Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Last year about this time I had a list of about 8 prospects I figured the Twins would choose from. This year? Maybe 12. It definitely seems like we will end up with a pitcher unless Zimmer, Gordon, or Jackson step up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and guarantee you one of those five will be available at #5!
    Especially in regards to the "others".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I kind of hate to focus too greatly on exactly N players if we're drafting at N. If someone like Rodon falls to us, then it's likely for a reason, and that same reason may cause the Twins to pass as well. It's possible that the reasoning by the other teams doesn't apply to the Twins situation, but chances are we'd just be setting ourselves up for disappointment.
    I definitely relate to this. I often catch myself over-thinking things with these top players in the sense that I want them to play really well, but not be too dominate, because if they are too good then they won't be available at #5. And if they are dominating too much, then I want them to scuffle a little bit, just so that they aren't too good to be available at #5. For example, I was almost happy to see Tyler Beede get hit around last weekend, just because he was potentially looking too good. Anyway, I'm trying to simplify things by just hoping that everyone plays great all spring, ensuring that there will be a great player available at #5.

4. These 2 users like markos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-25-2014), gunnarthor (03-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries

Toussaint

Evidently Toussaint's changeup looked better yesterday, command was better too.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...otebook-day-1/

His changeup was a much improved offering compared to the showcase circuit. Over the summer, Toussiant would often get on the side of his changeup, causing the pitch to cut. The action caused the evaluators to think the offering was a cutter or slider at times because of its glove-side movement. But Toussiant’s 83-85 mph changeup that he throws with a split grip had considerable tumble and fade on Wednesday.

“It is light years ahead of where it was last summer and it was really good earlier this spring,” a National League scout said. “This spring he started to throw it more and his timing has been better, so he hasn’t been cutting through it anymore. Now he is working through it and finishing it. It has really taken off and shows the makings of a plus pitch.”

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Evidently Toussaint's changeup looked better yesterday, command was better too.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...otebook-day-1/
    Reports had his fastball sitting between 92-94 with a few 95s. Definitely an interesting arm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Last edited by cmb0252; 03-27-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Chavis

Chavis is still red hot. As of Mar 24 he was batting .700 (21 for 30) with 5 HR. He hit his 6th HR Wednesday.

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/247987...e-for-pitchers

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...e_right_column

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Anyone have an idea who the Twins might take with the first pick in 2015?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

10. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TRex (03-28-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Anyone have an idea who the Twins might take with the first pick in 2015?
    Moderator's note: funny enough, but it's way too easy to take any given thread and turn it into one of the standard foodfights, in this case "say, has anyone here happened to notice the Twins have lost 290+ games the past three years and don't look that hot this Spring?" Please, folks, don't go out of your way to give the moderation team more gray areas to have to sift through - enough of them come up organically.

Blog Entries
    An unspectacular outing for Beede last night. 5 IP, 5H, 3R, 3BB, 4K against Kentucky.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...r-marquee-win/

Senior Member All-Star
    Here is a random mock. I can actually see the top few picks going like this but there is no way Zimmer is going 32. Heck, I think he has put himself in top 10 and maybe top 5 talk. 6 HR, .400+ BA, 11 SB, good BB/K ratio, above average defender. I'm actually interested if the Twins have been scouting him. They love toolsy players.

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2014/0...ock-draft-v-1/

Senior Member All-Star
    Also, just looking at mocks it is obvious that this is a super deep draft. Twins are going to get a stud in the second round. Would love to see Marshall or Forest there.

Blog Entries
    Another random mock:

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...41-picks/42145

That's the first I've seen Jackson going no. 1.

I have to go with Jackson, the best prep bat in the draft and a lesser risk than an arm. At 6’-2” and 200 pounds, the right-hander has explosive bat speed and tremendous raw power. I saw him at Wrigley last summer and the ball really does sound different coming off his bat.
    We've heard that about Sano too (those of us that haven't seen him live).

If Jackson falls to 5, should the Twins take him?

edit: Put it another way, if the choice is between Jackson and someone like Hoffman or a tailspinning Rodon, should the Twins take Jackson?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Marshall seems the type of guy that the Twins would target. He's from a GA high school and the Twins have really stepped up their scouting in that area these last few years. LHP with an strong change-up seems to fit the Twins mold, too. mlbpipeline has him rated the #32 draft prospect right now so he could be there for the Twins in the second round (Last year, Eades was #27 on their list and fell).

Others that I think we'd love to get would be Burdi (we drafted him before and Twins have been picking flamethrowers since Johnson took over. Probably doesn't drop that far though) or Sheffield, a LHP from TN whose brother was drafted but didn't sign w/Boston last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Another random mock:

edit: Put it another way, if the choice is between Jackson and someone like Hoffman or a tailspinning Rodon, should the Twins take Jackson?
    I don't know enough about Jackson to actually answer this but he's starting to grow on me. Mostly because I think RH power is a real advantage at Target Field and I'd like to stock up on it and I like the thought of having impact bats in the system. So, in some ways, it becomes a question of do we want the best bat in the draft or the 5th best pitcher? I'm not sure but I hope the Twins are scouting the crap out of him. Frankly, if his upside is Cuddyer/Willingham (a solid corner bat, limited defense) I think I'd rather they take a lottery ticket chance on the pitcher who drops but might be a legit 1 or 2 down the road. But if they think Jackson can be Cuddyer with good defense or a better offensive Cuddyer (or stick at catcher) then I'd probably change my mind.

Senior Member All-Star

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that but he won't go at #5 and he won't drop to the second round. If we were drafting at 15-20, maybe you start hoping he falls to you but ...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another random mock:

I'd probably go for an ace upside pitcher if one is still there at 5, but if he's the best bat and the rest of the pitchers look more like a 2 upside, I'd say yes. Good bats at up the middle positions are always valuable, and he could easily be flipped if Pinto suddenly turned into the second coming of Joe Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    the ball doesn't sound different coming off of Cuddyer or Willingham's bat. That doesn't mean that jackson doesn't end up being a .270 20+ HR hitter but his upside is higher than that.

so far the news is good this spring. It sounds like a top 5-7 is emerging and the Twins could have a top pitcher and/or Jackson available. Some promising news about Gatewood also but he still isn't at the Jackson level in this draft.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's so many picks in the 10-30 picks there I'd love to have. Wish we could trade back from the #5 to get 2 picks in that range.

Willi...I'd take the tailspinning Rodon or a tailspinning Koleck.

Personally, I don't like Hoffman at all in the 1st RD. Or the 2nd for that matter.

Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast