failure. It's a failure when human beings who have evolved over millenia, surviving everything the natural world has thrown at them -- climate, predators, disease, misfortune -- we made it through hundreds of thousands of years, only to kill each other because of ignorance and poor political leadership. That's a tragedy, and the sooner we acknowledge war is a failure, the better.

    But the Twins aren't helping, and the lack of diversity in who raises the flag diminishes all of us, and perpetuates an appalling notion that war and killing is somehow the best thing human beings have ever done and something we should all aspire to. Sad.
    I agree wholemindedly with this!

  5. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    969
    Like
    4
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    2) While I'm at it, can we please dump the meek fireworks that putt-putt-putt into the air during the National Anthem on cue with the lyrics "and the rockets' red glare"? They are comical and tired. Again, the song can stand on its own and doesn't need the additional pageantry. Trotting out the giant flag for opening day or Veterans Day or Game 1 of the playoffs? Fine. Flying jet fighters overhead for Game 1 of the World Series? OK - Those things are pretty cool. Shooting a few glorified bottle rockets on a Wednesday 12:10 start against the A's? No thanks. Sing the song. Sing it proudly and on key. The rest is rubbish.
    The fireworks during the national anthem bother me as well. They're really tacky.

  6. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-15-2014)

  7. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    1. Agree on God Bless America, for a lot of reasons I won't go into here.
    2. Get rid of the lack of trees in CF (cheating a bit here)
    3. snobby baseball people that think there is a right way to watch, enjoy, talk about the game. It is entertatinment, and we don't need you telling us not to do "x" at the game. As long as we aren't blocking your view or hurting you, lighten up.
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    twinsnorth49 (02-14-2014)

  9. #26
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    96
    Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Numbers 1, 2, and 3: They need to kill the sing-along. If I hear "Fishing in the Dark" one more goddamn time, one more time, I swear I will [THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN REDACTED AND THE AUTHOR PLACED ON A "LIST" - SINCERELY, THE NSA]
    This is the thing that most needs to happen.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  10. #27
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,914
    Like
    448
    Liked 592 Times in 320 Posts
    People who can't stand up and cheer with a beer in there hand without spilling it on me. There should be a rule that if you spill your beer on someone, you owe them a beer, simple.

    Ushers who still ask for my ticket stub despite seeing me walk back and forth to my seat every freakin' inning!!!

  11. #28
    +1 on killing "everybody clap your hands" and I'd add the "day-o" thing to that death list too.

    complete ban on Lee Greenwood please

    the karaoke singalong thing can go

    i want standing room tickets!

  12. #29
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,300
    Like
    1,363
    Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    I've thought of one more thing I want gone...ushers who allow people to walk back and forth to their seat every freakin' inning!

    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  13. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (02-14-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-14-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-14-2014)

  14. #30
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,914
    Like
    448
    Liked 592 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I've thought of one more thing I want gone...ushers who allow people to walk back and forth to their seat every freakin' inning!

    Aisle seats Chief, aisle seats......but hey if they want to install portable urinals at the seats, I'll stay seated.

  15. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (02-14-2014)

  16. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    465
    Like
    34
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    1. $9 beers.
    2. Sushi
    3. $9 beers.
    Speaking of beer - don't make me walk all the way from left field to right field to find good beer. I don't want Bud or Lite or any of that. Gimme good homegrown Surly and Summit, and sell it all over the stadium instead of a single place.

  17. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Oxtung (02-16-2014)

  18. #32
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Speaking of beer - don't make me walk all the way from left field to right field to find good beer. I don't want Bud or Lite or any of that. Gimme good homegrown Surly and Summit, and sell it all over the stadium instead of a single place.
    Summit=over rated....but ya, making it hard to get beer, as opposed to "beer", that's just stupid.
    Lighten up Francis....

  19. #33
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,914
    Like
    448
    Liked 592 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I've thought of one more thing I want gone...ushers who allow people to walk back and forth to their seat every freakin' inning!

    And cranky old people.

  20. These 3 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (02-14-2014), snepp (02-14-2014), USAFChief (02-14-2014)

  21. #34
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    96
    Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Speaking of beer - don't make me walk all the way from left field to right field to find good beer. I don't want Bud or Lite or any of that. Gimme good homegrown Surly and Summit, and sell it all over the stadium instead of a single place.
    Dave St. Peter explained why all the good beer was located there at the TD Winter Meltdown. There's a podcast of that around somewhere if you want an answer.

    I still want it closer, but my seats are right by Hrbek's... so I can get Grainbelt Premium there at least.

    I've solved the usher/ticket problem. Learn their name and say hi to them (include their name) when you see them. They stop checking your tickets. I usually have the same usher near my seats and she hasn't checked my ticket in two seasons.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  22. This user likes James's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    twinsnorth49 (02-14-2014)

  23. #35
    More hot dog vendors in the stands! They keep pushing the beer because it makes them the most money, but when I want a hot dog I have to wait three innings and then waive my arms to the hot dog guy over in the next section.

  24. #36
    Junior Member Rookie eLee612's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Like
    10
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    More hot dog vendors in the stands! They keep pushing the beer because it makes them the most money, but when I want a hot dog I have to wait three innings and then waive my arms to the hot dog guy over in the next section.
    And then when you finally DO get the hot dog guy's attention, you realize you just wound up with Mr. Theatrical who nearly takes your eye out with his overly ambitious hot dog extraction methods.

    Please tell me someone knows who I'm talking about...
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

  25. #37

  26. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    I love how Rauch added some flair to the video with badass looks and tattoo display. I'd love for Mauer to have fun and just do something goofy like the HBK theme, to stay with the WWE references.


    Probably the funniest mental image I've had since the new year. Mauer would have to keep the song too!

  27. #39
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    580
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Allow other American citizens who have served their country to raise the flag for the National Anthem -- other, meaning people who are not combat veterans but nonetheless serve their country-- like teachers, volunteers, police officers, firemen, and good Samaritans.

    The idea that the only people worthy of raising the flag are those who have served overseas, and been involved in combat and killing, fetishizes war and violence.

    We have a lot of good people in this country. People who sacrifice, serve and believe that their efforts can make a better world. Like teachers, who work every day with kids and help them believe in themselves and engage with important issues. How about an occasional teacher raising the flag? They are baseball fans too.

    Or anyone. The flag-raising ceremony has become a cliche, mechanical moment which is supposed to somehow prove our patriotism, by clapping for and honoring a Veteran for about a minute. Don't get me wrong, my dad served in WWII, I think we all respect and should recognize military service. Giving your life for your country, that's a noble sacrifice. And people do something analogous to that every day, mostly in unrecognized ways, many for decades and decades, serving America, helping those less fortunate and protecting the sick and vulnerable.

    My main beef is actually that by only having Veterans raise the flag, we teach kids that war and killing are heroic things. Actually, they are not. War is a failure. It's a failure when human beings who have evolved over millenia, surviving everything the natural world has thrown at them -- climate, predators, disease, misfortune -- we made it through hundreds of thousands of years, only to kill each other because of ignorance and poor political leadership. That's a tragedy, and the sooner we acknowledge war is a failure, the better.

    But the Twins aren't helping, and the lack of diversity in who raises the flag diminishes all of us, and perpetuates an appalling notion that war and killing is somehow the best thing human beings have ever done and something we should all aspire to. Sad.
    I would have to disagree with this suggestion. The veterans are the reason we have all the freedoms that we have. I would not like to live in any country where you could basically disappear if you voiced your opinions that was not to the governments liking.
    Teachers do great things also but not close to what the great veterans did for this country.

  28. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (02-14-2014)

  29. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,146
    Like
    62
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Speaking of beer - don't make me walk all the way from left field to right field to find good beer. I don't want Bud or Lite or any of that. Gimme good homegrown Surly and Summit, and sell it all over the stadium instead of a single place.
    Money does talk--Twins are bribed by InBev. However, there are seats available in RF.
    There should be a correlation between price of beer and Twins record--sort of like was done with a former Twins LFer (Rondell White??) at a few bars.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.