http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/03/t...014-volume-ii/

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Chris Crawford's second mock draft:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/03/t...014-volume-ii/
    Jose Fernandez and Carlos Rodon as a 1-2 punch would be pretty friggin sweet for MIA.

I'm lukewarm on Jackson mainly because I haven't watched any of him yet (just read about him.) Would be bummed to miss out on Kolek by one spot.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Jose Fernandez and Carlos Rodon as a 1-2 punch would be pretty friggin sweet for MIA.

I'm lukewarm on Jackson mainly because I haven't watched any of him yet (just read about him.) Would be bummed to miss out on Kolek by one spot.
    Kolek definitely looks like a stud. While a team can never have too much pitching after Buxton/Sano graduate our system is going to be pretty light on elite hitters. Rosario, Kepler, and Santana are great but they aren't elite talents. Jackson could be special with his bat.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing watching Aiken - he kinda short arms it, doesn't he? Reminds me of CJ Wilson.

I'm intrigued by him but skeptical that he has ace upside with that delivery.

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen a lot of chatter about McKinney:

Look at that changeup. 6 swings, 6 misses.

Anyone know where his fastball has been clocked this spring?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The thing watching Aiken - he kinda short arms it, doesn't he? Reminds me of CJ Wilson.

I'm intrigued by him but skeptical that he has ace upside with that delivery.
    Here is Law on Aiken's delivery:

"His delivery is excellent -- he starts tall over the rubber with a high leg kick, then pushes off well with a long stride, turning his pitching elbow over early and finishing mostly over his front side. He doesn't fully pronate his forearm before his front foot lands, but other than that it's a solid delivery that makes very efficient use of his lower half to generate that power."

The biggest question I have about Aiken is if he going to end up with a plus-plus pitch. If his fastball sits at 93-94 and hits 97 with some movement from the left side that's a 70 pitch. Add in his two other pitches which could both be plus and I think you have an ace.

8. These 2 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (03-31-2014), Willihammer (03-31-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Chris Crawford released an ESPN insider article; Top College Bats are Stepping up today. Highlights Zimmer, Conforto, and Schwarber. One scout had this to say about Zimmer:
    "[Zimmer] is the one true five-tool player in this class," an NL Central scout said. "He's not going to hit for massive power numbers, steal 40 bases and hit .330, but I think he's going to provide above-average numbers everywhere. My only question is at 6-foot-5, is he going to be able to stay in center field. The bat plays wherever he ends up, though."

Crawford notes all three being first rounders while Zimmer could go in the top 10. He also has notes on college pitchers Beede, Ellis, Newcomb, and Imhof. Full inside article here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1462

Last edited by cmb0252; 03-31-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Haven't seen a lot of chatter about McKinney:

Look at that changeup. 6 swings, 6 misses.

Anyone know where his fastball has been clocked this spring?
    Haven't heard what he has been sitting at this spring but was in the low 90s and hitting 94 this summer. Definitely has one of the best change ups in the draft. Monster of a kid too. 6'5 and 220+ lbs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Kiley Mcdaniel's reports/videos on Hoffman, Rodon, Turner

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1389607.html
    Last edited by cmb0252; 04-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Miley Mcdaniel's reports/videos on Hoffman, Rodon, Turner

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1389607.html
    Ha, Miley? Typo or are you making fun of him?

He certaily has concerns about all three, but interpreting his notes, it seems like Hoffman' issues are more correctable than Rodon and Turner's.

He seems to think Hoffman is rushing his delivery compared to his Cape Cod breakout. He also questions his catchers' pitch calling abilities. Certainly those are both coachable improvements.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 04-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Ha, Miley? Typo or are you making fun of him?

He certaily has concerns about all three, but interpreting his notes, it seems like Hoffman' issues are more correctable than Rodon and Turner's.

He seems to think Hoffman is rushing his delivery compared to his Cape Cod breakout. He also questions his catchers' pitch calling abilities. Certainly those are both coachable improvements.
    Haha, stupid auto correct.

Lots of analysts are pretty down on Rodon lately and some think he could fall out of the top 10. He has less projection than the HS arms and some think he may have already peaked. Beede has more projection and is a better athlete than Rodon but he has also lost quite a bit of steam as his control has regressed substantially and brought back all the concerns we heard preseason. Brady (not Clay) Aiken, Bradley Zimmer, Grant Holmes and Nick Gordon have a lot of helium right now and Tyler Kolek has done the best to retain his preseason standing as a shoe-in top 5 pick. The more I hear about Gordon and watch impressive hitting clips (legit SS power!) the more excited I get. If we don't take one of the top HS arms - Aiken, Kolek, Holmes - or Jeff Hoffman I could see us grabbing Gordon.

Senior Member All-Star

Blog Entries
    Write up on Toussaint.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...eps-big-season

"It's very humbling to see the hard work pay off," Toussaint said of the attention, "but I have to keep working to reach my goal of being a major-league starting pitcher. I don't really pay attention to any of it. I've seen a lot of kids take it and run with it and their head get huge."
    Toussaint, who allowed just one hit and struck out 12 in six innings in a 1-0 win against Orange Lutheran (Ca.) Wednesday with several scouts watching, is 4-1 on the mound this season. He has allowed five runs – one earned – and 14 hits (0.24 ERA) and has struck out 48 in 28 1/3 innings pitched.
    Against Cardinal Gibbons, his fastball hit 97 m.p.h. on a radar gun four times.
    But really, all three of his pitches – fastball, curveball and changeup -- are "equally dangerous," Cleveland said, and this year "he's set himself apart by throwing a lot more strikes and being a lot more consistent."
    He's also getting comps to Pedro now. Throws 97. Hammer of a curveball. Changeup's coming along too? I'm sold. His stuff is electric.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will have the 10th largest Draft Pool according to Jim Callis at $7,525,000. He doesn't have the breakdown of each pick, but the pool is increasing by 1.7% over last year.

Their International pool is 5th largest at $3,686,600.

About Toussaint: He's a Vandy commit. I did some asking around last month and the consensus was that he would be be better off going to Vandy. Of course, it only takes one team to fall in love with him, which seems likely. I'd love for him to fall to the Twins in Round 2, but don't see it happening. Too far to go to go Top 5 overall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

Their International pool is 5th largest at $3,686,600.

About Toussaint: He's a Vandy commit. I did some asking around last month and the consensus was that he would be be better off going to Vandy. Of course, it only takes one team to fall in love with him, which seems likely. I'd love for him to fall to the Twins in Round 2, but don't see it happening. Too far to go to go Top 5 overall.
    What more does he need to do? Velo is there. Curveball is definitely there. Improved command, improved changeup. Comps to Pedro.

He started the year 8 on MLB.com's board. I think he's definitely in top 5 conversation by now, esp. with Rodon, Hoffman and Beede all inconsistent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 272 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What more does he need to do? Velo is there. Curveball is definitely there. Improved command, improved changeup. Comps to Pedro.

He started the year 8 on MLB.com's board. I think he's definitely in top 5 conversation by now, esp. with Rodon, Hoffman and Beede all inconsistent.
    The numbers on the college websites are below. They look pretty good, Hoffman's ERA is not spectacular though.

Rodon 47 IP, 2.09 ERA, .213 BA against. 55K

Beede 40 IP, 2.47 ERA, .176 BA against, 46K.

Hoffman 45 IP, 3.86 ERA, .213 BA, 45K.

Blog Entries
    All of those guys have been up and down. Also Rodon's velo is 89-92 this spring which isn't unusual for him to start throwing slower, but its not exactly encouraging either. Beede's been wild at times which as I understand it was the major question mark on him all along. I actually like Hoffman the best of those 3 right now. Regardless, did you see Toussaint's numbers? He is dominating.

It just seems strange to me that he would start the year at 8, and pretty much everyone above him would struggle and he'd dominate, and the standings don't really change. In fact I saw one mock with him falling all the way to 18 for some reason. I just don't get it.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The latest I had on him was from late February. I'll give it another month and see if opinions change.

"Touki will you tease you when he's on... then it disappears. He has to let up to throw strikes. Live arm.. athletic... just needs to put it together and be consistent."

He was the #1 prospect in this class 18 months ago. Was out of some people's Top 10 9 months ago. He's polarizing. It will be interesting to see how he is in the days leading up to the draft.

Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast