Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I love Crawford's work.
    He does great work for ESPN and on his own site. Monday he will have a new mock and the week after that he will have a 100 prospect deep draft board.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    How slow is the bat exactly?

And, didn't scouts say that about Jose Abreu too when he played in the Serie Nacional?

I don't know if Reed has the same potential - he very well could be a dud. But I am putting less and less stock in reports about "bat speed," or lack thereof. Just from a physics standpoint, the bat on ball force is a product of bat speed AND bat weight.

He may have slow bat speed but if he's not getting beat on fastballs and hitting the ball a mile then he seems to be right on the sweet spot.

Bat weight isn't fixed therefore bat speed isn't either. Swing a lighter bat, swing faster as the pitching requires.
    I haven't seen Reed play in person so I can only go by what I read.

Senior Member All-Star
    Rodon dominated this weekend. Complete game with 15 K. Reports had his fastball hitting 97. He did throw over 125+ pitches for his third straight outing.

Not to be out done, Kolek struck out 16. Apparently the Marlins, white Sox, and cubs GMs were on hand for the performance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Rodon dominated this weekend. Complete game with 15 K. Reports had his fastball hitting 97. He did throw over 125+ pitches for his third straight outing.

Not to be out done, Kolek struck out 16. Apparently the Marlins, white Sox, and cubs GMs were on hand for the performance.
    Whoever picks rodon is going to have to shut him down after his college coaches have continuously threatened his future. He actual threw 135 pitches...he has averaged like 125 the last three weeks. I wonder how that helps/hurts his stock.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Yeah, I keep thinking of Philip Humber with Rodon now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Whoever picks rodon is going to have to shut him down after his college coaches have continuously threatened his future. He actual threw 135 pitches...he has averaged like 125 the last three weeks. I wonder how that helps/hurts his stock.
    It's great to see him pitch better but with the TJ surgery epidemic going on I can't see how it is a good thing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Through the fences website released a mock today and have the Twins taking Nick Gordon. Here is their write up:

Gordon is displaying all the tools this season that will make him a top-10 pick come June — he is one of the most exciting players in the 2014 MLB draft. Already a gifted defender at shortstop with a strong arm, instincts and great glove, he has shown increased power while maintaining his speed and advanced approach at the plate. The left-handed batter is hitting .507/.620/.870 over 27 games with nine doubles, two triples, five home runs and 17 stolen bases. He has drawn 18 walks to just three strikeouts and has been plunked five times. With his bloodlines, athleticism and baseball instincts, he has as much upside as anyone in the 2014 MLB draft. Committed to Florida State.

7. Philadelphia Phillies — Alex Jackson, C/OF, Rancho Bernardo HS (CA)

With arguably the top-four pitchers off the board, I think the Twins would go after the best prep bat in the 2014 MLB draft. Jackson is a 6’-2”, 200 pound right-hander with enormous power, excellent bat speed and an advanced approach at the plate. He has all of the tools to stick at catcher, but most feel a move to the outfield is likely because of the offensive upside. Through 20 games, he is hitting .414/.590/.965 with eight home runs and has drawn 16 walks to six strikeouts. He also has been hit by a pitch nine times. Committed to Oregon.

That is the write up for the Phillies. I wonder if perhaps the author meant to make Jackson the Twins selection. I just don't see the Twins taking Gordon even with the bloodlines, especially when pitching is so hard to come by (see 48 million for Nolasco). Also, hard to trust a site who can't see a mistake in the top 10, first sentence no less of the number 7 pick...just saying.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Good catch, Twerp

Senior Member All-Star
    QUOTE=Twins Twerp;219965]7. Philadelphia Phillies — Alex Jackson, C/OF, Rancho Bernardo HS (CA)

With arguably the top-four pitchers off the board, I think the Twins would go after the best prep bat in the 2014 MLB draft. Jackson is a 6’-2”, 200 pound right-hander with enormous power, excellent bat speed and an advanced approach at the plate. He has all of the tools to stick at catcher, but most feel a move to the outfield is likely because of the offensive upside. Through 20 games, he is hitting .414/.590/.965 with eight home runs and has drawn 16 walks to six strikeouts. He also has been hit by a pitch nine times. Committed to Oregon.

That is the write up for the Phillies. I wonder if perhaps the author meant to make Jackson the Twins selection. I just don't see the Twins taking Gordon even with the bloodlines, especially when pitching is so hard to come by (see 48 million for Nolasco). Also, hard to trust a site who can't see a mistake in the top 10, first sentence no less of the number 7 pick...just saying.[/QUOTE]

The site isn't the most credible but no mock draft this early is credible regardless of the source. I wanted to post this one because Gordon, outside of a few fans here who want the Twins to draft a SS, hasn't been talked about as an option at 5. He hasn't only had a great season statistically but scouting.

While you can never have enough pitching once Buxton/Sano graduate our system will be lacking in elite bats. Would it be such a bat thing to grab a top 50 talent bat at 5 and then grab an arm in the second round?

Also, talking about mocks Crawford is releasing his second one tomorrow.

Exciting about Crawford. Two drafts ago I wanted the twins to take best pitcher available. Last year i was hoping for best pitcher available, this year I would like the twins to take best pitcher available. I have an eerie feeling that the twins will take Jackson because top 4 arms will be gone.

If that happens I think all twins fans would be bummed we didnt get ace potential just like we were with buxton. Hopefully after two years we will admitting our own ignorance to the draft process and praising the twins. If Jackson is the next Wil Myer, are we happy? I think so.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't realize that Gordon was hitting that well. What's the big knock on him? If he's one that scouts think can stick at SS defensively, and he looks like a potential Tulo type guy with the bat, I'd say that there's a good case for BPA... I think I still like some of the pitchers better, but if Hoffman is hurt and Rodon, Kolek, and Aiken are all off the board, Gordon has to be a consideration.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    There is no knock on Gordon, KLAW has him 9 or 10 overall.....last I checked. He has put on muscle this year, and is no longer a slap hitter like he appeared to be last year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I have an eerie feeling that the twins will take Jackson because top 4 arms will be gone...

If Jackson is the next Wil Myer, are we happy? I think so.
    With Hoffman on the shelf, Jackson could be gone in the top 4.

Jackson is the top hitting prospect. That doesn't make him the next Myer. John Manuel said it was a mistake to compare him to Myer. I had him #2 on my board before I read that

If you draft Jackson, do you have him don the tools of ignorance -- that is, do you have him play catcher? I'm not concerned about speeding his path to the Show.

15. This user likes Lonestar's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Twerp (04-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    With Hoffman on the shelf, Jackson could be gone in the top 4.

Jackson is the top hitting prospect. That doesn't make him the next Myer. John Manuel said it was a mistake to compare him to Myer. I had him #2 on my board before I read that

If you draft Jackson, do you have him don the tools of ignorance -- that is, do you have him play catcher? I'm not concerned about speeding his path to the Show.

I'd argue he's far more valuable as a catcher than an OF. Given the lack of need at either positions, if he's the BPA and we take him, I'd think it would be best to leave him at C.

Senior Member MVP
    a short excerpt from ESPN today:

"To me, it's not even close [that Gordon is the best shortstop in this year's draft]," an NL West scout said. "And that includes both the college and high school side. The swing isn't perfect, but he's got quality bat speed and his bat-to-ball skills are well above-average. Add in the defensive ability, and you get a guy who has a chance to be a top-10 shortstop, maybe even better if everything goes right in his development."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-...es-a-statement
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    The early knock on Gordon is that his brother might not have more power than Revere. That isn't and never was true of Nick. The question is though just how much power will he develop. He's definitely not going to be a Tulo type SS. From what I read I see more of what we expected out of Starlin Castro. .280+, 10-15 HR's and 10-20 SB's with solid defense at SS.

One of the big problems with him at #5 is that he is all tools. Kind of like Aaron Hicks in some ways. He's the kind of prospect that could take 4+ years to get through the minors and turn average. Or never make it. tbh I have Gordon as a higher upside/lower floor version of Trea turner.

I find it ironic that Trea Turner is now out of the conversation for some of you that were making a case for him. He's having basically the same season except his BAPIP dropped from .390 to .300 this year.

19. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (04-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'd argue he's far more valuable as a catcher than an OF. Given the lack of need at either positions, if he's the BPA and we take him, I'd think it would be best to leave him at C.
    You certainly leave him at catcher for 2 seasons. At that point they should have some idea how much slower the path to the majors is at catcher and if he would be a liability there.

Senior Member MVP
    Not sure what you mean by "all tools". Given his stats line, he looks like production and tools to me, not just tools. I would think every guy drafted might "never make it". I'm not saying they should take him.....just that dismissing seems like a really bad idea. If he's a top 10 SS, that's certainly worth number 5.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Lonestar, can you share the link where you read that? Or at least provide the context? I'm trying to figure out what he meant. Is Jackson a different type of player than Myer (making direct comparisons questionable) or a clearly inferior player? If it is the latter, I'm very curious why he has that opinion. Myer wasn't very highly thought of going into the 2009 draft (#31 on BA's board, drafted in 3rd round), while Jackson has been in top-10 discussions all year.

Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast