Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again thanks Willihammer & maxisagod for your insight. I really enjoy everyone's comments here. It is very informative for those of us that have no idea who these guys are. Regarding the tipping of the curve - it looked like his was stepping wider than with the other pitches. Even though, it certainly is fixable. It was hard to tell all the time b/c of the position of the ump. (Disclaimer: B/c of an affliction of laziness I only watched the video once. Too much other good stuff to read here.)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grant Holmes is intriguing me as a sleeper candidate. He won't turn 18 till later this month but he sure looks polished. Fastball is just ok but the secondary stuff looks filthy.

On YT there there is Perfect Game footage from two angles. You can see the movement really well from the first video and then get MPH readings on the same pitches on the t.v. footage (the 2nd video).

Besides the big hook, he throws a cutter. He throws 3 in a row starting at 2:18 on the top vid, and 2:16 on the second, all clocked 92-94 (batter is Alex Jackson).

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2nd video

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Grant Holmes is intriguing me as a sleeper candidate. He won't turn 18 till later this month but he sure looks polished. Fastball is just ok but the secondary stuff looks filthy.

On YT there there is Perfect Game footage from two angles. You can see the movement really well from the first video and then get MPH readings on the same pitches on the t.v. footage (the 2nd video).

Besides the big hook, he throws a cutter. He throws 3 in a row starting at 2:18 on the top vid, and 2:16 on the second, all clocked 92-94 (batter is Alex Jackson).

Grant Holmes fastball, that does have some movement, was clocked at 97 late in the showcase which turned some heads. He has a great curveball. He has an average changeup. The knock on him is he already physically maxed out which hurts future projections. If any of his pitches gain a tick he could be a top 10 option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Christopher Crawford wrote a fantastic article on stats that matter for the 2014 draft. Here is a scouts quote on "stat scouting".

“You hear the term process and result a lot,” a long-time American League scout said. “And while I think that term gets overused, that’s really what we’re doing with statistics. If you just flat out ignore the numbers you’re going to get left behind, because they do tell part of the story. As scouts, our job is not to ignore the statistics or live by them, but to figure out why they’re happening.”

Here are a few of the stats Mr.Crawford says some teams use (while some don't).

1. Strike out to walk rate for pitchers. An NL scout had this to say:

“There are not many kids in this class who can miss bats like [Beede or Toussaint], but if you don’t at least a 2-1 strikeout to walk ratio, then I’m not sure you’re worth a first-round pick."

2. Numbers against quality opponents for hitters. A lot of college guys won't ever make it to the pros so it is important to watch hitters vs "Friday night starters". Aka, the aces which at least have several pro level pitching tools. Crawford gives a few examples of top draft prospects who have done well and poorly vs Friday night starters.

3. Extra base hits for hitters. Here is Crawford's description:
    "There’s a fairly substantial difference between raw and in-game power, and it’s one of the most difficult tools for scouts to accurately judge. Not only are they judging the player’s bat speed and swing path, but whether or not the player is going to add strength to his frame so that balls that die at the warning track will potentially be homers. So if a player is already putting up extra-base hits at the collegiate level, it’s definitely viewed as a positive."

These little bits and pieces does not describe how good this article is. There is a lot of good info so if you are an ESPN insider and draft fan it is well worth the read. Also, he has some info on the California prep players (Alex Jackson, Gatewood, and more).

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1336

P.S. if you want to see how hitters do vs Friday night starters Crawford's site, free, mlbdraftinsider.com usually does daily updates for weekend competition.

6. These 2 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (03-06-2014), PseudoSABR (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Talking about Grant Holmes he is one of 4 HS prospects who made BA's helium watch post. Here is the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...school-helium/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I'm really starting to dislike those stupid extra picks that MLB put into the end of the first round for low revenue teams. I'd really like to have a second pick in the 30s to nab a Berrios type talent but that's unlikely now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'm really starting to dislike those stupid extra picks that MLB put into the end of the first round for low revenue teams. I'd really like to have a second pick in the 30s to nab a Berrios type talent but that's unlikely now.
    I hear ya. It sucks drafting in the 40s instead of 30s but this draft is supposed to be a lot deeper than the last two. Still should he pleny of talent. Our third round pick is in the mid to late 80s!

What is interesting to me is what the Twins do if the Twins take a HS pitcher at #5. This draft's strength is HS RHPing but would the Twins take two HS pitchers with their first two picks? They are a BPA team but that is a lot of risk at the top of the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    What is interesting to me is what the Twins do if the Twins take a HS pitcher at #5. This draft's strength is HS RHPing but would the Twins take two HS pitchers with their first two picks? They are a BPA team but that is a lot of risk at the top of the draft.
    I wonder also, but I suspect if they get a HS kid at #5, the second pick will be college or an easy sign HS kid. When they picked Buxton, they got a HS arm in Barrios, but he was an easy sign, they passed up McCullers even though I was dying for them to make it work. Another HS pick last year and an easy sign, low ceiling college senior was the pick.

I like Kolek and cheer for Gatewood to develop properly, but one of the top college arms at #5 might yield the best combination for the top two picks.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wonder also, but I suspect if they get a HS kid at #5, the second pick will be college or an easy sign HS kid. When they picked Buxton, they got a HS arm in Barrios, but he was an easy sign, they passed up McCullers even though I was dying for them to make it work. Another HS pick last year and an easy sign, low ceiling college senior was the pick.

I like Kolek and cheer for Gatewood to develop properly, but one of the top college arms at #5 might yield the best combination for the top two picks.
    Eades was a high ceiling college junior. The Twins project him as a #2 and Mayo has as our 10th best prospect. He's a Boras client, so I'm not sure how easy he was to sign. I think many are confused because of the 15 make work innings he pitched after being drafting. Seth thought he might start in Ft. Myers, but regardless, IMO he's about as safe a starting pitching prospect as we have.
    Last edited by howieramone; 03-06-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Eades was a high ceiling college junior. The Twins project him as a #2 and Mayo has as our 10th best prospect. He's a Boras client, so I'm not sure how easy he was to sign. I think many are confused because of the 15 make work innings he pitched after being drafting. Seth thought he might start in Ft. Myers, but regardless, IMO he's about as safe a starting pitching prospect as we have.
    You're right, I forgot he was a junior, there was some signing concerns. Still, he isn't and never was a high ceiling guy. The Twins may like him as a #2 but I don't think there are many pitchers who don't project to miss bats that have a high ceiling.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Nick, I agree it's a concern. 6.8K/9 is definitely lower than what you would like to see, but equal to Hoffman who is currently rated #2. Hoffman's coach explained they are taught to get rid of each hitter with 2-3 pitches. Who knows. Believe the same scout who signed Stewart, signed Eades FWIW.
    Last edited by howieramone; 03-06-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I think it's more of a who than a what. If Kolek fell to them at 5, they could get him, but he's taking slot. If they liked Holmes a bit better, they might be able to reach down and get him below slot and then grab a tough sign in round 2. Either philosophy works in my opinion. Part of it depends on who is left at 5, and part depends on who they like the best. At this point, it's a bit early to tell. Once we hit May, we should have a pretty good idea on where people will be falling.

Senior Member All-Star
    Christopher Crawford released his way too early mock draft tonight. Yes, a lot of things will change between now and draft day but who cares? Mocks are fun! Here is his list:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/03/t...2014-volume-i/

16. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (03-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Christopher Crawford released his way too early mock draft tonight. Yes, a lot of things will change between now and draft day but who cares? Mocks are fun! Here is his list:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/03/t...2014-volume-i/
    Um, Trea Turner's listed position is C/3B/OF? Catcher? Bad proofreading, I hope? He's a lot less interesting with a basically unknown position than if he's a legit shortstop.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I just read that LSU is playing against Vanderbilt this coming weekend. Right now the Friday night tilt should match Aaron Nola (LSU) against Tyler Beede (Van). Both names have been in the discussion for the Twins at #5, so if the game is televised it would be great to get a chance to watch them pitch.

So far both are putting up video game numbers this season.
    Beede:
    4 GS, 25 IP, 33 SO, 5 BB, 11 H, 1.08 ERA
    Nola:
    4 GS, 27 IP, 36 SO, 2 BB, 11 H, 0.00 ERA

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Crawford doesn't appear to be a big fan of Turner's. I dislike these reasons for drafting Turner - fast track, speed and defense. He doesn't have to hit 20+ HR's but I want to read that he can hit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    There are several "misprints" in this article. Example: #13 slot value well has to be wrong, and #30 Forbes is listed as a P, yet discussed as a SS. There are likely more--few players are listed as if they play three positions.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    There are several "misprints" in this article. Example: #13 slot value well has to be wrong, and #30 Forbes is listed as a P, yet discussed as a SS. There are likely more--few players are listed as if they play three positions.
    He tweeted last night that he accidentally posted his rough draft, and that he hates Wordpress. haha.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think it's more of a who than a what. If Kolek fell to them at 5, they could get him, but he's taking slot. If they liked Holmes a bit better, they might be able to reach down and get him below slot and then grab a tough sign in round 2. Either philosophy works in my opinion. Part of it depends on who is left at 5, and part depends on who they like the best. At this point, it's a bit early to tell. Once we hit May, we should have a pretty good idea on where people will be falling.
    I understand reaching for a guy so you can go underslot with him and overslot on the next guy, but I don't like it. I want the BPA mostly because there's no promise the guys you like with pick #2 will be there.

That's why it would be nice if an underslot guy happened to be the BPA at #5.

Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast