Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Matt Garrioch North Region write up, Includes MN, WI, IA, ND, and SD.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/15/5717610/2014-mlb-draft-north-region

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    I just can't see Gatewood sliding to 46. Even if he doesn't go in the 1st round, which I find pretty suspect, 12 teams get thier 2nd pick before the Twins while division rivals Kansas City and Cleveland along with Houston get their third picks before the Twins get their second and Miami will pick 4 times before the Twins get their second.

The Twins will NOT be getting the cream of the crop of the second round bargains. Houston and KC in particular have shown that they like to go with this underslot/overslot stratagy in fact. If the Twins really like Gatewood, it will have to be at #5, and I don't see that happening though I do like the guy a lot.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 05-15-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Matt Garrioch North Region write up, Includes MN, WI, IA, ND, and SD.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/15/5717610/2014-mlb-draft-north-region
    Ineresting, only 10 college players out of 51. None of them currently play for the Gophers either.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I just can't see Gatewood sliding to 46. Even if he doesn't go in the 1st round, which I find pretty suspect, 12 teams get thier 2nd pick before the Twins while division rivals Kansas City and Cleveland along with Houston get their third picks before the Twins get their second and Miami will pick 4 times before the Twins get their second.

The Twins will NOT be getting the cream of the crop of the second round bargains. Houston and KC in particular have shown that they like to go with this underslot/overslot stratagy in fact. If the Twins really like Gatewood, it will have to be at #5, and I don't see that happening though I do like the guy a lot.
    I agree with all of this.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I just can't see Gatewood sliding to 46....
    The only way it happens, is if the Twins and Gatewood come to a high predraft deal (coupled with savings at 5), and Gatewood's representatives ask him not to be drafted or for the teams to beat the Twins amount. Even if another team drafts him and offers him less, it might make him unsignable, because his self value is viewed to be whatever the Twins offered and he goes the college route.
    This happened with that @$$hole catcher from the last draft... Jon Denney who went to The Red Sox in the 3rd. A 1st Round talent with character flaws, that allowed him to fall out of day 1. Twins called to ask his price, and his adviser, let them know they came to a deal with The Red Sox. The Twins respected this and didn't draft him.
    Last edited by maxisagod; 05-15-2014 at 03:10 PM.

6. This user likes maxisagod's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's definitely a few teams with sandwich round picks that could do the underslot/overslot thing well. That said, this is a very deep draft and between high ceiling highschool pitchers, guys like Fede and Hoffman, and potentially gatewood, there's a good chance that there will be some highly thought after first round talent available at pick number 46. I don't think the Twins need to set their site on WHO nearly as much as considering the possibilities of grabbing someone.

Personally, if they went and took Gordon at 5, I could care less if they ended up with Gatewood, Hoffman, Fede, or any of the high ceiling HS arms that are going to be tough signs, because at the end of the day, they essentially got two first rounders out of the deal.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    I would be happy with Gordon, Jackson, any one of the big three pitchers that probably won't be there at 5, or that Touki Toussant.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    I will not be happy if Gatewood is the pick at #5 even if it's an underslot deal. His hit tool is frightening. He has awesome power but there's a high likelihood that he becomes a complete bust.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Could someone please explain the underslot/overslot situation with the MLB teams plus the rules governing them or direct us to a primer about it.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kiley McDaniel posted his first mock this morning. All the usual suspects. Nola, Jackson, Finnegan get mentions. Freeland as a dark-horse.

After reading the Gatewood stuff yesterday, I did some digging. Obviously I wasn't going to get a "yes" or "no" in regards to the rumor, but the source called it "interesting". I do think, though, that the Twins are convinced he's going to be a package that hits and hits for power and has a rare size/bat speed combo. I read separately that Gatewood wants a chance to play SS in the pros, but there's no chance he sticks there (not really news). I do find it interesting that he's now being listed as an OF quite often.

When I did a draft board a few months ago, I had it pretty locked in that at that time the Twins considered him in their Top 10. With that being said, I would put him on the periphery instead of solidly in the mix.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Could someone please explain the underslot/overslot situation with the MLB teams plus the rules governing them or direct us to a primer about it.
    Each pick in the top 10 rounds has a specific dollar amount tied to it. The teams pools are determined by adding up all of those picks. The Twins first pick is worth $3,851,000. So essentially whatever they don't spend on their first pick, they can re-allocate to the rest of the draft. Rounds 11-40 can go as high as $100,000 without counting towards the pool. Anything over that counts against the cap.

On the flip side, if it's going to take more than "slot" to sign a guy, you're borrowing against your other picks and likely taking lesser players.

If you go over your pool, you face penalties of fines and the loss of draft picks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Kiley McDaniel posted his first mock this morning. All the usual suspects. Nola, Jackson, Finnegan get mentions. Freeland as a dark-horse.

After reading the Gatewood stuff yesterday, I did some digging. Obviously I wasn't going to get a "yes" or "no" in regards to the rumor, but the source called it "interesting". I do think, though, that the Twins are convinced he's going to be a package that hits and hits for power and has a rare size/bat speed combo. I read separately that Gatewood wants a chance to play SS in the pros, but there's no chance he sticks there (not really news). I do find it interesting that he's now being listed as an OF quite often.

When I did a draft board a few months ago, I had it pretty locked in that at that time the Twins considered him in their Top 10. With that being said, I would put him on the periphery instead of solidly in the mix.
    Jeremy, what is your sense on the Twins interest in Nola? Based on Keith Law and others, he is a guy that could be up quick but lacks plus pitches and projects as a #4 starter. I would be extremely dissapointed if that was haul at #5 overall.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Jeremy, what is your sense on the Twins interest in Nola? Based on Keith Law and others, he is a guy that could be up quick but lacks plus pitches and projects as a #4 starter. I would be extremely dissapointed if that was haul at #5 overall.
    It's hard to ignore all the reports. Add in the fact that the Twins have gotten a long look at the LSU product and there might be something cooking. The Twins have been very active in drafting pitchers from that area as well. Area scout Greg Runser has been behind the drafting of Stewart, Eades, Duffey, Chargois and Duffey (and maybe more) in just the past two years.

For me, it's going to come down to the number the scouts put down as their expected bonus. (And I have no idea what those numbers are, but let's play a little game.)

Which do you choose?

Alex Jackson at #5, who will cost every penny of the bonus and might prevent you from taking a high-schooler who dropped in round 2, leaving you with a low-ceiling, high-floor college pitcher.

Nick Gordon at #5, who might save you a couple hundred thousand that you could then invest in a player (probably singular) that dropped (either in round 2 or later on Day 2).

Aaron Nola at #5, who might sign for $3m and save $800K. Now you can have your pick of the h.s. litter at 46, probably can roll the dice on another high schooler on Day 2 that fell (think Gonsalves-ish) and might even leave you enough that you can sign another guy in the middle rounds that you had no chance to sign before (think Logan Shore-ish). Maybe $800k doesn't get you all of those things, but it does go a long way.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to ignore all the reports. Add in the fact that the Twins have gotten a long look at the LSU product and there might be something cooking. The Twins have been very active in drafting pitchers from that area as well. Area scout Greg Runser has been behind the drafting of Stewart, Eades, Duffey, Chargois and Duffey (and maybe more) in just the past two years.

For me, it's going to come down to the number the scouts put down as their expected bonus. (And I have no idea what those numbers are, but let's play a little game.)

Which do you choose?

Alex Jackson at #5, who will cost every penny of the bonus and might prevent you from taking a high-schooler who dropped in round 2, leaving you with a low-ceiling, high-floor college pitcher.

Nick Gordon at #5, who might save you a couple hundred thousand that you could then invest in a player (probably singular) that dropped (either in round 2 or later on Day 2).

Aaron Nola at #5, who might sign for $3m and save $800K. Now you can have your pick of the h.s. litter at 46, probably can roll the dice on another high schooler on Day 2 that fell (think Gonsalves-ish) and might even leave you enough that you can sign another guy in the middle rounds that you had no chance to sign before (think Logan Shore-ish). Maybe $800k doesn't get you all of those things, but it does go a long way.
    I am guessing these conversations have taken place. But picking at #5 overall based on what you may end up getting at 46 is a lousy strategy in my opinion.

Here are the last ten players the Twins have selected between 40 and 50 overall:

Eades, Tyler, Bozied, Sents, Bell, Davidson, Durant, Newman, Gassner, and Niewenhuis.

Looking at the drafts between 2002 and 2009, picks 4-7 you have 32 total picks. I find 10 absolute studs and 5 more decent players.

Studs - Greinke, Fielder, Bailey, Zimmerman, Braun, Tulowitski, Kershaw, Wieters, Posey, and Wheeler.

Decent to good players - Markakis, Ricky Romero, Andrew Miller, Mike Minor, Brandon Morrow.

If we have a 31% chance at the stud list and a 16% chance at the second list, seems like a no brainer to me, makes more sense than even a 100% chance at getting a #4 starter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...ft_type=junreg
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    It's hard to ignore all the reports. Add in the fact that the Twins have gotten a long look at the LSU product and there might be something cooking.

The Twins have been very active in drafting pitchers from that area as well. Aaron Nola at #5, who might sign for $3m and save $800K. Now you can have your pick of the h.s. litter at 46, probably can roll the dice on another high schooler on Day 2 that fell (think Gonsalves-ish) and might even leave you enough that you can sign another guy in the middle rounds that you had no chance to sign before (think Logan Shore-ish). Maybe $800k doesn't get you all of those things, but it does go a long way.
    There will be 12 teams picking their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th selection or a total of 18 players before the Twins pick their second. I really, really want a high upside HS with the second, but the Twins can't go into this thinking they'll get thier pick of the litter. They'll get stuck with the runt, at least comparativley speaking as Houston, KC, Clevland, Miami and 8 other teams are going to get first crack at the thoroughbreds.

I know the Twins have watched Nola a lot. Man I hope the Cubs take that possibility away from them. I don't see it happening though. I don't recall Epstien/Hoyer going after control pitchers in the past. They've seemed to target guys who were perceived to miss bats at the next level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    There will be 12 teams picking their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th selection or a total of 18 players before the Twins pick their second. I really, really want a high upside HS with the second, but the Twins can't go into this thinking they'll get thier pick of the litter. They'll get stuck with the runt, at least comparativley speaking as Houston, KC, Clevland, Miami and 8 other teams are going to get first crack at the thoroughbreds.

I know the Twins have watched Nola a lot. Man I hope the Cubs take that possibility away from them. I don't see it happening though. I don't recall Epstien/Hoyer going after control pitchers in the past. They've seemed to target guys who were perceived to miss bats at the next level.
    The other point is, Kohl signed at slot value last year and we still were able to sign Gonslaves.

Nola will be available at #5. I really hope we pass and take the upside. I don't want Kevin C. at #5 overall.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I really, really want a high upside HS with the second, but the Twins can't go into this thinking they'll get their pick of the litter. They'll get stuck with the runt
    Maybe not the right choice of words, but they're should still be some high-upside arms available.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The other point is, Kohl signed at slot value last year and we still were able to sign Gonslaves.
    The Twins saved money on Garver, who was a senior and signed for only $40K. A steal to be sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The Twins saved money on Garver, who was a senior and signed for only $40K. A steal to be sure.
    Garver was a 9th round pick. I like the save money on the 9th rounder option much better. Heck, I would rather we draft Gardy's dog in the 9th round if it meant we are taking BPA at #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Maybe not the right choice of words, but they're should still be some high-upside arms available.
    Sure there will, but I guess my point is that the Twins draft too far down in the 2nd this year. I find it very unlikely they get a shot at this years, Lance McCullers or Sean Manaea. The other "upside" HS kids likely will still be signable regardless of who the 1st pick.

Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast