Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1287

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Gardy loves Fien and he has been very good. Duesnsing though is as good as gone & pitching well.
    No, hang onto Duensing. He can be used in the Kershaw trade.

2. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Twerp (06-01-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    We just need a scenario where Aiken falls to us ...
    Aiken, of all the top pitchers, I think is the safest in terms of injury risk. Though we don't have a definitive list of things that can lead to future season ending injury. Heavy pitch count in college (Rodon), Pitching in the offseason for tryouts (Kolek), or even heavy use of a slider compared to other pitches like a curveball, have all been suggested as indicators of break down later on. Aiken has avoided all of those. IMO Whoever gets him will be getting the best high ceiling/ low risk pitcher in the top half of the draft... Hear's hoping it's not the Sox.

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BP Draft Chat:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...hp?chatId=1164

Jason (NY): Who has the best curveball and highest pure ceiling for a pitcher in the draft? I'd be inclined to go Touki for both. Pre-Draft Chat with Nick J. Faleris: I'll co-sign.

Me three.

Presently feeling...

Aiken > Koleck > Rodon > Jackson > Touki > Gordon > Newcomb > Nola

Ceiling wise, I'd probably have Touki the highest though.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    BP Draft Chat:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...hp?chatId=1164

Jason (NY): Who has the best curveball and highest pure ceiling for a pitcher in the draft? I'd be inclined to go Touki for both. Pre-Draft Chat with Nick J. Faleris: I'll co-sign.

Me three.

Presently feeling...

Aiken > Koleck > Rodon > Jackson > Touki > Gordon > Newcomb > Nola

Ceiling wise, I'd probably have Touki the highest though.
    I would have to go with Kolek as the highest ceiling, he has the potential to become a Nolan Ryan/Randy Johnson type, Touki just doesn't have that kind of ceiling

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Crawford released his final, possibly, board of the draft year. A surprise player made it into the top 3. Here is the link:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/06/t...oard-probably/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I would have to go with Kolek as the highest ceiling, he has the potential to become a Nolan Ryan/Randy Johnson type, Touki just doesn't have that kind of ceiling
    Interesting.

I have Koleck as #2...not far behind though.

A matter of preference perhaps?

Maybe this question will shed more light on it.

Who do you view as being the most dominant...

A. Randy Johnson
    B. Nolan Ryan
    C. Pedro Martinez
    D. Greg Maddux

Blog Entries
    Some fun fodder if you will.

Kohl Stewart, by many would be right behind Aiken as the #2 prospect if he were in this Draft.

I'll admit, I wanted Bryant (3B) who went to the Cubs...my favorite pick, then Gray.

And just for some fun, a look at Kohl Stewart, the #4 overall pick, a HS pitcher, and Mark Appel, the #1 overall pick, 4 yr college starter at Stanford.

Attachment 7632
    I know stats aren't everything and it's not saying anything going forward. Just what it is for what it is now.

Interesting.

I have Koleck as #2...not far behind though.

A matter of preference perhaps?

Maybe this question will shed more light on it.

Who do you view as being the most dominant...

A. Randy Johnson
    B. Nolan Ryan
    C. Pedro Martinez
    D. Greg Maddux

Easy, It's a tie between Ryan and Johnson because Johnson hit a bird with a pitch and Ryan hit Robin Ventura with his fist........

10. This user likes twinsfanstreif's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (06-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Draft week is upon us!!!
    Till I Collapse

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    Easy, It's a tie between Ryan and Johnson because Johnson hit a bird with a pitch and Ryan hit Robin Ventura with his fist........
    You're either a lawyer or Jon Stewart

E. Tim Keefe in 1880, although he only pitched 105 innings, so I'll go with the #2 guy there. One Pedro Martinez.

Pedro's opponent batting line is just sick: .167/.213/.259; and of course, a MLB record 0.74 WHIP.

Single Season ERA+ Leaders:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...s_season.shtml

I will say if I was a right handed hitter, Nolan Ryan would be my most feared. If a left handed hitter, Randy Johnson.

But I'd probably be most frustrated against Pedro Martinez. With Randy I'd have a career .281 OBP. Nolan, a .293 OBP....Pedro? .260.

And with Nolan and Randy I'd have a 15% and 11% chance of obtaining a free pass without taking the bat off my shoulder. With Pedro? I'd only have an 8% chance of getting a BB.

13. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Draft week is upon us!!!
    Exciting!

Before things get too crazy this week, I want to thank everyone for contributing to an awesome thread. It has been a great ride, with lots of smart, intense, yet civil discussion about all the top draft prospects. I feel like I've learned a lot, and this thread has always been my go-to place to find the latest draft updates.

My board right now.

Aiken > Rodon > Gordon > Jackson > Kolek > Nola > Touki > Holmes

I would be happy with anyone on this list.

15. These 2 users like markos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

maxisagod (06-02-2014), Willihammer (06-02-2014)

You're either a lawyer or Jon Stewart

E. Tim Keefe in 1880, although he only pitched 105 innings, so I'll go with the #2 guy there. One Pedro Martinez.

Pedro's opponent batting line is just sick: .167/.213/.259; and of course, a MLB record 0.74 WHIP.

Single Season ERA+ Leaders:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...s_season.shtml

I will say if I was a right handed hitter, Nolan Ryan would be my most feared. If a left handed hitter, Randy Johnson.

But I'd probably be most frustrated against Pedro Martinez. With Randy I'd have a career .281 OBP. Nolan, a .293 OBP....Pedro? .260.

And with Nolan and Randy I'd have a 15% and 11% chance of obtaining a free pass without taking the bat off my shoulder. With Pedro? I'd only have an 8% chance of getting a BB.
    Pedro pitched for 18 years, Johnson and Ryan pitched for 24 and 27 years respectively. Although great, Pedro had less dominate years. Ryan also had 7 no hitters, that's crazy. In their prime there's really no way to compare but back to your original claim, I don't see any of these guys in Touki. In fact you could make the claim that Maddux makes Nola look better, Maddux never really had dominate "stuff" but he was still un hittable, Nola at least for the time being seems to be that guy too

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Here's a question: would you trade Fien or Duensing for the 39th draft pick like the Pirates did? In a draft like this, there are a few extra name I would like to add to the Twins system.
    This is a fun question. What exactly would people here give up for the 39th pick?

The Marlins are getting ripped for giving it up for a (below) average reliever, but odds are that 39th pick would be lucky to become a (below) average reliever.

Personally I'd give up most of the Twins relief corp for the 39th pick, but I might have to think long and hard about whether it's because I truely think the pick will turn out to be a good player or simply because getting extra draft picks is awesomely fun.

18. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (06-03-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I would give up every relief pitcher other than the proven closer for the 39th pick. RP can be replaced, the 39th pick has potential to be good. Heck, I'd give up two or three of them for the 39th pick. I can't believe that is all the Marlins got, frankly.
    Lighten up Francis....

20. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I would give up every relief pitcher other than the proven closer for the 39th pick. RP can be replaced, the 39th pick has potential to be good. Heck, I'd give up two or three of them for the 39th pick. I can't believe that is all the Marlins got, frankly.
    I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Look at the AAA pen, not to mention Pino and Johsnon who could be moved:

Pressly 2.90 ERA
    Achter 1.78 ERA
    Thompson 2.82 ERA
    Hoffman 2.70 ERA
    Guerra 2.95 ERA
    Tonkin 2.25 ERA

Senior Member MVP
    Ya, I just don't get that trade at all....I know this isn't the NFL, but still, pick 39 has real value.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm working on my personal top 50 draft board and plan to release it before Thursday. For those of you who plan to follow day 1/day 2 it is a fun exercise. The draft day threads last year on Twins Daily were great.

Senior Member All-Star

Senior Member MVP
    an alternative is to stockpile money? to what end? NUMEROUS teams have 2-4 picks in front of the Twins. I just don't see that as a real option. If they do it, well, they won't, so I won't even think about it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    So Twins have both Jackson and Gordon available and choose Gordon, per Callis. I would be a little surprised by this. It seems like they were high on Jackson before Gordon.

Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast