Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    That's a good point, twinssin. Philip Humber had the same problems after he was abused in college.

I sort of hope Rodon could drop, Anthony Ranando (I'm spelling his name wrong I think) Had a awful Junior Season at LSU, and dropped to the Red soxs at 37 but I think he's one of their top prospects. But you never know.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly, Renaudo had an arm injury late in the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Christopher Crawford released his second big board and things have definitely been shaken up. Like Law he now has Aiken #1. Here is his full board:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/03/t...014-volume-ii/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Lots of arms, and Crawford's right, the bats aren't really distinguishing themsevles this year. It would be strange, but not unexpected if the top 5 are all pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Lots of arms, and Crawford's right, the bats aren't really distinguishing themsevles this year. It would be strange, but not unexpected if the top 5 are all pitchers.
    I could easily see the top 5 being all pitchers unless someone steps up. Jackson needs to show his elite hit tool he showed last year. I have been a Zimmer fanboy since last year and if a team thinks he will stay in center he could sneak into the top 5.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I could easily see the top 5 being all pitchers unless someone steps up. Jackson needs to show his elite hit tool he showed last year. I have been a Zimmer fanboy since last year and if a team thinks he will stay in center he could sneak into the top 5.
    But could you really see 3 of the top 4 being HS arms? The history of HS arms drafted 1-1 (David Clyde and Brien Taylor) looks even worse than for HS catchers (Mauer and ... um... nobody worth mentioning) !

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I see Rodon this yeat becoming the Mark Appel of two years ago.

I really hope the Twins get a shot at him.
    Drools. Rodon/Meyer/Stewart oh joy!
    Till I Collapse

9. This user likes InfraRen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope we do get another pitcher. You can never have too much pitching. We've come a long ways since the days that Adrian Salcedo and Liam Hendriks were our best pitching prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    This draft is really looking good for us, with the caveat that a lot can still change. But right now, it looks like one of Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Beede or Kolek (or others) will be available for us at 5. I was really worried this would become a 4 player draft but this draft is really showing some depth. I have no idea how the Twins would rate these players but, right now, I'd be happy with any of them at #5. Heck, if things fall weird, we could get a nice grab in the second round, too.

12. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-24-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Who would have thought it was possible they'd have a shot at Rodon? Unreal. Just like no one thought the Vikes would have a shot at Bridgewater, and now he might not even go in the top 10.......
    Lighten up Francis....

I am sure we'll start hearing more about Grant Holmes once his HS season begins March 26. He has an upper 90s FB (reports say it topped out at 98 in a spring scrimmage) and his curveball may be the best out-pitch in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    This draft is really looking good for us, with the caveat that a lot can still change. But right now, it looks like one of Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Beede or Kolek (or others) will be available for us at 5. I was really worried this would become a 4 player draft but this draft is really showing some depth. I have no idea how the Twins would rate these players but, right now, I'd be happy with any of them at #5. Heck, if things fall weird, we could get a nice grab in the second round, too.
    I certainly hope all five of those guys aren't gone when the Twins pick at #5! Though I guess wouldn't put it past the Cubs to somehow find a loophole for them to grab two of them at pick #4.

16. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

dgwills (03-24-2014), gunnarthor (03-24-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I kind of hate to focus too greatly on exactly N players if we're drafting at N. If someone like Rodon falls to us, then it's likely for a reason, and that same reason may cause the Twins to pass as well. It's possible that the reasoning by the other teams doesn't apply to the Twins situation, but chances are we'd just be setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the 5th selection the Minnesota Twins select... Touki Toussaint.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    With the 5th selection the Minnesota Twins select... Touki Toussaint.
    Approves:

20. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    But right now, it looks like one of Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Beede or Kolek (or others) will be available for us at 5.
    In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and guarantee you one of those five will be available at #5!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    I am sure we'll start hearing more about Grant Holmes once his HS season begins March 26. He has an upper 90s FB (reports say it topped out at 98 in a spring scrimmage) and his curveball may be the best out-pitch in the draft.
    Unless it's his Bugs Bunny change up. The combination of those three pitches could be lethal.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I kind of hate to focus too greatly on exactly N players if we're drafting at N. If someone like Rodon falls to us, then it's likely for a reason, and that same reason may cause the Twins to pass as well. It's possible that the reasoning by the other teams doesn't apply to the Twins situation, but chances are we'd just be setting ourselves up for disappointment.
    If the field is as wide open in June as it is now, then I think this will be the most debated draft in memory. The buxton pick stirred up some controversy for a year before hitting number one prospect status. Stewart was being hyped by the Twins for a while, so when the big 3 were taken off the board, no one had a big problem with selecting Stewart. This pick at 5, some people are going away pissed on Draft day. I think the uncertainty makes this fun, we all will pull for our favorites!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    If the field is as wide open in June as it is now, then I think this will be the most debated draft in memory. The buxton pick stirred up some controversy for a year before hitting number one prospect status. Stewart was being hyped by the Twins for a while, so when the big 3 were taken off the board, no one had a big problem with selecting Stewart. This pick at 5, some people are going away pissed on Draft day. I think the uncertainty makes this fun, we all will pull for our favorites!
    I would have to think (the way it's shaping up) that a pitcher is who we take at 5 (and I want that personally unless there's a Tulo like SS available). This might be a situation where if there's no sizable gap between say 5 and 10 or if the Twin's BPA isn't likely to go top 5, the Twins can leverage that to get an easier sign and then grab a tough sign later in the draft.

Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast