Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #1 Byron Buxton

  1. #41
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,107
    Like
    369
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Since we're sharing old Buxton videos, I'll re-post the following video of a Buxton triple I took last June. The first two videos above showed his defense and his power. This one shows off the speed.

    A couple of things to note: it's not easy to notice, but the ball he hits to RCF never reaches the wall, it's cut off by the outfielder and Buxton still triples. He did that more than once in CR. Also, check out the time it takes him to get from home to 3B. He makes contact at :06 in to the video and slides in to 3B at :16 seconds. Home to 3B in roughly 10 seconds.

    Thanks for the re-post JC. I remember commenting at the time that supposedly Bo Jackson held the unofficial Home to 3B record at ~11.5 seconds. Bo also allegedly has the fastest 40 YD time ever at the NFL combine (4.12). Mickey Mantle supposedly has the fastest times- Home to 1B- 3.1 seconds battiing LH- and 3.5 seconds batting RH. And both of those times were aided by he fact that the Mick was drag-bunting. Buxton gets from Home to 1B in this clip in just a little over 3 seconds, and that of course, is while ROUNDING First Base.

  2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Seth Stohs (02-15-2014)

  3. #42
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    138
    Like
    42
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Honest question: Will people hate on Buxton if his power peaks in the teens for homeruns like they did/do for Mauer? We all know that leading the league in average, OBP, and Gold Glove defense doesn't cut it for some people around here.

  4. #43
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,917
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Honest question: Will people hate on Buxton if his power peaks in the teens for homeruns like they did/do for Mauer? We all know that leading the league in average, OBP, and Gold Glove defense doesn't cut it for some people around here.
    honest answer: probably!!

  5. #44
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    145
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Honest question: Will people hate on Buxton if his power peaks in the teens for homeruns like they did/do for Mauer? We all know that leading the league in average, OBP, and Gold Glove defense doesn't cut it for some people around here.
    Dan Barreiro will for sure, especially if his RBIs top out in the 70-80 range. But you can't worry about the clueless.

    I'm looking forward to Buxton making the club in 2015. Here's hoping for health and success!

  6. #45
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    184
    Like
    4
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    They won't care about Buxton's power...if. If Sano and Rosario are hitting behind him and batting in a hundred runs a year. Mauer's "problem" was/is that there is no one behind him to bring runs in. We need our star player to be Bobby Bonds. Rod Carew was great and accepted as such because he was followed by Killebrew and Oliva.

  7. #46
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    122
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    sorry ncgo but that is not true. Mauer has been ripped on all along even when he has had Thome, Morneau, Kubel, Cuddyer and yes even D Young putting up big RBI numbers. Though to be fair, if he had Buxton's speed fans might have been less critical. If Buxton wins batting titles and GGs and hits lots of doubles and triples I don't care how many home runs he has.

  8. #47
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    511
    Like
    0
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    He got an invite to major league camp, right? Obviously they think he's on the borderline already, and while it's a long-shot, I wouldn't be shocked if he's up in May or June. If he tears up AA to start the season wouldn't you just say to yourself as the Twins FO, "might as well let him run wild in the show, he's better than everyone he's playing against otherwise."
    It does beg the question, if Buxton demonstrates that he's good enough this spring to play major league ball, then what are they waiting for? I have no problem moving Hicks to a corner spot and playing Buxton in CF right out of spring training. Nothing in Buxton's progression has indicated that his grasp of the game is tenuous. He's not just barely making it, he's dominating at every level.

    This reminds me a little of the fuss over bringing up Wayne Gretzky to the NHL at the tender age of 19. All he did was continue to amaze the world. Why not Byron Buxton? Who ya got that's better?

  9. #48
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,107
    Like
    369
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    It does beg the question, if Buxton demonstrates that he's good enough this spring to play major league ball, then what are they waiting for? I have no problem moving Hicks to a corner spot and playing Buxton in CF right out of spring training.

    Nothing in Buxton's progression has indicated that his grasp of the game is tenuous. He's not just barely making it, he's dominating at every level.

    This reminds me a little of the fuss over bringing up Wayne Gretzky to the NHL at the tender age of 19. All he did was continue to amaze the world. Why not Byron Buxton? Who ya got that's better?
    Simple answer. The Twins have no one that's even close. I get the strong feeling that Buxton will embarrass everyone else with what he can do in the OF this spring.

    But rather than bringing him up straight out of ST, as good as he is now defensively, he still undoubtedly needs PAs at a lower level, I think following the Mike Trout model for promotion (ie, the Gretzky of MLB) should be considered (it worked out well for the Halos):

    Trout
    2010 A level: 131 games-- .979 OPS/A+ level: .821 OPS
    2011 AA level 91 games-- .958 OPS/MLB level 41 games--.672 OPS*
    2012 AAA level 20 games-- .1091 OPS/MLB level 139 games-- .963 OPS

    Buxton
    2013 A level: 125 games-- .990 OPS/A+ level: .887 OPS
    2014 AA/AAA levels: 96 games?, 475 PAs?-- .900+ OPS?/MLB level 50 games?-- ???OPS**



    *(Trout had a .163 BA/.492 OPS in July and .400 BA/.1384 OPS in August, before falling back a bit in September).

    ** (Assuming that Buxton does well at New Britain/Rochester, call him up after the All Star break or when trades are made for the expiring FA contract-holders, whichever outcome has an open roster spot/starting role made available. This gives him the opportunity to either hit the ground running in 2015, or come up after a short stint at Rochester, ala Trout, to work on what he found out where he was deficient in 2014).
    Last edited by jokin; 02-16-2014 at 03:53 AM.

  10. #49
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,914
    Like
    448
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    It does beg the question, if Buxton demonstrates that he's good enough this spring to play major league ball, then what are they waiting for? I have no problem moving Hicks to a corner spot and playing Buxton in CF right out of spring training. Nothing in Buxton's progression has indicated that his grasp of the game is tenuous. He's not just barely making it, he's dominating at every level.

    This reminds me a little of the fuss over bringing up Wayne Gretzky to the NHL at the tender age of 19. All he did was continue to amaze the world. Why not Byron Buxton? Who ya got that's better?
    I don't see any reason not to at least give Buxton at bats at the lower levels first. Let him see some better pitching, adjust and once he's dominating bring him up with confidence.

    I don't get the Gretzky analogy, are you referencing his age? The only reason Gretzky didn't start in the NHL was because the draft age was 20 at the time, not because he wasn't ready. He played in the WHA for 1 season , by the time he did reach the NHL with the WHA-NHL merger, the league had amended the draft age to 18, although he was technically never drafted.

    There was never a doubt he could play there, he certainly never played minor league hockey.

  11. #50
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    184
    Like
    4
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    What happened to Hicks will have scared the bejesus out of the Twins. They will not do the same thing with Buxton & Sano and there is no way they end up in the Twin Cities after spring training. If either of them follows a torrid spring with a similar stint in the minors they could come back soon but not to start the year. Just my 2 cents.

  12. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    They won't care about Buxton's power...if. If Sano and Rosario are hitting behind him and batting in a hundred runs a year. Mauer's "problem" was/is that there is no one behind him to bring runs in. We need our star player to be Bobby Bonds. Rod Carew was great and accepted as such because he was followed by Killebrew and Oliva.
    Not really Carew was a rookie in 1967 Killebrew and Oliva were gone before he got great. He was pretty much of a one man show in the Seventies...

  13. #52
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    969
    Like
    4
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Honest question: Will people hate on Buxton if his power peaks in the teens for homeruns like they did/do for Mauer? We all know that leading the league in average, OBP, and Gold Glove defense doesn't cut it for some people around here.
    I suppose so, but Buxton will have to lead the league in BA and OBP and win a Gold Glove.

    Which pose will be used for Buxton's Target Field statue? Whose hat will he wear for the HOF?

    I'm excited about the kid too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

  14. #53
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    254
    Like
    8
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I suppose so, but Buxton will have to lead the league in BA and OBP and win a Gold Glove.

    Which pose will be used for Buxton's Target Field statue? Whose hat will he wear for the HOF?

    I'm excited about the kid too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    It will probably be a statue of him making that diving catch in the World Series. And a Twins hat, of course...how could he snub the team with whom he win so many rings?

    #itshappening

  15. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    70charger (02-16-2014)

  16. #54
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    What happened to Hicks will have scared the bejesus out of the Twins.
    Terry Ryan's career dates back earlier than 2013, ditto others who will be involved in making such a decision. They are capable of deciding each case on its own merits, IMO, and don't dart back and forth based on the most recent experience they've had. If they decide to bring Buxton up despite what happened to Hicks when they tried it, it will be because Buxton the human being isn't Hicks the human being.

  17. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    crarko (02-16-2014), DocBauer (02-17-2014), Jim Crikket (02-16-2014)

  18. #55
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    474
    Like
    30
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Simple answer. The Twins have no one that's even close. I get the strong feeling that Buxton will embarrass everyone else with what he can do in the OF this spring.

    But rather than bringing him up straight out of ST, as good as he is now defensively, he still undoubtedly needs PAs at a lower level, I think following the Mike Trout model for promotion (ie, the Gretzky of MLB) should be considered (it worked out well for the Halos):

    Trout
    2010 A level: 131 games-- .979 OPS/A+ level: .821 OPS
    2011 AA level 91 games-- .958 OPS/MLB level 41 games--.672 OPS*
    2012 AAA level 20 games-- .1091 OPS/MLB level 139 games-- .963 OPS

    Buxton
    2013 A level: 125 games-- .990 OPS/A+ level: .887 OPS
    2014 AA/AAA levels: 96 games?, 475 PAs?-- .900+ OPS?/MLB level 50 games?-- ???OPS**



    *(Trout had a .163 BA/.492 OPS in July and .400 BA/.1384 OPS in August, before falling back a bit in September).

    ** (Assuming that Buxton does well at New Britain/Rochester, call him up after the All Star break or when trades are made for the expiring FA contract-holders, whichever outcome has an open roster spot/starting role made available. This gives him the opportunity to either hit the ground running in 2015, or come up after a short stint at Rochester, ala Trout, to work on what he found out where he was deficient in 2014).
    The Trout comps are really exciting, but they make me squirm at the same time.

    Trout went 30-50 and 30-30 at 20 and 21. OPS of .963 and .988. Buxton has only 17 HR in almost 800 PA's. Looks to be a great player but the comp with one of the best seasons ever by a player that age is probably not realistic and setting is up for dissapointment.

  19. #56
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,107
    Like
    369
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Terry Ryan's career dates back earlier than 2013, ditto others who will be involved in making such a decision. They are capable of deciding each case on its own merits, IMO, and don't dart back and forth based on the most recent experience they've had. If they decide to bring Buxton up despite what happened to Hicks when they tried it, it will be because Buxton the human being isn't Hicks the human being.

    Exactly right----SIOW---- Buxton isn't Hicks!

  20. #57
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,107
    Like
    369
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The Trout comps are really exciting, but they make me squirm at the same time.

    Trout went 30-50 and 30-30 at 20 and 21. OPS of .963 and .988. Buxton has only 17 HR in almost 800 PA's. Looks to be a great player but the comp with one of the best seasons ever by a player that age is probably not realistic and setting is up for dissapointment.
    I'm not suggesting duplicate production numbers. I think we'll be happy with whatever he ends up bringing to the table from the leadoff position and his sensational play will leave us with few moments of disappointment.

    Comparing and contrasting the two, Buxton will clearly be a better defender. Trout will hit with more power. Buxton might get his high OPS numbers from his higher OBP and a high SLG from stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples. But it's also important to consider- Trout has significantly strengthened his body over the last couple years.....who knows what Buck will be capable of when he weighs 225 (anyone remember skinny Torii and skinny Puck)?

  21. #58
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    33
    Like
    5
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The Trout comps are really exciting, but they make me squirm at the same time.

    Trout went 30-50 and 30-30 at 20 and 21. OPS of .963 and .988. Buxton has only 17 HR in almost 800 PA's. Looks to be a great player but the comp with one of the best seasons ever by a player that age is probably not realistic and setting is up for dissapointment.

    Trout had 23 HRs in 1,117 AB during his minor league run.

    As far as scouting goes, from what I've heard is this: Buxton has more speed, a better glove, and a much better arm. Does he have the "feel" at the plate? That's what this year will answer.

  22. #59
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    195
    Like
    85
    Liked 86 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Comparisons are fun and natural. They also get carried away at times. No matter how great a young talent may show, and end up being, each person/player is different to their own right.

    The Kirby Puckett we all know, love and remember is not the fleet, base stealing lead off CF he was early on.

    Give Buxton his time, and then give him his due. He may be Mays/Griffey part 2, or he may be a better Ricky Henderson. This year, next, or a season and a half from now. Any way, the future looks awesome.

  23. #60
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    33
    Like
    5
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Until the Twins have the next Clu Haywood in their system, I will not be satisfied.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.