Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    April 11th run down by mlbdraftinsider.com. Notes on Rodon, Beede, Aiken, Kolek, and HS bats.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/04/t...down-april-11/

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    FWIW, Carlos Rodon looked like his old self yesterday. But he also the 134 pitches, so there's that.
    Reports had his fastball hitting 98 at least twice.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post

Here are a few of the stats Mr.Crawford says some teams use (while some don't).

1. Strike out to walk rate for pitchers. An NL scout had this to say:

“There are not many kids in this class who can miss bats like [Beede or Toussaint], but if you don’t at least a 2-1 strikeout to walk ratio, then I’m not sure you’re worth a first-round pick."
    In that respect Freeland is leading the pack- 15:1
    Nola is up there too - 6.5:1
    Beede- 2.8:1
    Rodon- 3.3:1
    Hoffman- 2.9:1
    Newcomb- 2.5:1
    Reed- 2.5:1

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    Here is a chart comparing senior year hitting stats of Clint Frazier and Alex Jackson. It goes without saying this is not an apples to apples comp as they field different positions and have very different physical attributes and projections. As hitters, however, both are known for elite bat speed and aggressive approaches. If anything else it is an interesting comparison of pure hitting stats:

Player GP AVG PA AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB BB% K K% OBP SLG OPS
    Frazier 32 0.485 114 97 56 47 45 4 4 17 17 14.91% 8 7.02% 0.561 1.134 1.695
    Jackson 13 0.436 54 39 19 17 16 3 1 7 10 18.52% 4 7.41% 0.593 1.102 1.696
    Projected 32 0.436 133 0 47 42 40 8 3 17 25 18.52% 10 7.41% 0.593 1.102 1.696

From a power perspective their stats are nearly identical with Jackson earning a slight edge in pitch selection as he has a higher walk rate. What makes me excited about Jackson that Frazier lacks is physical projection. He is a solid 6'2" 215 lb 18 year old who will likely add 10-20 lbs before reaching the bigs. If he is available at 5 it would be hard to pass on an opportunity to add a legit 30+ homer potential bat to our system. His current power is big and his future power could be elite. I say if Rodon/Aiken/Kolek are gone and Jackson is available we should take him, move him to the OF and have him focus his time on maximizing his hitting potential instead of learning to call games at the big league level.
    Jackson hit 2 HRs on Wednesday. Definitely has big power potential with an elite hit tool to match. At the start of the year I wasn't as high on him as most but I'm a huge fan of his now. Definitely wouldn't mind him falling to the Twins at 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Notes, insider, on college relief pitching prospects Nick Burdi, Michael Cederoth, and Kevin Tapina from Crawford. One scout suggests Burdi won't make it to the second round:

"For me, Burdi is a first-round talent," an NL West scout said. "Someone might be tempted to make him a starter, but I just don't think he has the command and the delivery requires too much effort. Still, he's going to miss bats like crazy, and I think he can get left and right-handed batters out with no problem, which makes him a future closer."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1507

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    In that respect Freeland is leading the pack- 15:1
    Nola is up there too - 6.5:1
    Beede- 2.8:1
    Rodon- 3.3:1
    Hoffman- 2.9:1
    Newcomb- 2.5:1
    Reed- 2.5:1
    While Reed has pitched well this year he isn't going to pitch in the bigs with his bat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I'm really high on Gatewood.
    But, that said, I think there will be better options at 5.
    This draft is pretty loaded, IMO, the Twins better not miss at 5.

Have we overlooked junior LHP Kyle Freeland as a potential pick at 5? He has absolutely dominated inferior competition in the Missouri Valley Conference this year and leads D1 baseball in Ks and K/Walk ratio. Reports say he has grown to 6'4" 190 lbs and he has excellent command of a 94 mph fastball with movement and strong secondary stuff. It seems he has more helium than any other college starter and I would expect the next round of mocks to project this. I am very curious on how the Twins view him.

Thus far my hypothesizing has the first 11 picks going:

• Astros-Brady Aiken
    • Marlins-Tyler Kolek
    • White sox-Alex Jackson
    • Cubs-Carlos Rodon
    • Twins-Tyler Beede
    • Mariners-Jeff Hoffman
    • Phillies-Nick Gordon
    • Rockies-Grant Holmes
    • Blue Jays-Kyle Freeland
    • Mets-Bradley Zimmer
    • Blue Jays-Touki Toussaint

Touki Toussaint seems to be a good fit for the Jays and their #9 or #11 pick. Can afford to take the risk and try to get him away from Vanderbilt. Things are fluent, but as of right now this is how I see it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the_youngster View Post

• Astros-Brady Aiken
    • Marlins-Tyler Kolek
    • White sox-Alex Jackson
    • Cubs-Carlos Rodon
    • Twins-Tyler Beede
    • Mariners-Jeff Hoffman
    • Phillies-Nick Gordon
    • Rockies-Grant Holmes
    • Mets-Bradley Zimmer

Touki Toussaint seems to be a good fit for the Jays and their #9 or #11 pick. Can afford to take the risk and try to get him away from Vanderbilt. Things are fluent, but as of right now this is how I see it.
    I would guess we take Hoffman over Beede. Beede has had some control issues

Quote Originally Posted by the_youngster View Post

• Astros-Brady Aiken
    • Marlins-Tyler Kolek
    • White sox-Alex Jackson
    • Cubs-Carlos Rodon
    • Twins-Tyler Beede
    • Mariners-Jeff Hoffman
    • Phillies-Nick Gordon
    • Rockies-Grant Holmes
    • Mets-Bradley Zimmer

I think this is a pretty good looking mock. Personally I prefer Hoffman over Beede and Alex Jackson over both of them. Kyle Freeland is sneaking up there as well...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Agreed. Right now I think I'm starting to lean toward Jackson falling to us but I think I have the guys ranked like this:
    Aiken, Rodon, Kolek, Jackson, Hoffman, Beede.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I make take Hoffman over Rodon. Maybe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Agreed. Right now I think I'm starting to lean toward Jackson falling to us but I think I have the guys ranked like this:
    Aiken, Rodon, Kolek, Jackson, Hoffman, Beede.
    It looks like the three that will be gone are Aiken, Rodon, and Kolek. I would be pretty surprised if we have a shot. I think the mix at #5 is Hoffman, Beede, Jackson, and maybe one of the SS.

My biggest fear at this point is one of the pitchers in front of us gets injured (elbow, shoulder, forearm which drops velocity, hip like Mannaea last year). Then the talent all moves up a pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    It looks like the three that will be gone are Aiken, Rodon, and Kolek. I would be pretty surprised if we have a shot. I think the mix at #5 is Hoffman, Beede, Jackson, and maybe one of the SS.

My biggest fear at this point is one of the pitchers in front of us gets injured (elbow, shoulder, forearm which drops velocity, hip like Mannaea last year). Then the talent all moves up a pick.
    I worry about that also, but hopefully Gatewood, Gordon, Holmes, Toussaint and Feeland's increased stature will offset any declines.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I make take Hoffman over Rodon. Maybe.
    If they both have very good stuff and one has control question marks and one doesn't, I think you take the one without.

I am guessing we won't be drafting at #5 next year and this is a loaded draft. So it is a pretty important pick.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chavis

I realize he's nobody's pick at 5 but I can't help wondering if Chavis is a hidden gem.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...cker-april-11/

“I saw him take batting practices three times and I am not going back because there is nothing else to see in BP to impress me,” a National League scout said. “He hit 15 of 30 swings either in the road or over the road at Sprayberry. His eighth home run in BP hit the tower in deep right field, he ricocheted off the light tower. He went out three times to straight-away center field and bounced three over in right center field.”
    “Then in the game the pitcher threw a breaking ball to the outside part of the plate and he hit a home run off the right-field scoreboard,” the scout said. “He singled back over the shortstop’s head and nearly took the pitcher’s glove off. He is so strong in his hands and wrists.”
    And then this:

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1392968.html

The interesting angle on Chavis is what position he plays. Talking with some scouts at the game, I asked the group if they thought he could catch. A few of them said their club had already asked Chavis if he was open to it and he said yes (scouts love Chavis makeup, so this doesn't surprise me), but admitted he had barely tried it before. Other scouts hadn't considered it and said they thought it could work, as the quick feet, plus arm and frame all fit the typical catcher profile. One expressed concern that his hands might not be good enough, but everyone agreed there's no way to before the draft--and that Chavis will definitely put on the gear at some private pre-draft workouts so teams can see if this is a viable option. In this way, he's similar to the Giants 2013 1st rounder, Florida prep infielder Christian Arroyo.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    The fact that Beede is a little wild is what intrigues me. He let's it go and is anti-The Twins Way. Beede WANTS to strike people out and that is why he is a top 5'er for me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    The fact that Beede is a little wild is what intrigues me. He let's it go and is anti-The Twins Way. Beede WANTS to strike people out and that is why he is a top 5'er for me.
    2012 - 4.52 ERA, 71 IP, 68 K, .287 BA against. 3.95 BB per 9.

2013 - 2.10 ERA, 94 IP, 97 K, .179 BA against, 5.26 BB per 9 (not a typo).

2014 - 2.81 ERA, 48 IP, 52 K, .175 BA against, 3.0 BB per 9.

I hope he manages his control enough so that someone in front of us takes him. This has us changing his delivery to gain better control written all over it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're missing Beede's latest start against Texas A&M 5IP 4K 4BB
    Unless Beede turns it around, I can see him falling toToronto. Again. They would need his permission to draft him since they draftedhim in 2011. It could be that he falls past Toronto.

Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast