Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    I've got a fever and the only cure is more mock drafts! Anyone see the Perfect Game mock? I know its poor form to ask for pay content but I'm sick here!
    I would share if I had a subscription. As for wanting a new mock John Manuel at BaseballAmerica is releasing one tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't also behind a pay wall. With the Hoffman update I'm sure Perfect Games will release an updated one soon.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The PG mock has Hoffman #1 and Holmes going #5 to the Twins. Gordon is going #14. It's not exactly one that you'd bet on coming true, IMO.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    From BA chat today:

Twins twerp (Western ND): Jeff hoffman to have tj surgery. Does he sit out a season untill next draft or fall to the nationals like gioloto this draft?

Ben Badler: I would bet he still gets paid this year. If I were him though, given that he’s going to have the surgery anyway, I would do something completely outside the box and consider becoming a resident of a foreign country like Haiti, sit out one year, then try to sign as an international free agent, where he probably could get more money even subject to the pools, which teams would certainly go past for a player of his caliber. I’m not sure MLB would allow it, but this might be the perfect time for someone daring and enterprising enough to try it. More realistically, yeah, he probably slips in the draft but still gets paid.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I completely agree. When the Marlins took Jose Fernandez at #6 and the Dodgers took Kershaw at #7, they weren't hoping for a #4 or #5 starter. Fernandez had command question marks and Kershaw had an oblique injury his senior year. But those lotto tickets had a higher jackpot than a back of the rotation guy.

#4 or #5 starters can be signed on the free agent market. Even by the Twins. Kershaw and Fernandez will likely never be free agents and if they were, we wouldn't even put in a phone call.
    Phone call wouldn't matter.

Yankees would go 15 years $500M for Fernandez. Kershaw isn't leaving Los Angeles.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball America has their first mock up. Twins take Gordon after Cubs take Finnegan. Jackson at 1-6, Freeland at 1-7.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Here's the link - http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...op-first-mock/

I have to say - with the knowledge that I don't know anything - that I'd prefer an offensive first player like Jackson over a HS shortstop. Heck, I'd be ok with them taking an injured Hoffman or even a college pitcher like Nola or Freeland ahead of Gordon. Which explains why I shouldn't be a scouting director.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Baseball Prospectus released a Draft Ten Pack yesterday where they played out the top 10 picks with various writers/scouts taking each team.

This was released prior to the Hoffman announcement (who was taken #4). The Twins ended up taking Holmes, with Toussaint, Jackson and Gordon going 6,7,8.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=23506

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    So it's a 3 player draft just like last year. Let's hope that 2 guys can establish themselves like Stewart did last year to make a 1B tier instead of a true 2nd tier.

The arms don't really dazzle me so I'm hoping that Jackson and Gordon can be this 1B tier.

It's interesting to see Zimmer and Holmes fall as far as they did.

Senior Member All-Star
    With Rodon, Aiken, and Kolek most likely off the board give me Gordon, Jackson, or Holmes. I just don't love any of the other college arms that much.

10. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    The Cubs do seem pretty light on young shortstops.

I really want one of the top arms but it's looking unlikely now. It would be nice to get an underslot deal for a change as long as they go high upside at #2. Still, there are too many teams with 2nd picks in the competitive balance rounds that the Twins will almost certainly will not be able to grab the cream of the crop of the "sliders."

Deron Johnson in person has recently been watched Aiken, Kolek, Jackson, Zimmer, Gordon, Nola, Penticost, Newcomb and Reid Foley in the last three weeks for what it's worth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Keith Law Released his new top 100 today and is also having a chat. If anyone wants to know where someone is ranked ask. Here is his top 10 without write ups:

1. Aiken
    2. Rodon
    3. Kolek
    4. Gordon
    5. Zimmer
    6. Jackson
    7. Holmes
    8. Fedde
    9. Newcomb
    10. Nola

Here is a link (insider required) to the full list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft...-Law-Big-Board

Senior Member All-Star
    Crawford also released an article (insider) today on the highest ceiling players in the draft. He named the HS/College hitters/pit hers with the highest ceiling. Here is who he had:

HS bat- Getty's
    HS arm- Toussaint
    College bat- Zimmer
    College arm- Rodon

Link to article:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1655

Senior Member All-Star
    Few Keith Law chat questions:

Better draft class than last year?
    Klaw (1:09 PM)
    Yes, more pitching depth for me well into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Keith, have you heard what names the Twins are on? I'd really like to see Gordon, we don't have anyone like him in our system.
    Klaw (1:11 PM)
    Gordon and Nola in particular with them.

Hoffman has to drop because of TJ but how far?
    Klaw (1:08 PM)
    Million dollar question - or maybe $2 million. I think teams with a second pick right after the first round would be in position to get creative and pay him over slot down there. Astros would be one such team, as would the Royals with three picks between 17 and 40 and a history of doing just that (Manaea last year). Sources have also pointed out Washington and Boston as teams that might be interested in overpaying him if he fell to them.

He also mentions in a separate question that Theo scouted Gordon in person last week.

Senior Member All-Star
    Second potential top 10 pick in Fedde goes down with TJ..... These college arms are dropping like flies.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Second potential top 10 pick in Fedde goes down with TJ..... These college arms are dropping like flies.
    Not necessarily a bad thing if they could get a guy like Gordon or Freeland for a bit under slot.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Insider story today, on safest picks in the draft. thoughts on Gordon.

Highest floor high-school bat: Nick Gordon, SS, Olympia HS (Orlando)

“[Gordon] can really pick it,” an NL Central scout said. “He makes the difficult look routine on a more consistent basis than any shortstop I’ve seen in this year’s class. You add in the fact that he’s got a chance to get on base and steal 20 bases, and it’s difficult see him not being a first-division shortstop for a very long time.”
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    The good news is that his defense is good enough to make the majors (high floor). The lesser news is that his 2 weakest tools are hit and hit for power. the hopeful news is that he has actually made some mechanical improvements this season instead of just beating up on significantly less talented pitchers.

Right now he's probably in my top 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    With the Hoffman and Fedde arm injuries it really makes the cubs/our pick interesting. Can we still get Gordon under slot? Heck, can we still get Gordon? Is he good enough to draft at 5 instead of an advanced college arm? Personallys I feel the answer to all the questions is yes.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Latest from Dan Kirby. Ran it by a Twins source who called it both "interesting and accurate". Ran it by another who called it "interesting and starting to get fun."

Teams start to get an idea of what guys are becoming the focus of other teams, but it's really impossible to trust anything right now.

I think both would be jacked to see Kolek fall. Gordon going "under slot" is becoming popular. Though Gordon getting top 5 money is looking for justified every day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Few Keith Law chat questions:

Better draft class than last year?
    Klaw (1:09 PM)
    Yes, more pitching depth for me well into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Keith, have you heard what names the Twins are on? I'd really like to see Gordon, we don't have anyone like him in our system.
    Klaw (1:11 PM)
    Gordon and Nola in particular with them.

Hoffman has to drop because of TJ but how far?
    Klaw (1:08 PM)
    Million dollar question - or maybe $2 million. I think teams with a second pick right after the first round would be in position to get creative and pay him over slot down there. Astros would be one such team, as would the Royals with three picks between 17 and 40 and a history of doing just that (Manaea last year). Sources have also pointed out Washington and Boston as teams that might be interested in overpaying him if he fell to them.

He also mentions in a separate question that Theo scouted Gordon in person last week.

I would not be upset if we took Hoffman at #5, lets just think about this for a second.

-He won't be available with our second pick, he just won't.

-He has more upside than anyone else, look back at the 2009 draft. Strasburg went 1-1 and needed TJ. In a re-draft, Trout goes 1-1 and Strasburg goes 1-2 (only other player drafted in the first round in the conversation is Wheeler)

-TJ seems like the rule, not the exception these days

-We could sign him for less than slot and save money with our other picks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Ma...Baseball_Draft

Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast