Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

I am a really big fan of Sean Reid-Foley, but I dont see him going to the Twins. I think he gets picked late first round by a team like the Rays or Cardinals. If he doesn't get picked in the first round, I could see him easily going to college and becoming one of the top college pitchers for his next draft. For pick 46, I would definitely look towards Foster Griffin, Mac Marshall, Keaton McKinney, perhaps Scott Blewitt, and Grant Hockin. However, I would rank Sean Reid-Foley above them all. Jacob Bukauskus, Michael Kopech, and Spencer Adams are also good options, but may be trending too far up for the Twins in round 2.
    Last edited by the_youngster; 04-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Jim Callis on Bukauskas, Imhof, and Harrison:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Michael Chavis hit a walk-off grand slam on the first pitch he saw in the bottom of the seventh inning Saturday, lifting Sprayberry to a 6-3 victory over Riverwood in a key Region 7AAAAA game.
    http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...e_right_column

That's his 8th HR.

Could Chavis be this year's Addison Russell?

Anyone hear on Monte Harrison out of Missouri? Nebraska football recruit? How has be done this spring so far? I'm hoping he either gets drafted by us somewhere or goes to Nebraska.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Could Chavis be this year's Addison Russell?
    I don't think they're comparable, Willi.

According to Kiley McDaniel:
    He plays shortstop in high school and won't play there in the pros, but he looks quicker and flashed a plus arm that I hadn't seen over the summer. Chavis' hands are just okay and you could stick him at second base where the power really profiles, but he'll probably fit best at third.
    The interesting angle on Chavis is what position he plays. Talking with some scouts at the game, I asked the group if they thought he could catch. A few of them said their club had already asked Chavis if he was open to it and he said yes (scouts love Chavis makeup, so this doesn't surprise me), but admitted he had barely tried it before. Other scouts hadn't considered it and said they thought it could work, as the quick feet, plus arm and frame all fit the typical catcher profile. One expressed concern that his hands might not be good enough, but everyone agreed there's no way to before the draft--and that Chavis will definitely put on the gear at some private pre-draft workouts so teams can see if this is a viable option.
    http://mets.scout.com/2/1392968.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Anyone hear on Monte Harrison out of Missouri? Nebraska football recruit? How has be done this spring so far? I'm hoping he either gets drafted by us somewhere or goes to Nebraska.
    From Jim Callis:

Area scouts put Harrison's tools in the same class as those of Bubba Starling, the Kansas prep outfielder whom the Royals drafted fifth overall in 2011. Starling, who also had a football scholarship (quarterback) from Nebraska, has struggled to hit in pro ball. The switch-hitting Harrison has encouraged scouts by showing an improved swing and approach at the plate as a senior.
    "His athleticism is ridiculous," a senior scouting official said. "The raw power/speed/athleticism combo, you're talking about elite level. Is he going to hit? That's the $2 million question. I feel a little bit better about Monte's bat than I did about Bubba Starling's.
    "It's just that breaking ball/spin issue with pitch recognition. How do you know? How many times are you going to see him against a good right-handed slider? But his other tools are off the charts. He's explosive. You're talking about Adam Jones and guys like that."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    From Jim Callis:

Area scouts put Harrison's tools in the same class as those of Bubba Starling, the Kansas prep outfielder whom the Royals drafted fifth overall in 2011. Starling, who also had a football scholarship (quarterback) from Nebraska, has struggled to hit in pro ball. The switch-hitting Harrison has encouraged scouts by showing an improved swing and approach at the plate as a senior.
    "His athleticism is ridiculous," a senior scouting official said. "The raw power/speed/athleticism combo, you're talking about elite level. Is he going to hit? That's the $2 million question. I feel a little bit better about Monte's bat than I did about Bubba Starling's.
    "It's just that breaking ball/spin issue with pitch recognition. How do you know? How many times are you going to see him against a good right-handed slider? But his other tools are off the charts. He's explosive. You're talking about Adam Jones and guys like that."
    Glad we don't have to make the decision on him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    I don't think they're comparable, Willi.

According to Kiley McDaniel:
    Well, there are conflicting reports about his hands then. MLB.com says he has "terrific" hands with plenty of arm strength. Also scouts predicted Russell would move to 3B but there he sticks at SS (for the moment at least).

And I know high school stats are "meaningless" but Russell finished his senior year batting .368 with 7 HRs.

Chavis finished the regular season batting .627 with 7 HRs.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Also scouts predicted Russell would move to 3B but there he sticks at SS (for the moment at least).
    I think it's matter of degree. There's a difference between thinking a guy might grow out of SS and saying he won't play there in the pros. If they dreamed he could play SS, they wouldn't talk to him about catching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Keith Law saw Jake Bukauskus yesterday and wrote a scouting report on the 6 foot right.

"He's technically a high school junior, but is using a recent MLB rule change to enter the draft a year early because he's already 17, as Drew Ward did last year. And with Bukauskus hitting 98 mph regularly this spring, he has forced an industry scramble to get in and see him, because scouts don't have the history with him they might normally have with a first-round prospect. "

Keith law noted his fastball sat between 93-97 and hit 98 once. His slider was iinconsistent. He only threw his change up twice in game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1601

Blog Entries
    John Manuel isn't willing to comp Chavis to Russell either

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1398267269

• Hammer (draft nerd): What are the chances Michael Chavis ends up being this year's Addison Russell?

John Manuel: I would not make that comparison in any way. Chavis can really hit, and both are righthanded bats. That's about it.

Blog Entries
    JM on AJ Reed:

• Michael (Louisville): John, can AJ Reed from UK be the "pop-up" guy this year that goes in the 1st round?

John Manuel: He could hit his way into the first round. He leads the county in home runs, and he's improved his body significantly this season. There are scouts who don't love the swing or bat speed, but the bat-to-ball skills and strength are clearly enough for him to dominate at this level. I don't see him in the first round yet but he certainly could continue to hit his way up draft boards.
    Again I wonder what more Reed would have to do. He lead all college batters in ISO by over .100 points as of Apr 17.

Senior Member All-Star
    John Manuel's chat was very......interesting. He suggested about 15 names in play for top 5 picks which seems high. Here are few questions from the chat:

How are Twins gonna resist temptation of Aaron Nola at pick #5?
    John Manuel: Ha, they do love strike-throwers. That said, Freeland throws as many strikes, is lefthanded and has more stuff. The Twins have prioritized velocity in recent drafts and that points them away from Nola, but I don’t think Nola would be out of place at No. 5 either. He does more with his fastball than the majority of college pitchers. Erick Fedde would not be totally out of place there either, and is another guy with the combination of velocity and fastball command to interested Deron Johnson, Mike Radcliff & Co.

What range do you see LHP Kyle Freeland going around? Is he picking up momentum around scouts, assistant GMs, and GMs?
    John Manuel: Freeland does have momentum, and I could see him going very high. For me, he’d have to be in play at any spot in the first 10 selections. I don’t think he’s the right fit at No. 1 overall, but it’s not outlandish. He has stuff, command and a good pro body, plus he’s from Colorado, and I have an irrational fetish for tall pitchers from Colorado (I blame Roy Halladay, Brad Lidge, Kevin Gausman, Mark Melancon … I could go on). And no college pitcher has performed like Freeland this season when you look at his K-BB ratio.

John, what is Alex Jackson's ceiling/floor in terms of when he'll be selected? Seems like Houston and Miami need pitching more than hitting, but CWS could use everything. On the pessimistic side, could he fall out of the top 10?
    John Manuel: In this draft class, Jackson’s power and offensive ability stand out. I don’t see him falling out of the first 10 picks. I think he’s in play anywhere in the first 10 selections, frankly. He can hit, he’s athletic, he has a lengthy track record (particularly for a high school player) and he could remain at a premium position.

Will Alex Jackson folllow the likes of Will Meyers and Bryce Harper and move from behind the plate due to the advanced bat? Is he at that level where it warrants moving him from behind the dish?
    John Manuel: That’s possible but I don’t believe he has the explosiveness offensively those two guys have. I do see him moving to RF as a possibility because the bat is advanced, but I haven’t talked to a scout who puts him in the same power category as those two.

Hey John, thanks for the chat! Jedi (really Theo) is gonna take a pitcher at No. 4 right? Given this draft is pitcher-heavy, and the relative lack of arms in our system compared with our positional depth, this seems pretty obvious. One of Hoffman, Beede, Rodon, Aiken, Kolek is gonna be there.
    John Manuel: We thought the same thing last year, when the Cubs picked No. 2 overall, but they wound up going with a hitter in Kris Bryant. That said, there is not a Bryant in this draft, and this pitcher class is stronger than it was last year. Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod were all in town last week to see both Jeff Hoffman and Carlos Rodon, so both are in play, as potentially are Aiken and Kolek as you said. I can see Aaron Nola being in that mix, though he’s more in the Mike Leake mold, and I believe Kyle Freeland, Erick Fedde and Brandon Finnegan also could be in that mix at No. 4. None of those guys would stun me at No. 4, though I would at this point be a bit surprised by Beede at that spot.

With his recent spate of bad starts, how far has Tyler Beede's draft stock fallen? Or are MLB evaluators focusing largely on his arm talent and viewing this as a blip on the radar?
    John Manuel: We do hear Beede was probably a shade high at No. 6 in our Midseason Update. He seems to be in a bad groove right now; when he throws strikes, he gets hit, or he has one of those 5-walk outings. His command lags behind his control. The pitch that has really caught scouts’ attention is the improvement in his changeup, but it feels like he’s more of a 6-10 pick overall rather than a threat to go in the first five selections. I don’t believe he’ll fall into the second half, barring injury, just because there is so much to work with there.

He also answered questions on Gatewood, Gordon, eager, Turner, and more.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-update-chat-with-john-manuel/

Senior Member All-Star
    JM on AJ Reed:

Again I wonder what more Reed would have to do. He lead all college batters in ISO by over .100 points as of Apr 17.
    Reed is an interesting guy but lack of bat speed and the fact he is going to be a 1B or DH in the bigs kills his draft stock. Dude can hit it a mile though.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Kiley McDaniel @kileymcd
    Out two weeks with arm soreness. Unconfirmed buzz is that it's elbow RT @lot_49: @kileymcd What happened to Hoffman?
    Possibly not good as far as the hoping-one-of-the-top-pitchers-falls goes.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Possibly not good as far as the hoping-one-of-the-top-pitchers-falls goes.
    Wow, I hadn't seen that. Terrible news. Crawford released an insider article on players with the most to gain/lose and Hoffman was the college pitcher with the most to gain. Here is what one front office member had to say:

"It's going to be a huge final four or five starts [for Hoffman]," an AL front-office member said. "We all saw how dominant he was over the summer, and we saw glimpses of that this year, but last week was the first time we saw Hoffman really put it all together this season. If he can be that guy up until the end of May, I think he's got a really good chance of being the first pitcher to come off of the board when the draft gets here."

Beede was the college pitcher with the most to lose.
    Fisher was the college bat with the most to gain and Zimmer was the college bat with the most to lose.

Full article and breakdown here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1606

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    That said, if he is shut down now, say - would you take him at 5 if there?
    Till I Collapse

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Reed is an interesting guy but lack of bat speed and the fact he is going to be a 1B or DH in the bigs kills his draft stock. Dude can hit it a mile though.
    How slow is the bat exactly?

And, didn't scouts say that about Jose Abreu too when he played in the Serie Nacional?

I don't know if Reed has the same potential - he very well could be a dud. But I am putting less and less stock in reports about "bat speed," or lack thereof. Just from a physics standpoint, the bat on ball force is a product of bat speed AND bat weight.

He may have slow bat speed but if he's not getting beat on fastballs and hitting the ball a mile then he seems to be right on the sweet spot.

Bat weight isn't fixed therefore bat speed isn't either. Swing a lighter bat, swing faster as the pitching requires.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 04-24-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I love Crawford's work.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Here is another article on A.J. Reed:

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Articl...Award-28315318
    Last edited by cmb0252; 04-24-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast