Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery teams in on Drew

Mystery teams in on Drew

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...phen-drew.html

Red Sox, Mets and two mystery teams. Are we a mystery team?

We have the money, the position need and it only costs us a second round pick.

He is a Scott Boras client, so who knows if the mystery teams are real or just some kind of negotiating ploy. That said, if the money is right I wouldn't mind seeing him on a short term deal.

3. This user likes LewFordLives's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (02-19-2014)

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppearson50 View Post
    More of a misery team. As opposed to the Royals - who are more of a Missouri team.

5. These 6 users like Teflon's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-18-2014), B Richard (02-18-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (02-18-2014), Riverbrian (02-18-2014), twinsfan34 (02-19-2014), Willihammer (02-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Don't get the Drew love - he isn't going to make the Twins that much better that I would give up the pick.

7. These 3 users like Monkeypaws's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-20-2014), johnnydakota (02-18-2014), twinsfan34 (02-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Don't get the Drew love - he isn't going to make the Twins that much better that I would give up the pick.
    Have you seen our SS depth chart lately.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

9. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (02-19-2014)

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I'm with you. I've never been a fan of Drew and Florimon just doesn't scare me enough to make a desperation signing.

CF would be my biggest concern as it stands right now.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Unless the Twins sign Drew for 3 or 4 years I don't think it would be worth loosing a 2nd round pick. Lets all face it, the next time we will be even close to contending is 2015. If we sign Drew to a 1 or 2 year deal, his talent and our money/pick will be wasted with him stuck on bad teams. Wouldn't be again signing Drew, but for no less than 3 years (and I feel that is unrealistic)

12. These 2 users like Trautmann13's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-18-2014), twinsfan34 (02-19-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Sounds like the Yankees were in; and maybe the Hanshin Tigers are looking for a utility guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm with you. I've never been a fan of Drew and Florimon just doesn't scare me enough to make a desperation signing.

CF would be my biggest concern as it stands right now.
    You do realize that we have a permanent (knock on wood) fix for CF that should be ready in the next 6-12 months, right? We don't have ANYONE right now in the system who looks to be a sure thing as anything more then a stop gap SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Trautmann13 View Post
    Unless the Twins sign Drew for 3 or 4 years I don't think it would be worth loosing a 2nd round pick. Lets all face it, the next time we will be even close to contending is 2015. If we sign Drew to a 1 or 2 year deal, his talent and our money/pick will be wasted with him stuck on bad teams. Wouldn't be again signing Drew, but for no less than 3 years (and I feel that is unrealistic)
    If you signed him to a 1-2 year deal, you would likely get another 2nd round pick (or 50% chance at a 1st round pick) back at the end of that contract.

The Twins have the best farm system in baseball, and the worst major league product (sans Marlins, Cubs and Astros) in baseball. At some point you can sacrifice a single 2nd round pick in order to greatly improve your major league talent/roster. The Twins window is going to open very quickly with the arrival of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Rosario, etc etc over the next couple years, get players that can help now and in the near future instead of 2nd round guy who likely will never make the majors, or won't make it for several years.

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    You do realize that we have a permanent (knock on wood) fix for CF that should be ready in the next 6-12 months, right? We don't have ANYONE right now in the system who looks to be a sure thing as anything more then a stop gap SS.
    I do... I have SS sticker shock. 14 million doesn't buy much at the 6 position.

Until the Twins can draft and develop a Tulowitzki (maybe by 2022). I'm fine with a glove guy and spending 14 million on someone who can actually rake at another position.

At CF... Eventually we will be flush with em... Right now... Unless Hicks breaks camp with and runs with it. We are extremely dry come April.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 02-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I agree with the first part, the problem I have is, How is Drew anymore than a short term fix? While you might be right about the farm system, you might be wrong too. In any case Drew isn't all that much of a sure thing either. He also isn't very likely to actually stick at shortstop for more than a year or 2. So in 2 years you are back to looking for a shortstop. If you are looking for a long term fix at short, Drew isn't it. Florimon isn't likely a long term answer either, but at least he isn't blocking any such solution, which a couple of years of Drew at $10 plus mil per year, would.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    More of a misery team. As opposed to the Royals - who are more of a Missouri team.
    Misery, Missouri ... they don't call it the "Why Me" state for nothing.

19. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (02-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I do... I have SS sticker shock. 14 million doesn't buy much at the 6 position.

Until the Twins can draft and develop a Tulowitzki (maybe by 2022). I'm fine with a glove guy and spending 14 million on someone who can actually rake at another position.

At CF... Eventually we will be flush with em... Right now... Unless Hicks breaks camp with and runs with it. We are extremely dry come April.
    I wouldn't give him 14 mil a year, I would give him 2/22 or 3/30 in a heartbeat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    . He also isn't very likely to actually stick at shortstop for more than a year or 2.
    But that isn't true..

22. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-18-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I waffle back and forth on Drew. No question he's an upgrade, and I agree with others in that the need for him will be greater in a few years. Perhaps they try hard for a JJ Hardy reunion next season... who knows. But yeah, there's not much in the minors. Santana might have the glove and a better OPS than florimon, but you have to go further down to Polanco (and he's no sure thing to stick by any means) before you see potential...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In answer to the question at hand, I am going on a limb here and saying "no", the Twins are not the mystery team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ppearson50 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...phen-drew.html

We have the money, the position need and it only costs us a second round pick.
    Not worth a 2nd round pick and the $14M+ per year. I would rather have Nelson Cruz if they were to give up the pick and the money.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    He also isn't very likely to actually stick at shortstop for more than a year or 2.
    Neither is Florimon. In fact, I'd wager a good sum of money Drew is an every day major league shortstop longer than Florimon.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

27. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-19-2014), savvyspy (02-19-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-18-2014)

Florimon could regress even further at the plate. Great glove but going 4 years 40 million on Drew maybe a risk worth taking. Goodrum is years away and Santana is inconsistent. Even if they develop a SS may be 2016 when they ready. Could trade Drew away if needed or be utility guy (expensive) but where else will the money be spent next couple of years.

29. These 2 users like That Guy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (02-18-2014), USAFChief (02-18-2014)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast