Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    I found this to be the most interesting nugget from Law: "If the draft were held today, (Jackson would) probably be in the mix for all teams drafting in the top five, with the Miami Marlins already linked to Tyler Kolek at No. 2 and the Cubs at No. 4 linked to Tyler Beede."

Who do you think this would this leave the Twins at 5? Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I found this to be the most interesting nugget from Law: "If the draft were held today, (Jackson would) probably be in the mix for all teams drafting in the top five, with the Miami Marlins already linked to Tyler Kolek at No. 2 and the Cubs at No. 4 linked to Tyler Beede."

Well, I think that means the Astros take Rodon #1. Kolek to the Marlins. I'm not sure the White Sox would pass on Beede but if they do, then I think they'd take Hoffman and that would leave the Twins with the pick of the best position player in the draft (college or HS). Not sure who that person will be - right now it's probably Jackson. I think, in this draft which is high on pitching talent, that's a worst case scenario.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Well, I think that means the Astros take Rodon #1. Kolek to the Marlins. I'm not sure the White Sox would pass on Beede but if they do, then I think they'd take Hoffman and that would leave the Twins with the pick of the best position player in the draft (college or HS). Not sure who that person will be - right now it's probably Jackson. I think, in this draft which is high on pitching talent, that's a worst case scenario.
    I would put Luke Weaver squarely in the mix at #5. In fact, I'd call him the favorite right now. (Assuming the first four go as thought.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I would put Luke Weaver squarely in the mix at #5. In fact, I'd call him the favorite right now. (Assuming the first four go as thought.)
    Interesting. Not saying you're wrong but mlbpipeline has him at #23 with his height (something the Twins are really big on) being a real concern. "The biggest questions about Weaver concern his breaking ball and his size. He has an upper-70s slurve that may never become more than an average slider. He isn't especially physical at 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds, though his frame and athleticism do draw some comparisons to Tim Hudson."

Frankly, their write up sorta reminds me of Berrios - a nice second pick but not a top 5 pick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Not saying you're wrong but mlbpipeline has him at #23 with his height (something the Twins are really big on) being a real concern. "The biggest questions about Weaver concern his breaking ball and his size. He has an upper-70s slurve that may never become more than an average slider. He isn't especially physical at 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds, though his frame and athleticism do draw some comparisons to Tim Hudson."

Frankly, their write up sorta reminds me of Berrios - a nice second pick but not a top 5 pick.
    The comps on him from the Twins perspective right now are Zack Greinke and (a much shorter version of) Jered Weaver. I was surprised when I heard it too, but doing things like outdueling Carlos Rodon certainly aren't going to hurt.

I heard some reports earlier that he was showing mid-90s gas, but I don't think he's been doing it lately. I think that will be the one that tips the scale one way or the other, not his breaking ball.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post

This is where my amateur skills fail me I guess. Everyone seems to love Jackson, but I don't get it. To me he's not clearly separated from the likes of Michael Gettys, Braxton Davidson or possibly even Chavis. Anyone care to explain why Jackson is thought so highly of? How much of it is a positional bonus?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    This is where my amateur skills fail me I guess. Everyone seems to love Jackson, but I don't get it. To me he's not clearly separated from the likes of Michael Gettys, Braxton Davidson or possibly even Chavis. Anyone care to explain why Jackson is thought so highly of? How much of it is a positional bonus?
    Huge success on the summer circuit, advanced bat for his age (which people aren't touting as much right now), plus arm and giftedness to remain behind the plate long-term. He's in discussion at #5 (as is Gatewood). As of a month ago, none of the other guys you mentioned were. And the list of guys was somewhere in the 17-20 range.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I think I would put Nova ahead of Weaver right now.

If it does go Rodon/Kolek/Hoffman/Beede, then I would prefer one of the top high school players (Gatewood, Aiken, et al) over Nova or Weaver. If Aiken really is hitting the mid-90s consistently, I think he would be a great choice at #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Yikes. If anyone of us knows what the twins are thinking it would be you Jeremy but I hope you are wrong. Weaver just doesn't have top 5 level tools. Weaver isn't even in my personal top 15.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Yikes. If anyone of us knows what the twins are thinking it would be you Jeremy but I hope you are wrong. Weaver just doesn't have top 5 level tools. Weaver isn't even in my personal top 15.
    I'd probably have him in the high teens myself. So five would be early, yes. But he's been impressive so far and his stock is definitely going up. A stock that was already higher for the Twins than most.

Personally, I think we're squeezing the really good, but not elite college pitchers just because this draft is shaping up to be so deep. Guys like Weaver and Nola (for example) are guys that may end up not being Top 10 picks this year, but would be in almost every other year.

Of course, it's a lloooonnnngggg way until June.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I think I would put Nova ahead of Weaver right now.

If it does go Rodon/Kolek/Hoffman/Beede, then I would prefer one of the top high school players (Gatewood, Aiken, et al) over Nova or Weaver. If Aiken really is hitting the mid-90s consistently, I think he would be a great choice at #5.
    Yeah I am an Aiken fan too. Granted he has to show he has the stuff to go there but I really like his upside. A young big power lefty would be nice to have. Lots of good choices at 5 though. Will be interesting what the Twins do there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Yeah I am an Aiken fan too. Granted he has to show he has the stuff to go there but I really like his upside. A young big power lefty would be nice to have. Lots of good choices at 5 though. Will be interesting what the Twins do there.
    Keith Law mentioned Aiken in his Alex Jackson article today. He is going to see him next week but he has had scouts say he should be in the mix for the top 5 picks. I would love another big time lefty prospect to go with Thorpe and Gonsalves.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Hopefully the 2014 Luke Weaver "steam" is the same as the the 2013 "steam" on Reese McGuire. Makes me feel just about as ishy.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member Triple-A
    Add another name to the list of players to follow closely: Brady Aiken.

Okay, most of us have been following Aiken already, but he is starting to generate some serious hype. Keith Law saw him yesterday, and posted a write-up today. Here is the money quote:

Between this spring and last summer I've seen all of the top prospects for this year's draft, including Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman, Alex Jackson, Tyler Kolek, and Jacob Gatewood, and I'd take Aiken over all of them.
    So far, this is shaping up perfectly for the Twins. There appears to be a lot of good players (especially pitchers) available. Not a bad year to be drafting 5th.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is certainly fun to talk about the draft and I have made several posts on this thread. But this report puts it into perspective to an extent. This is a few Dodger players actual scouting report. Click on "report link".

Highlights - Clayton Kershaw gets a comp to Dave Righetti. Says his best future off speed pitch is his slider. Said he "fits nicely in the first round" and projects him as a #2 starter.

Matt Kemp got a 40 on future ability to steal bases, and future power as a 55.

http://dodgersdigest.com/category/clayton-kershaw/

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Just did some checking on Aiken. Rumors before he was between 94-97. According to source, he's hit 97 one time and he's not morphing into that type of pitcher. Source says Aiken has up'd the ante though.

He goes to the same school that Gonsalves came from, so that should be worth something. At the least, this should add one more "premium" name to the top of the draft. Same source has told me before Jackson and Gatewood would be Top 10. Says Aiken will go in the 1st round. Also "Keith Law has been wrong before."

In the end, I don't think that Aiken is super highly regarded by the Twins just yet. Of course, the opinion of him will change a number of times in the next 80ish days.

18. These 2 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-19-2014), gunnarthor (03-19-2014)

Add another name to the list of players to follow closely: Brady Aiken.

Okay, most of us have been following Aiken already, but he is starting to generate some serious hype. Keith Law saw him yesterday, and posted a write-up today. Here is the money quote:

So far, this is shaping up perfectly for the Twins. There appears to be a lot of good players (especially pitchers) available. Not a bad year to be drafting 5th.
    The rise of Aiken is JUST what the Twins needed. Now they just need the everyone at the top to enjoy good health and continued good performance and the Twins will land a top-of-the-rotation-caliber pitcher OR the first position player off the board. I will be very happy if the Twins find themselves with that choice.
    Last edited by Dance with Disco Dan; 03-19-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Just did some checking on Aiken. Rumors before he was between 94-97. According to source, he's hit 97 one time and he's not morphing into that type of pitcher. Source says Aiken has up'd the ante though.

He goes to the same school that Gonsalves came from, so that should be worth something. At the least, this should add one more "premium" name to the top of the draft. Same source has told me before Jackson and Gatewood would be Top 10. Says Aiken will go in the 1st round. Also "Keith Law has been wrong before."

In the end, I don't think that Aiken is super highly regarded by the Twins just yet. Of course, the opinion of him will change a number of times in the next 80ish days.
    I want to see more from him too, but Deron Johnson himself scouted him last week.

Senior Member Triple-A

Thanks for providing the additional insider info. I didn't realize he went to school with Gonsalves. I wonder how well they know each other.

Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast