Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Nola? is it Aaron Nola? From the same school Ryan Eades is from...any chance the twins take him at 5 or is it better to hope he falls to the second rd?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    What about Nola? is it Aaron Nola? From the same school Ryan Eades is from...any chance the twins take him at 5 or is it better to hope he falls to the second rd?
    He's not considered a top 5 talent but he'll probably go in the top 15. Barring something strange - an injury - he won't be there in the 2nd round.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Keith Law chat today:
    Rick Hahn has stated the White Sox are targeting a college pitcher with their #3 pick in the draft. Who offers more upside Hoffman or Beede?
    Klaw (1:04 PM)
    Hoffman. More velocity, great athlete, underdeveloped as a pitcher right now. Beede's the safer pick of the two, but I would bet that if they have both guys staring them in the face (and Rodon too) they'd take Hoffman.

What's the absolute farthest you can see Rodon falling to in June?
    Klaw (1:10 PM)
    Seems like the Cubs at 4 would be a stopping point for him - a large-market team with no historical aversion to taking, shall we say, players with his likely bonus demands. After that, it gets dicey.

Think the jays have a shot at Nick Gordon when their first pick comes around?
    Klaw (1:14 PM)
    Yes, I think he goes in that range.

I know a prep righty has never been selected first overall, but should the Astros seriously consider taking Kolek with their first pick? It seems like his stock is rising.
    Klaw (1:20 PM)
    History of prep RHP that high in the draft isn't favorable and his secondary stuff isn't that advanced. I prefer Aiken, considering all factors

Will the cubs be able to draft a ace and would they consider drafting a position player. Thanks
    Klaw (1:21 PM)
    I don't think there's any bat worthy of the 4th overall pick this year. It's all arms up top.

Any chance Kolek falls to 5?
    Klaw (1:21 PM)
    Don't see it.

Do you remember another prospect who had as much helium as Jacob Gatewood did last year fall so far so fast?
    Klaw (1:28 PM)
    Happens quite a bit with prep kids. Harold Martinez was one - looked like a sure top 10 pick as a junior, ended up falling so far he went to college. Phillies took him in the 2nd round three years later and he's been terrible, .257/.322/.348 all in A-ball so far.

Bradley Zimmer: middle-of-the-order potential?
    Klaw (1:46 PM)
    Seems like it. Has the size and athleticism, pretty good approach, not sure he stays in CF with that kind of body though.

Do your recent viewings of Rodon change his ceiling, or just lower the floor?
    Klaw (2:06 PM)
    That's a damn good question. I'm not really sure if it's both or not. I feel less confident about him becoming an ace, certainly.

If you're the Twins, do you want the 5th best pitcher in this draft of the best position player when you pick at #5?
    Klaw (2:07 PM)
    What if the 5th best pitcher is still better than the best position player? However, I had one exec point out that if we look back on this draft in ten years, the odds that the five best players will all turn out to have been pitchers are incredibly slim. So maybe the bat is there and we just haven't identified him yet?

Who is the better HS prep arm - Kohl Stewart or Kolek?
    Klaw (2:10 PM)
    Kolek has size and velocity. Stewart had athleticism and a better slider. I'd lean Kolek but it's not a huge gap.

Does Aaron Nola have #2 starter upside?
    I don't think so. High-probability but more 4th starter. A #2 starter, someone who's top 30-40 in his league, should have some kind of a swing-and-miss pitch, and Nola doesn't.

Last edited by cmb0252; 04-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Keith Law answered a question about Nola today in his chat:
    Does Aaron Nola have #2 starter upside?
    I don't think so. High-probability but more 4th starter. A #2 starter, someone who's top 30-40 in his league, should have some kind of a swing-and-miss pitch, and Nola doesn't.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 371 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    All of those guys have been up and down. Also Rodon's velo is 89-92 this spring which isn't unusual for him to start throwing slower, but its not exactly encouraging either. Beede's been wild at times which as I understand it was the major question mark on him all along. I actually like Hoffman the best of those 3 right now. Regardless, did you see Toussaint's numbers? He is dominating.

It just seems strange to me that he would start the year at 8, and pretty much everyone above him would struggle and he'd dominate, and the standings don't really change. In fact I saw one mock with him falling all the way to 18 for some reason. I just don't get it.
    His size isn't going to change and that does seem to be an issue with some clubs. He's not small, but fair or not 6'2" 185 isn't what most clubs ideally look for in a top 5 pitcher is my guess.

Also, while control has come into play with Rodon, Beede and Hoffman this spring, do we know that it isn't still a concern for Toussaint? His numbers are going to look the same with great control or spotty control, he's in a different class than the guys he's facing.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    His size isn't going to change and that does seem to be an issue with some clubs. He's not small, but fair or not 6'2" 185 isn't what most clubs ideally look for in a top 5 pitcher is my guess.

Also, while control has come into play with Rodon, Beede and Hoffman this spring, do we know that it isn't still a concern for Toussaint? His numbers are going to look the same with great control or spotty control, he's in a different class than the guys he's facing.
    Who's more coachable, a wild 17 year old or a wild 21 year old?

*Caveat - the 17 year old is playing his 5th year of organized baseball. The 21 year olds are playing their... I dunno, 12th.

Senior Member All-Star

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    New stuff on ESPN today, also. Rodon continues to struggle.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    New stuff on ESPN today, also. Rodon continues to struggle.....
    Here is a link to the article:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1499

While Turner and Rodon have struggled a lot of the HS arms have shined. There have also been some good reports about Alex Jackson. Rodon, Hoffman, Beede, Aiken, Holmes, Kolek, and Jackson seem to be in the top tier together.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Here is a link to the article:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1499

While Turner and Rodon have struggled a lot of the HS arms have shined. There have also been some good reports about Alex Jackson. Rodon, Hoffman, Beede, Aiken, Holmes, Kolek, and Jackson seem to be in the top tier together.
    Barring injury concerns, I highly doubt Rodon slips to #5. The folks at ESPN want people to follow. Just look at the NFL. Guys go from top pick to out of the top 10 for no reason at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Barring injury concerns, I highly doubt Rodon slips to #5. The folks at ESPN want people to follow. Just look at the NFL. Guys go from top pick to out of the top 10 for no reason at all.
    He probably doesn't slip (and he probably gets his stuff back together) BUT, right now, if the Astros don't take him, he could slip. No HS RHP has ever been taken #1 and Kolek probably won't be the first but if the Astros take Aiken it could line up pretty well. Miami has already been linked to Kolek and the Cubs are supposed to be in love with Beede. White Sox tend to draft college arms and have scouted Hoffman a lot. So if the top four is Aiken, Kolek, Hoffman, Beede Twins could get Rodon. Right now, I think the Twins end up with Hoffman (and are very happy with that) or Jackson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    He probably doesn't slip (and he probably gets his stuff back together) BUT, right now, if the Astros don't take him, he could slip. No HS RHP has ever been taken #1 and Kolek probably won't be the first but if the Astros take Aiken it could line up pretty well. Miami has already been linked to Kolek and the Cubs are supposed to be in love with Beede. White Sox tend to draft college arms and have scouted Hoffman a lot. So if the top four is Aiken, Kolek, Hoffman, Beede Twins could get Rodon. Right now, I think the Twins end up with Hoffman (and are very happy with that) or Jackson.
    As of today this is pretty much how I feel. Hoffman and Jackson seem to be the most likely bets. Getting the best bat out of a draft isn't a bad thing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like the Twins to be leaning toward position players. - Especially if the first 4 pics are dominated by pitchers.

Twins could have virtually their choice of a position player, and if there is an impact bat, he needs to be taken.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 129 Times in 81 Posts
    I know that almost everyone is fixated on the pitching in this draft but Alex Jackson is sounding like a beast.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I know that almost everyone is fixated on the pitching in this draft but Alex Jackson is sounding like a beast.
    From Conor Dorney on Jackson:
    "Jackson continues to terrorize prep pitching in Southern California and is now up to a healthy .424/.587/.939 line for the season."

Definitely has the potential to be a stud.

Senior Member All-Star
    Articles from Jim Callis on A.J. Reed, Grant Holmes, and Brandon Finnegan:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    At the risk of being flayed, I'll say it: I want Jackson. Take all pitchers after him, if they want.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Assuming no wide gap exists in talent, I would be very happy if we took a power arm. You can't have enough of them.

I think the Twins should trade prospects for Didi and take an arm here.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rancho Bernardo High (San Diego) fell from No. 3 to No. 23 after suffering two losses in three games, moving the Broncos’ record to 10-2. Catcher Alex Jackson, a potential top-10 overall selection who is hitting .429/.600/1.000 in 12 games this season, has hit five home runs this spring, giving him 41 for his career. He is within striking distance of the San Diego Section career home run record of 47 set by another product of “The Factory,” outfielder John Drennen, a 2005 first-round pick of the Cleveland Indians.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/high-...op-25-april-8/

Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast