Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Somewhere between 8-12 is what I had in mind. #5 in this draft and 8-12 in next years draft should be a pretty big drop off.

ah, fair enough.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Draft notes on Fedde, Tous, and Ramos from Callis:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...vkey=news_&sid
    Toussaint has an exceptionally quick arm. It allows him to deliver 92-96 mph fastballs and mid-70s curveballs. Toussaint's curve breaks so much that he has trouble keeping it in the zone, his catchers have difficulty handling it and umpires sometimes struggle to call it correctly for strikes.

While the Vanderbilt recruit will need time to develop and won't race to the Major Leagues, Toussaint could be a star once he gets there. One assistant GM said that Toussaint ranks a close second behind Kolek, who can throw his fastball upward of 100 mph, as the best pure high school arm in the Draft.
    "He even rivals Kolek a little bit," the assistant GM said. "You might say he has a much better breaking ball than Kolek, and their command is pretty similar. Toussaint is just scratching the surface. I'm seen him throw 96 mph with a 70 curveball and a 60 changeup [on the 20-80 scouting scale]. He's throwing better strikes.
    "He might have more upside than Kolek. He has a chance to be special. He has as much upside as anyone in this Draft."
    I know I probably sound like a broken record but - command can be coached. Electricity can't. This kid could be the next Pedro.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I know I probably sound like a broken record but - command can be coached. Electricity can't. This kid could be the next Pedro.
    That writeup has me drooling... might have to rethink what I wanted after reading that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I'm not sure how much command can be coached. Too some extent, I think it can - see Meyer and May's improvement - but Shooter Hunt also says "hello".

5. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I don't like him as much as you do, and probably don't want him at five, but I want him more than the low velocity college guys like Nola and Fedde. I probably still like Grant Holmes a bit more.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'm not sure how much command can be coached. Too some extent, I think it can - see Meyer and May's improvement - but Shooter Hunt also says "hello".
    Coached, learned or adjusted somehow, you have a better chance of improving the location of your pitches than you do of legally adding velocity.

"Control" pitchers need not apply at #5. Minimum requirements are a 95 mph heater and a wipeout breaking pitch. Resumes will be extensively vetted.

8. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (05-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    That writeup has me drooling... might have to rethink what I wanted after reading that.
    I like this kid. This is an interesting write up, says his ceiling is as high as anyone, but:

"I would bet that he ends up with two pitches that are at least 6 if not 7's, a solid average change and control enough to be a solid #2 starter in the majors."

Give me two 60-70 pitches and I am thinking more ace than #2. But he is intriguing either way.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...prings-fl-high

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    On the other hand - you wonder how bad his command is if he's losing strikes because the umps can't track his hammer and his catchers can't catch it (much less frame it).

I'd love to see a tryout where he throws to a decent backstop and then let's see how bad his command actually is.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Coached, learned or adjusted somehow, you have a better chance of improving the location of your pitches than you do of legally adding velocity.

"Control" pitchers need not apply at #5. Minimum requirements are a 95 mph heater and a wipeout breaking pitch. Resumes will be extensively vetted.
    I completely agree. When the Marlins took Jose Fernandez at #6 and the Dodgers took Kershaw at #7, they weren't hoping for a #4 or #5 starter. Fernandez had command question marks and Kershaw had an oblique injury his senior year. But those lotto tickets had a higher jackpot than a back of the rotation guy.

#4 or #5 starters can be signed on the free agent market. Even by the Twins. Kershaw and Fernandez will likely never be free agents and if they were, we wouldn't even put in a phone call.

12. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (05-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    On the other hand - you wonder how bad his command is if he's losing strikes because the umps can't track his hammer and his catchers can't catch it (much less frame it).

I'd love to see a tryout where he throws to a decent backstop and then let's see how bad his command actually is.
    His electric stuff that fools umpires and catchers alike reminds me of Deduno.

Of course Deduno seems to walk a thin line between utter dominance and complete train wreck. That line is pencil thin, I'm not sure how he stays on.

Or perhaps what I mean is, I wish he would finally fall off onto the utter dominance side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't like him as much as you do, and probably don't want him at five, but I want him more than the low velocity college guys like Nola and Fedde. I probably still like Grant Holmes a bit more.
    I like Holmes a lot too but Touki has the edge in the curveball and changeup, as I understand it (although Holmes' curve is pretty damn sick). Holmes does look pretty close to a finished product though whereas Touki would definitely be a bit of a project.

In my mind it comes down to a question of - who trusts their coaches? Who is confident in their player development? That is the team who stands to strike the motherload.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I find it ironic that Trea Turner is now out of the conversation for some of you that were making a case for him. He's having basically the same season except his BAPIP dropped from .390 to .300 this year.
    Turner had a nice week end.

11 AB | 9 H | 1 2B | 1 3B | 1 HR | 4 BB | 1 SO | 6 SB

Season slash stats up to .330/.424/.523

BABIP now .329

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Crawford released his new board. Heavily linked to the Twins Gordon moves up to #6. Check out his top 50 draft prospects here:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/05/t...014-volume-iv/

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Clearly, then Gordon isn't "taking a SS because they don't have one" thing anymore! Great. I hope he's legit, I hope they take him, because, they DON'T have one.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Crawford released an ESPN insider article today with a few draft updates. He talks about Aiken vs Rodon for top arm, talks about 3 college 1b (Reed, Sam Travis, and Casey Gillespie) making a late charge, and how Newcomb and Freeland continue to impress. Here is a scouts take on Freeland:

"I hear [Freeland] and {LSU's] Aaron Nola compared all the time," an AL scout said. "And I get the comparison, they're both pitchers who have plus command and have concerns about their low arm-slots. For me though, I'd rather have Freeland.

"If things are close I generally would prefer the left-hander anyway, and I think he's got a better breaking ball and is going to miss more bats at the professional level. That isn't necessarily what the industry thinks, and he's definitely going to have to use his change more, but if he does, he's got a chance to be a solid number three, maybe even a number two."

Link to full article here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1648

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Clearly, then Gordon isn't "taking a SS because they don't have one" thing anymore! Great. I hope he's legit, I hope they take him, because, they DON'T have one.
    I'm not a big bloodline guy but with Dee starting to finally put it together it makes Nick more interesting IMO. Especially when you take how much better of a prospect Nick is compared to his brother when he came out. Nick is bigger, stronger, has a better arm, and the footwork to handle SS. Also, having daddy Gordon as a father doesn't hurt.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm not a big bloodline guy but with Dee starting to finally put it together it makes Nick more interesting IMO. Especially when you take how much better of a prospect Nick is compared to his brother when he came out. Nick is bigger, stronger, has a better arm, and the footwork to handle SS. Also, having daddy Gordon as a father doesn't hurt.
    I'm guessing Alex must have been adopted?

21. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-06-2014), Willihammer (05-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Completely off topic, but has anyone checked out Mitch Brown's stats? Yeeeeesh. He's still young, but I'm glad they didn't go with the hometown kid.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    My board right now:

Tier 1 (super-exciting if one of these guys fell to the Twins)
    1) Aiken
    2) Rodon
    3) Kolek

Tier 2 (still exciting)
    4) Hoffman (assuming healthy)
    5) Gordon
    6) Jackson
    7) Holmes

Tier 3 (not so exciting, but not the end of the world)
    8) Freeland
    9) Beede
    10) Zimmer
    11) Nola

Anyone else would either be a disappointment or I just don't know enough about them right now. I was pretty close to moving Freeland up to Tier 2. Maybe I'll feel differently after I learn more about him in the next few weeks. Also, I was very close to dropping Nola off the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Here is a mock from bleacher report yesterday.

Rodon, Kolek, Aiken, Beede, then the Twins taking Gordon.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aft-day/page/2

Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast