Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Franklin/Brad Miller?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nick Franklin/Brad Miller?

Mlbtraderumors.com says that Seattle might move one of their young middle infielders before Opening Day. They listed and compared Franklin and Miller. This is the kind of player I think the Twins should be looking for. Thoughts?

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree completely. It saddens me that they didn't like the $$ for Arruebarruena, won't like the $$ for Diaz- I know I do not know the scouts evaluations of either, but SS is such a long term need. I know with the draft pick loss Drew ain't happening. I would rather have a power arm taken in the upcoming draft than a hope that Trae Turner falls to 5 AND works out. This means they need to trade for one at some point. I'd argue time is nonw.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    dang- sent early. They question I have is what would the Mariners want in return? The boards indicate OF is a need. Unfortunately Hicks 2013 negates much trade value. What about pitching plouffe (corner OF) with a B prospect pitcher?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seattle will want way more than the Twins are willing to pay for either, and I do not consider either to be a huge upgrade. I am talking probably one or more of the Twins 3 to 10 prospects.

Mets fan here, A lot of talk around town the Mets are interested in Franklin if the price is not to high. Personally we need a SS bad and do not want to pay for Drew so I would like to see them go after Franklin as he is young and still has a lot of good upside.

The report I saw said that although both came through the minors as SS, the Mariners doubt whether Franklin stays there. A quick look at the stats seems to indicate that Miller was below average defensively at SS in his first season, but not really woeful, so maybe that can develop over time. Franklin played very little SS with Miller on the roster, which may or may not be telling.

If Miller is that much better a bet to stay at SS, he's the only one I'd want the Twins to target. I'm fine rolling with the 2B depth they have.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Franklin is a SS like Dozier was a gold glove SS......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've liked Brad Miller for a while. Would love to see the Twins swing something for him. He's not a Florimon-type defender, but he's not Plouffe-like at SS either. Think of him like Bartlett was in his prior Twins days. But I do think he can hit, much better than Florimon would anyway.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    I would be happy if they dealt for Miller, meant to type that above....
    Lighten up Francis....

I think Miller would be great. Why would the Mariners trade him if they don't see Franklin as a viable SS option? My guess is they wouldn't, and I have little interest in Franklin as a SS project at this point.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Neither player would give us a large enough upgrade to be worth what the Ms are asking. If they trade Miller, I doubt they go with Franklin at SS, more likely they think they can get Drew.

Senior Member All-Star
    How do you know what they are asking? Fangraphs has Miller around 3 WAR for the next few years....why would you not trade a legit other player for that? Where are you going to find a top half of the league SS?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    How do you know what they are asking? Fangraphs has Miller around 3 WAR for the next few years....why would you not trade a legit other player for that? Where are you going to find a top half of the league SS?
    The question is who would you trade though. The Twins don't have much for veterans even if the M's wanted them. The M's need some power but I doubt they'd be interested in Willingham and Plouffe has no value. So you have to go the youngster/prospect route. Hicks stock is down so they'll likely want more than that. Would you give up Arcia? I wouldn't. The M's have catchers and DH's, they wouldn't care for Pinto.

The M's just loaded up in free agency so I doubt they want guys who are too far away. That doesn't leave much in the Twins system. I wouldn't give up Meyer, in fact I'd be upset if Ryan didn't hang up the phone upon that request. Would the M's take Hicks and May? Maybe, who knows. I'm not sure I like either middle infielder even that much though.

14. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-21-2014)

Over at baseball reference, Florimon actually had the higher WAR. Go figure.

I just don't see either as a significant upgrade. We'd have to give up someone like Hicks (if his value didn't suck now). Who would you be willing to give up?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Franklin is not a serviceable SS and I don't see any reason why they would trade Miller just to sign Drew or another SS. If we were to trade for Franklin, he would have to play second base, which means either Dozier moves positions or is traded and means that we have given up on Rosario at 2nd.

More, I don't think the Twins should settle for anything less than a first-class defender at SS.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    More, I don't think the Twins should settle for anything less than a first-class defender at SS.
    How about Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings from the D-Backs. Apparently both are pretty well thought of and only one guy at a time can play SS. Again, rather than signing a 30+ Free Agent, I think the Twins need to go this route to get more talent at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    How about Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings from the D-Backs. Apparently both are pretty well thought of and only one guy at a time can play SS. Again, rather than signing a 30+ Free Agent, I think the Twins need to go this route to get more talent at SS.
    I think those are great targets. Let's hope Willingham explodes this year, and the Dbacks are hungry for some RHed pop at the deadline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Over at baseball reference, Florimon actually had the higher WAR. Go figure.

I just don't see either as a significant upgrade. We'd have to give up someone like Hicks (if his value didn't suck now). Who would you be willing to give up?
    Higher WAR in the future....not the past.
    Lighten up Francis....

Higher WAR in the future....not the past.
    Maybe, maybe not. Miller doesn't have much of track record yet. And if his defense isn't elite, I don't understand why we'd bother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast