Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good Lord. Just watched the last episode.

One of the finest seasons of television I've ever had the privilege to witness.

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (03-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The opening song is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zluA60hjs

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The opening song is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zluA60hjs
    Just from listening, and not having seen one instant of the show, I'm guessing Tarantino would be a fan.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Just finished the series. It was certainly entertaining and tense, but IMO it doesn't come close to Breaking Bad.

I'm kinda sick of the whole (a la "The Wire"):

"Boss, just give us one more week. We're thiiis close to nailing this sucker."

"Listen, you're a good cop. But you let your heart get in the way. If you don't let this be, I'm gonna make you turn in your badge."

"Grrrrrrrr"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    I mean it was great, and I'm sure there was a ton of stuff I missed. I may even rewatch it again soon...but to those claiming it's so much more intense and superior to Breaking Bad...well, I strongly disagree.

Woody must've had a deal in his contract where he's able to have a nude scene with at least 3 very attractive ladies. He knows what he's doing.
    Last edited by Fatt Crapps; 04-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.

It was definitely an ambitious show. The sets, the art direction, the cinematography, etc, were all top notch. Acting was terrific as well. The dialogue, while not always the most consistent, was phenomenal at times and miles ahead of most TV dramas. I think the plot had a few misfires in the end, but it was still gripping. I'd put it a bit below Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos, but it would be right up there. Definitely one of the better programs I've ever seen. Can't wait to see what names get attached to future seasons.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I just finished up this season...I have to say that the first four episodes were, without question, the best TV I've watched in a long time.

But the last four? They lost some steam, took it down a peg for me overall. Brilliant acting and very engaging mystery, but ultimately I think the conclusion left me a bit sour.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I only felt that way for about two episodes, maybe five and six. I thought episodes 1-4 were possibly the best television I've ever seen while 7-8 were very, very good.

I quite enjoyed the ending and how it ramped up to the conclusion. I have no idea how they're going to match this season next time around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I liked the show but I didn't quite love it as much as others. Good acting though.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I liked the show but I didn't quite love it as much as others. Good acting though.
    The acting was brilliant and the dialogue with Marty and Rust was phenomenal throughout the series.

I think what puts this show a notch below Breaking Bad was the climax of the story felt out of tune with the rest. For 4 episodes (you could argue 5 or 6 probably) we got a gritty look at the nature of this mystery and every week was a chance to fall a bit deeper down the rabbit hole. Then, all of a sudden, a Law and Order episode broke out and we got Evil Groundskeeper Willy complete with a lot of token "crazy" elements as our big villan all figured out (rather conveniently and implausibly) in one hour. Then, worst of all, we had a neat and tidy wrap-up to it without really finding out all the different connections the case had so interestingly brought up through the course of the investigation.

I was left wanting either a less pretty ending or, if it was going to be pretty, a clearer and more laid out one. We got closure on the relationship of the detectives, but not on the larger case much of that relationship was built around for the season.

I'm being very critical, it's still an absolutely fantastic show that I'd highly recommend, but I lost some of my passion for it as it went on. The first four episodes were freaking awesome...it might just have been setting the bar so high it never was going to be able to live up to the expectations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    we had a neat and tidy wrap-up to it without really finding out all the different connections the case had so interestingly brought up through the course of the investigation.
    I assume season 2 will get into that stuff, eventually working its way up to the Governor.

Lot of pipe laid in season 1.

I assume season 2 will get into that stuff, eventually working its way up to the Governor.

Lot of pipe laid in season 1.
    My thought was that the next season would be a completely new case with completely new characters?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    My thought was that the next season would be a completely new case with completely new characters?
    Yep. As far as I know, all new characters and story.

Blog Entries
    What seriously? Wow what a tease

What seriously? Wow what a tease
    Yeah, hence my frustration with the ending.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I understand now.

Wow. Who does that? Meaningless foreshadowing?

Sad thing is I will probably watch season 2 and be disappointed all over again.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Two things:

1) It's incredibly difficult to write a continuously interesting and cutting edge serial (episodic) dramatic narrative with only two freaking characters. In it's best form the show probably should only have been six episodes; I'm sure HBO execs were fighting against a series that had only eight episodes.

2) I thought the ending was fantastic, given that there were so many train-wreck options. A) A less pretty ending without catching the lawnmower guy (who was uniquely and profoundly well rendered in the last episode), would have been totally off-putting in predictable. Say, an ending with Marty and Rust both dying would have been pretty unsatisfying, though more realistic perhaps. B) There's no revealing of the occult that could have been satisfying. I'm glad that they didn't attempt to explain what was really happening.

More than this, all good narrative is about characters, and both Marty and Rust go through real evolutions of character. The scenes in the hospital, especially in the parking lot have such resonance. Marty realizing how much he misses his family and what a horrible **** he's been. And Rust realizing that the experience of human life isn't some perverted evolutionary accident.

I think the show will continue to deal with the occult, and we will learn about the operation of secret society and their belief system; though we'll shift characters and regions. Though we wont see Rust and Marty, we might see the Tuttles again though probably not next season.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-08-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    More than this, all good narrative is about characters, and both Marty and Rust go through real evolutions of character.
    Of course, but the plot those characters are a part of matters too. A good example would be the Matrix: great characters and the first movie had an outstanding plot. Movies 2 and 3 had the same fascinating characters but the plot was garbage.

So, in my view, a narrative that fails to be as strong with it's story as it is with it's characters is a flaw. Breaking Bad didn't have this kind of problem in my opinion.

Your belief that we'll continue to see these threads evolve is an assumption that you're using to fill gaps the ending left out. With confirmation there will be no Marty and Rust next year (and with the rumors that the next season will be unrelated), I think that's an unfair way to judge the show. The ending, as constituted and likely concluded, left a lot of the plot that was addressed in the show hanging at the end. Even the final conversation indicated a "we only caught this one guy and ultimately failed at the larger picture" type of conversation between the two detectives. Which is fine, it wrapped up the murder they initially investigated, but it makes large chunks of the season and the motivations the characters had utterly irrelevant if the Tuttle situation just dies with season 1.

To me, this was too cute and happy an ending with so much unresolved. It felt rushed and a bit too Deus ex Machina-y to me.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 05-08-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    In fiction (and Pizzalotto emerges from that realm), the plot must serve the characters; so the plot does matter, but only in so much as it reveals about the people involved in the narrative. The characters in the first Matrix sucked too, but the plot was so bold that it hardly mattered that the characters were tokenistic ("Neo" for godsakes). The sequels failed because they lacked both a story a tell and credible characters (I couldn't even watch them). As great as Marty and Rust were, having them for a second season may have tuned in viewers, but wouldn't have been good for the show, as they already had their denouement; the narrative covered 20 years of their lives.

I didn't see a realistic way to resolve the Tuttle situation without having even more Law and Order type episodes. In my opinion, had it resolved much more than it did, it would have been far too cute and neat, and lose it's sense of authenticity.

I don't see the Deus ex Machina at all, really/

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, Pseudo. The Matrix isn't a good comp because that was almost entirely plot-driven. The characters were unremarkable.

In my opinion, a better comp to True Detective is a movie I loved from the 2000s, Children of Men. Strong, interesting characters navigating a plot that isn't fully explained to the audience. Nor did it need to be explained, in my opinion. I view True Detective as a piece that took us through a journey of character exploration, not the resolution of a murder mystery. The murder mystery added intrigue to the piece but it wasn't the point of the series and I'm okay with brushing over a few details in favor of focusing on the relationship between the characters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast