Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: 2014 Draft Board v.1.0

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2014 Draft Board v.1.0

2. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-22-2014)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Wow! Great job.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    I think the best scenario goes something like this - Astros - Rodon, Marlins - to save money take someone like Toussant. White Sox take Hoffman. Cubs take Beede and lets the Twins grab Kolek.

I don't think this draft will produce 4 #1 college pitchers and no college bat is exciting enough to take that early. So the Twins best case is getting the top HS arm (again). But the HS season will certainly change some perceptions.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My thinking right now is that I want shortstop Trae Turner to be the best player available at #5. We have a real dearth of middle infielders in the system right now, and he has the potential to be a real shot in the arm for the system. I'm also skeptical of taking the third- or fourth-best college arm, although maybe that's illogical.

This far out, I'm definitely still thinking more about who I want to be the logical pick for us rather than who will be the logical pick for us. It feels too early for me to wrap my head around these players' actual abilities.
    Last edited by Wookiee of the Year; 02-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.

How much farther down this list is Schwarberg from Indiana?

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Great great write-up.

When I think college SS, I think Nomar Garciaparra. It can happen.

Schwarber I believe would be a ways down. Everything I've read is that he probably moves to 1B or the OF or even DH. His value is definitely in the bat... That being said I think a name you're gonna see sneak up draft boards is Brady Aiken, HS lefty out of California. Very similar to Max Fried from 2012 but Aiken looks to be a little bit more physically mature than Fried was at the same stage.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Schwarber is lower than Pentecost, who's not currently in the mix.

Both Aiken and Toussaint could make moves.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that up until this week we still had a foot of snow on the ground here in Indy, I'm still trying to wrap my head around baseball starting.

That said, I have to think at 5 the Twins will want highest upside. I'd look at Gatewood or Kolek personally unless by some miracle Hoffman or Rodon fall. Got to say that Turner doesn't excite me unless he suddenly shows the ability to hit for some power.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would also take Kolek, unless something changes this spring, seems to me to be at worst a closer.

The Levi Michael comparison will probably keep coming up as long as there is speculation about the Twins drafting Turner. I think it's worth noting that Michael was something like the 30th pick in his draft. If Turner has a reasonable case as BPA at the 5th pick in 2014 (and if he doesn't, I can't see the Twins reaching down for him with that high a pick), then he's in a different class than Michael and can be considered a surer thing.

Liked 104 Times in 79 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whosafraidofluigirussolo View Post
    The Levi Michael comparison will probably keep coming up as long as there is speculation about the Twins drafting Turner. I think it's worth noting that Michael was something like the 30th pick in his draft. If Turner has a reasonable case as BPA at the 5th pick in 2014 (and if he doesn't, I can't see the Twins reaching down for him with that high a pick), then he's in a different class than Michael and can be considered a surer thing.
    I think the Turner/Michael comps will come. Here are their college stats. The glaring difference is speed. Turner is an 80 speed guy. His freshman SB total is probably a better reflection given he had an ankle issue last year. He is 5-5 in SB attempts this year in just 4 games.

Regardig his defense, I read Turner should stay at SS, has the footwork, range, and arm.

Trae Turner

Freshman - .338 average, 5 HR, .891 OPS, 57 SB
    Sophomore - .368 average, 7 HR, 1.008 OPS, 30 SB

Levi Michael

Freshman - .290 avg, 13 HR, .909 OPS, 5 SB
    Sophomore - .346 avg, 9 HR, 1.059 OPS, 20 SB
    Junior - .305 avg, 4 HR, .911 OPS, 14 SB

I would be very happy with Turner or one of the flamethrowing guys like Kolek or Hoffman.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I am hoping the BPA is a pitcher at #5 and I also hope they take a pitcher with the #2 pick. I think we have enough position players coming up that we should be OK there with the exception of shortstop. I think we can handle one area on the field that is built more around defense than offense there. Better to focus on pitching and if they all turn out and you have excess excellent pitching then trade a pitcher for a shortstop. I really think they should keep pounding the pitching in the draft as we never compete to buy great pitchers in the FA market. We need to have as many guys who can be potential aces as possible as they fail at such a high rate. We need excellent pitching to compete in our division and beyond. Please oh, please, please find a good pitcher at #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    If Turner is in the discussion as one of the 10 best players, that is a very different conversation than was occurring with Michael. It's just not a realistic comparison, imo. I'd be happy for him to be great this year. It means they either get him, or a pitcher falls because someone else took him. Win. Win.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would you be gun-shy about making the same mistake that was made when Levi Michael was drafted? Would you trust that same signing scout? Interesting questions to consider, obviously, and while I think they are two completely different players, the microscope will be fixed closer on Trae Turner.
    I wouldn't worry at all about the scout. I woudln't have any thoughts about Michael with this pick. It's very silly to do so. However, the scouting reports, as I read them, for Michael reminded me of Nick Punto. At #30, that's not so bad... At #5 overall, that is not the scouting report I would want to read. I'm with those who say Kolek is the direction... At least that type of player where there is a ton of upside!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If Turner is in the discussion as one of the 10 best players, that is a very different conversation than was occurring with Michael. It's just not a realistic comparison, imo. I'd be happy for him to be great this year. It means they either get him, or a pitcher falls because someone else took him. Win. Win.
    Agreed on the comp, Turner looks much more promising.

I'm hoping Jackson,Turner, or Kolek either one I would be happy with. When I think college SS I think tulo, but their alway the grant green of the world to worry about.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm interested in both Jackson & Turner.

If Jackson can stick at catcher with a plus bat, he'd be a nice fit for the system and with Pinto looking like a MLB-quality player the team could give him time to really learn the position and develop his bat. Love to know more about him and whether or not people think he's the real deal.

Turner doesn't look like a Levi Michael type to me and SS is a position where you can never have too many prospects. I like the speed and if the bat is legit he could do really well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Great info, I've been looking forward to this.

Luke Weaver is definitely the most surprising name on the list, but was ranked 5th by Big League Futures back in September, so he hasn't gone completely without notice. He reportedly hit 97 over the summer (I don't remember where that was reported but it was reputable), though most reports have had him as a low 90s fastball guy. If that bumps into the mid 90s with plus command I can see him being ranked that high.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    I'm interested in both Jackson & Turner.

If Jackson can stick at catcher with a plus bat, he'd be a nice fit for the system and with Pinto looking like a MLB-quality player the team could give him time to really learn the position and develop his bat..
    I think it was Keith Law that said Jackson wants to move out from catcher.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast