Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Barrie, Australia

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jack Barrie, Australia

It appears the Twins have spent more money on the the International market, coming to terms with 1B/OF Jack Barrie. Perfect Game talks about his big right-handed power. The 18 yr old also has a real good arm. Both articles mention six-figure deals. He'll likely play in the GCL, but I'd like to see his power in E-town.

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/australian...224-33b6p.html

http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n...ugger/2180313/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Using a metric coverter looks like he's 6'3" 250 lbs. That's a pretty hefty 18 year old. Looks like a right handed Jim Thome type.

Also, I never knew Australians spelled practice wrong!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    He's an enormous human. I like Perfect Game had him listed at 6'4, 253. There is a picture I saw where he looked like a bigger, wider version of Josh Willingham.

Got a quote from Lewis Thorpe, who saw him a couple of years ago. He said he was a pretty good hitter with power. He was big at 16 when he saw him. He's come a ways since then, but Thorpe says of the adjustment to the States, coming here is going to be "very different".

At the least, it's nice to see the Twins add another power bat.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,478 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This puts the Twins up against their international ceiling budget, correct? They can't have much left at this point.

5. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-25-2014)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This puts the Twins up against their international ceiling budget, correct? They can't have much left at this point.
    If you add six figures to the previous report, it would put them over the cap. I got a message out to Ben Badler to see if he can confirm.

7. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-25-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read $200,000 last night somewhere. Not a bad amount.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Got a quote from Lewis Thorpe, who saw him a couple of years ago. He said he was a pretty good hitter with power. He was big at 16 when he saw him. He's come a ways since then, but Thorpe says of the adjustment to the States, coming here is going to be "very different".
    Well "very different" certainly didn't mean "very difficult" so far for Thorpe. If only all prospects could adjust in the manor Thorpe has, on the field that is.

It also occurs to me that the Twins used their International cash on two guys who may be mirror images of each other, with Lewin Diaz being the other. Add DJ Hicks and Kennys Vargas and you'd hope one of them ends up being a big bat 1B/DH type.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Doogie tweeted earlier that the Twins still have IFA room to spend. I'm not doubting Doogie's sources. It could be possible that this was done earlier and just broke yesterday.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I just looked up the previously reported figures. The Twins had $3.9m to spend. They had spent $3.5m previously. If $200K is close, this would still put them around $3.7m, which does, in fact, give them plenty of room to still spend.

I was thinking they were closer than that.

12. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    Either way, let's have this fact put to bed the false claims that the Twins aren't spending their allottment once again.

This guy looks interesting and impressive. But it's easy to keep it in perspective by recalling that we had Aussie Rory Rhodes at one time, who was once described as having light tower power. But I love these kinds of signings because they conjure up a certain romanticism that makes you want to root for these guys.

Here is his Perfect Game profile with video. I saw him in December, he is 1 large kid. He was a man among boys at this show case. His hitting video shows his potential.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/P...D=388551#boxd0
    Love my God Daughter, Love Baseball, Love Twitter , I Love Golfing.

-I use to think Drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Odds they first see how much potential he has as a pitcher? I think they might. Regardless, I like the signing. An 18 year old that big surely could have some major upside.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Either way, let's have this fact put to bed the false claims that the Twins aren't spending their allottment once again.
    It's a yearly ritual. In July, people holler that the Twins aren't spending international money.

By February, they've come close to spending their allotment.

Next July, rinse and repeat.

17. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (02-26-2014), howieramone (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's a yearly ritual. In July, people holler that the Twins aren't spending international money.

By February, they've come close to spending their allotment.

Next July, rinse and repeat.
    I'm glad to have this guy, but I think the disappointment stemmed more from the Twins not going after the top tier Latin players. They generally go very early in the process and the Twins haven't been as active on that front.

I'm not judging the Twins method here, just trying to point out what I believe is the real complaint. I'd guess had the Twins signed Eloy Jimenez or Mickar Zapata there would probably have been less dissent about the spending habits even if there was money left over.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm glad to have this guy, but I think the disappointment stemmed more from the Twins not going after the top tier Latin players. They generally go very early in the process and the Twins haven't been as active on that front.

I'm not judging the Twins method here, just trying to point out what I believe is the real complaint. I'd guess had the Twins signed Eloy Jimenez or Mickar Zapata there would probably have been less dissent about the spending habits even if there was money left over.
    Not saying this is your argument but it's hard to play any form of moneyball if you're elbowing for space at the best table in the room all the time.

Sometimes going for the Latin player makes sense and I hope to see the Twins occasionally spring for a Sano type out of Latin America... But complaining that they don't do it every year is short-sighted. Projecting 16 year old kids is "rarely hit, mostly miss" situation and will lead to a lot of money spent with not a lot of return.

The smart money is in widening the net and snagging the Lewis Thorpes of the world on a regular basis, which appears to be the Twins' strategy over the past few years. Hopefully it pans out for them and so far, it's looking like a decent bet on Thorpe alone.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great compact short swing

Quote Originally Posted by pioneers3 View Post
    Here is his Perfect Game profile with video. I saw him in December, he is 1 large kid. He was a man among boys at this show case. His hitting video shows his potential.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/P...D=388551#boxd0
    Simple, compact, short swing, with great bat speed, and power. That's a swing the can translate well over higher levels. What if anything did they say about his pitch recognition. I suppose we won't have a better idea until he moves on to higher levels. You take that kids frame, bat speed, short powerful simple compact swing, and any type of plate recognition you might just have something. Prediction: he is going to move up the prospect ranking very very fast. I like this signing. Do we know which scout scouted him?

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    That's 4 big contract corner infielders this signing period. I find that interesting. The Twins have been drafting a lot of pitchers The last two drafts and power is expensive to sign so it's not a bad plan, just hope they can find at bats for all these kids. Barrie has a power swing and power build for sure. I'll be rooting for him!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KOHG View Post
    Simple, compact, short swing, with great bat speed, and power. That's a swing the can translate well over higher levels. What if anything did they say about his pitch recognition. I suppose we won't have a better idea until he moves on to higher levels. You take that kids frame, bat speed, short powerful simple compact swing, and any type of plate recognition you might just have something. Prediction: he is going to move up the prospect ranking very very fast. I like this signing. Do we know which scout scouted him?
    I would assume Howard Norsetter. He's very active in Australia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts

So the Twins should care if there is less dissent because they got who the public wanted? the Twins top prospect list is full of guys that were signed for less 1M. Sometimes there is a top guy but most of these guys are so speculative that it's typically better to get quantity rather than a couple of top tier guys.

I think the twins have done quite well adding a lot of young talent to the system instead of betting on a couple top tier guys.

Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts

nick, even this is a bit of an unfair characterization. Lewin Diaz was the 10th-ranked guy. I think the year before, they signed Minier (#7?) and Silva (#22?). Asking for more than that is just not fair. Their spending history in the international market has been excellent dating back several years, and our prospect pipeline provides plenty of evidence that it was intelligent spending to boot.

25. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-25-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast