Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1287

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From Law:

White Sox in heavy on Nola today - I saw Kenny Williams Jr and I was told reinsdorf is here too.

Senior Member All-Star
    A note on the Law tweet, with how few top talents are left playing it shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Does Nola remind anyone of Radke? Control guy, several slightly above average pitches, even their wind up looks similar. Although not spectacular I would take another Radke at #5 to pair with Meyer!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That is a unique mock. Looking at the cover pic, Rodon should be the clear choice. Just think how good he could be after someone teaches him to pitch with his eyes open!

He's breathing through his eyelids, like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands.

5. These 5 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-23-2014), mike wants wins (05-23-2014), nicksaviking (05-23-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-23-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    SI's mock draft is a bit different than most - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...kin/?eref=sihp

Twins take Beede, Nola falls to #9, Gordon #10 and Gatewood goes #7 to Philly. But he does have Burdi going to Detroit.
    This would be a huge shock, Beeds has walked 4.5 guys per 9, to see the Twins take him over Gordon or Nola, I don't see this happening.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    This would be a huge shock, Beeds has walked 4.5 guys per 9, to see the Twins take him over Gordon or Nola, I don't see this happening.
    Yeah, me neither - unless he falls to #46

8. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Matt Garrioch of Minor League Ball has compiled his list of the 350 best draft prospects:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...-350-prospects

He often has pretty different opinions from other analysts.

Senior Member All-Star
    New mock draft from BA is up and there is a shake up in the top 5 picks. Twins end up taking kolek. Here is the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ock-draft-3-0/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I'd be happy with Kolek, that's for sure.

First time I've heard that Rodon might not be a starter. That's scary. Seems like a deep draft but no elite super high end talent.

12. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    i'd be happy with kolek, that's for sure.

First time i've heard that rodon might not be a starter. That's scary. Seems like a deep draft but no elite super high end talent.
    boing!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Few questions from Law's chat regarding teams in front of us:

What should the Cubs do in the draft if Aiken, Rodon, and Kolek go 1, 2, 3?

Klaw (2:10 PM)
    I could see them taking someone like Conforto and cutting a decent deal, going under slot but not wildly so, then going after pitching with their next few selections. They could do the same with Aaron Nola, just figuring they'd be getting a surefire big leaguer who gets there quick even without the ceiling, but I don't know if they'd get a huge discount with Nola so likely to go 2-7.

Can you see a scenario where one of Aiken, Kolek, or Rodon gets to the Cubs and they pass?)
    Klaw
    (2:27 PM)
    I could see them passing on Kolek but not the other two. Doesn't mean they will, just that they might. But I also have a hard time seeing Aiken or Rodon getting there.

I saw one mock with the White Sox choosing Alex Jackson, but you have mentioned they are all in on one of the three pitchers. Who do you see them leaning towards at this point? Thanks
    Klaw (2:18 PM)
    Pitchers. I think there's zero chance they take Jackson. Only hearing them really on Kolek and Nola right now

The White Sox taking Nola would be a mistake at 3, no?
    Klaw (2:31 PM)
    I don't think so. Kid probably has 70 fastball command right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    With answers from Law's chat and Manuel's mock they suggest there is a none-zero chance that Kolek could fall to the Twins at #5. A lot would have to break right so I won't get too excited. Also, here is a question in Law's chat about the Twins:

Any gut feeling on where the Twins will lean toward with their first pick?

Klaw (2:42 PM)
    Gordon or Nola.

Ton of more great draft questions in the chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-keith-law

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    New mock draft from BA is up and there is a shake up in the top 5 picks. Twins end up taking kolek. Here is the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ock-draft-3-0/
    That's a very interesting decision. The Twins haven't had a great track records with big pitchers. Certainly Hudson Boyd hasn't worked out so well. And adding a top notch shortstop prospect to this system would be pretty enticing, up until the point where Kolek becomes CC Sabathia.

17. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Klaw thinks that Beebe falls out of the first round. What are the chances he falls to 46 and if he does...do the Twins happily snap him up?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Klaw thinks that Beebe falls out of the first round. What are the chances he falls to 46 and if he does...do the Twins happily snap him up?
    Ryan Stanek, another big stuff no command pitcher, who was a potential top 5 pick last year fell to 29 last year but not out of the 1st round. I find it hard to believe that Beede would make it by all the teams with multiple picks before the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Make that a resounding "YES".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Beede's a junior and he already gambled on himself by not signing once. I'd bet there's a pretty strong chance he goes back to school next year if he's not drafted in the upper half of the first round.

Senior Member All-Star
    New mock draft by maybe the best in the bizz , Jim Callis. With the 5th pick he has the Twins taking..........Kolek. Here is his full mock:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    New mock draft by maybe the best in the bizz , Jim Callis. With the 5th pick he has the Twins taking..........Kolek. Here is his full mock:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    Well, Callis' mock draft, which I take pretty seriously because he has crazy good sources, it all kinds of interesting.

First, there is the persistent rumor that the Marlins could be dictated by management to go with Rodon. Almost every draft has them taking Jackson otherwise.

Second, there is his take on the White Sox, where if they don't get Rodon (and in his mock, they do), they might get none of the top picks, going for another college pitcher.

Finally, there are the Cubs. Callis has them sniping Gordon before he gets to the Twins, but he doesn't seem very sure of himself. He thinks they also might lean towards a college pitcher if Rodon is gone (which he almost sure is).

So Callis has Kolek falling to the Twins who take him partly because Jackson and Gordon are both gone. He suggests they might look at college pitchers if they don't want Kolek, but doesn't mention Nola, going with Freeland or Newcomb. And THEN he mentions a dark horse prep outfielder if they want to save money?

Holy cow. There are at least three new interesting things there:
    1. Twins could have to decide between Kolek, Jackson AND Gordon if the teams above them latch onto college pitchers.
    2. Nola, who has been rumored to be of interest to the Twins, might be passed by other college pitchers?
    3. The high school prep player, Monte Harrison, could be signed ala Ben Revere to save the Twins big money and get aggressive with their second pick?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    3. The high school prep player, Monte Harrison, could be signed ala Ben Revere to save the Twins big money and get aggressive with their second pick?
    Ugh, I wouldn't be a fan of that. 5th pick overall is too high for that IMO, stick with BPA.

Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast