Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins offered Garza 3 year deal

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Pelfrey has no upside beyond a quality #4. He's thrown 1000 innings and never posted a K/9 >6 nor is he good at not walking guys. And if he's your #4 on a playoff team then there is a big temptation to skip him in the playoffs and run your starters out there on short rest.
    Which is okay for this franchise at this point. A quality #4 is still a huge step up from what we've had the pleasure of watching the past few years.

But at some point, the Twins need to stop signing the Pelfreys of the world and go after legitimate talent (which they also did this offseason). I hope that we've seen the last of the Correia/Pelfrey type signings for a few years.

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-26-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    At some point, they have to run Worley, Meyer, and Gibson out there, to see what they have.....this would have been a good year to do that, not to sign Pelfrey, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I'm not sure Pelfrey is on this club in 2015 anyway. Meyer, Gibson and May are all going to be given a chance sometime between now and 2015. I'd guess both Correia and Pelfrey are trade bait come July and Pelfrey would be a trade candidate next off season regardless.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Which is okay for this franchise at this point. A quality #4 is still a huge step up from what we've had the pleasure of watching the past few years.

But at some point, the Twins need to stop signing the Pelfreys of the world and go after legitimate talent (which they also did this offseason). I hope that we've seen the last of the Correia/Pelfrey type signings for a few years.
    There is nothing wrong with the Pelfrey's or the Corriea's. The point was that he doesn't have upside and he's just another of the not going to get the team killed #4/5 starter type. Every team has them but he should never be part of a playoff caliber rotation.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the Pelfrey's or the Corriea's. The point was that he doesn't have upside and he's just another of the not going to get the team killed #4/5 starter type. Every team has them but he should never be part of a playoff caliber rotation.
    Agreed, my point was that I hope the Twins can fill those 4/5 spots with internal solutions going forward, leaving money open to go pick up truly good players instead of just filler.

7. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-26-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Agreed, my point was that I hope the Twins can fill those 4/5 spots with internal solutions going forward, leaving money open to go pick up truly good players instead of just filler.
    Right and we may end up not liking the length of the Pelfrey contract more than the amount. Much like Correia. I'd prefer, if we're going to watch bad baseball, to at least see it invested in youth/upside. Two of our signings did a nice job of that. One last year and one this year did not.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see that Garza in his first 3 ST starts for the Brewers has a 19.06 ERA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123