Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sano's Over/Under For Being Sent to Minor League Camp

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sano's Over/Under For Being Sent to Minor League Camp

I was just commenting in a blog about how early top prospects are send down to the minors. Last year, Gibson was optioned to AAA on 3/14, ending any speculation that he might make the Opening Day roster very early. In some ways, it's a pretty efficient way to handle things: they get some time to hang out with major leaguers, still spend most of their time in minor league camp, and it keeps down the swirl surrounding whether or not they make the Opening Day roster.

I'm wondering if this year's example will be Sano. Thus, this thread on when the Twins will send him down, so we can all be prepared. I'll put the over/under at 3/13. Which side do you take?

(P.S. Hicks might be another example.)
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-23-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Fix subject line

I'll take the under (before).
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson's presence wasn't going to translate to ticket sales but Sano is definitely a draw to Spring Training. ($$) I take the over.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    A big factor is if there on the 40 man and they get injured, which is costly. Since Sano isn't on the 40 man I think Gardy will keep him around longer to get a longer look at him. I say guys like May, Vargas, and Kepler get sent down before Sano.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll take over. I think he goes down exactly one week before opening day.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Gonna say over as well. I think they want to get as good at him as possible. Plus they want him comfortable around the clubhouse because I seriously see him with the club after the Futures Game.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this story begs the question "What exactly is minor league bamp?"

8. These 4 users like AM.'s post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (02-23-2014), johnnydakota (02-22-2014), scottz (02-22-2014), Trautmann13 (02-22-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    A big factor is if there on the 40 man and they get injured, which is costly. Since Sano isn't on the 40 man I think Gardy will keep him around longer to get a longer look at him. I say guys like May, Vargas, and Kepler get sent down before Sano.
    I 100% agree with this, although they may keep May around a little longer. Darnell, Santana, those guys will get sent to minor league camp fairly early because their on the 40 man roster.

I think Buxton, Meyer and Sano will stick around a little bit longer since they're not on the 40 man roster. That's to say 3/20 instead of maybe 3/13.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I'd go with over also, but it's also going to depend on Spring results. I don't know that the decision to send Gibson to the minor league bamp was the original plan. If I remember correctly, he started off with a couple of good outings followed by two poor ones. At that point he was sent.

Like Hicks, I'd bet if Sano is crushing it, he sticks around, and while we're all pretty sure he won't make the team, if Gardy wants him (or more accurately doesn't want Plouffe) Sano might stick around for the extended look even if Ryan won't bring him north out of the gate under any circumstances.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    The last day #hope

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Over. Keeping Sano around longer accomplishes multiple things: everybody gets to know him better (since he will become a fixture), allow Sano to be more comfortable with "being at the top", and turn the screws on some (I'm looking at you Plouffe) veterans who haven't yet fully established themselves with the Twins.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My last day in Florida this ST is 3/19 and I will guess that Sano will be with the team then, if everything goes ok. If he starts to hit a HR or two in every game he plays (and he can do that) it will be hard to send him down.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I go with the over for Sano. And for Hicks, if he gets sent down, he's the last one.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Over, he's a curiosity that will put butts in the seats and he's not on the 40 man.

Sano don't matter. He will float betwen camps as the Twins see fit.

Will be more interesting to see what happens to the optionless guys: Parmelee, Deduno, Diamond, Worley who all have to pretty much stick around until the last day to see if they can get thru waivers. And, remember, the guys would have to go 25-man, not 40-man.

Players are cut early on the 40-man, otherwise get paid big league money. I think Wood did this last year. Machedo did it a few years back. Both are considered rostered Twins, but never played a major league game with the team (can you name any others who did this?) Yes, Fetters came close.

Usually the minor league guys play if it is split squad or a road show. ALL players need at bats and fielding time, hopefully with whomever will be their teammates.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

In spring training games, the Twins sell fairly well to begin with, so Sano won't necessarily put more butts in the seats. If he plays on the road, some people might make that trip to Red Sox land.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Over.

As long as the elbow is indeed 100% and ready. And as long as he shows even a little at the plate. Considering his potential and the plans for him, including hopes of being ready at some point this season, they want to look long and hard at him, introduce him as much as they can to MLB, and MLB to him.

I feel if he struggles or presses, then they might make the move sooner to get him in a proper groove and keep his confidence high and his approach sound.

The mentioned Gibson reference is interesting, but last season he was still in recovery mode, so to speak, and I think the plan from day one was to start the year in the minors regardless.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Follow up question: Does Buxton get treated the same? Or younger and only high A under his belt, is he on a different or similar schedule?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Over for 100. Alex.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's not on the 40 man... Unless he's absolutely terrible, he's going to stay long.... Taking the over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast