Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Byron Buxton Extension

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts

Byron Buxton Extension

Was thinking the Twins should take the Longoria approach with Buxton, my idea is within days of him reaching the majors, offer him a 6-9 year deal (ideally two-three years of high salary team options for his first 2-3 years of free agency)

Obviously there is risk in locking up a guy before he "proves" it in the majors, however for the Twins long term I think it would be in their absolute best interest to do similar.

FWIW: Longo's original contract was 6 years/19 mil (44 mil over 9 years with options) And he ended up taking on a ton of years at the end, the Rays now have him for 15 years/144.5 million.

If I were the Twins I would certainly do this with Buxton within one week of him cracking the Twins lineup: 6 years/27 million (18, 19, 20 mil options for the first 3 free agent years (4 mil buyouts) 9 Years-84 million to which you can tack on another 5-6 years about 5-6 years into the contract.

Ideally I would look into doing it with Sano as well. The risk in these cases would be well worth the rewards! Yeah, you overpay the first 6 years a bit, but I think it would be very hard for him to turn down such a nice amount of guaranteed money.

Thoughts?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

2. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-25-2014)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last Wednesday, Derek Wetmore of 1500 asked a similar question. I went through some extensions and wrote up what my offer would be... (It's at home, so I'll have to check later.)

I tweeted the parameters, but can't access them right now either.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd love it, but that means the Twins are banking on him being not just good, but elite. I couldn't see the Twins gambling like that, though I hope I'm wrong. I'd think they would wait at least until after his rookie year, I just can't imagine them paying an average of $19 million for three option years for a guy who hasn't proven anything against MLB pitching.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It makes sense under certain circumstances. I'd probably want to see how he did in the minors this year just to set my self at ease that last season wasn't some sort of crazy good fluke, but yeah, if he continues to do as well as he did, it certainly makes sense, and does for both sides.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd love it, but that means the Twins are banking on him being not just good, but elite. I couldn't see the Twins gambling like that, though I hope I'm wrong. I'd think they would wait at least until after his rookie year, I just can't imagine them paying an average of $19 million for three option years for a guy who hasn't proven anything against MLB pitching.
    I can't imagine his agent letting him accept $19 million for three years after he could be making $35 million in free agency. That's what Trout is likely getting.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I can't imagine his agent letting him accept $19 million for three years after he could be making $35 million in free agency. That's what Trout is likely getting.
    There is a way you can structure it in a manner that makes sense for both Buxton and the team. It would involve him making a lot more in the years when he would be on a rookie deal, then taking a discount as a free agent.

With regard to the Trout deal, it seems to me they are paying him more now than they otherwise would, but then they turn around and pay him $35 and $38M in his first two free agent years? A-Rod dwarfs every other position player at $28M a year. Then you have Pujols at $24M, Prince at $23M. So this one is a head scratcher for me. And it isn't even as long, he is a free agent at 28.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As young as Buxton is he may not produce a productive season until he's 24 or 25. Giving him a security contract until he proves he is the real deal is a bad idea.

Tampa should be disappointed in Longorias performance. Expecting bigger numbers than last years .269. He should be driving in 110 runs and scoring that many with an OPS nearing 1.00.
    Last edited by thetank; 02-25-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll post the yearly breakdown later, but I had a deal that paid $109m over 12 years with an option and hefty buyout. The last two years were worth $46.5 million. It would start this year and buy out five years of FA. I get Seth's point... but there's definitely more risk in Buxton turning it down than Trout.

Also, if Mike Cameron is his floor, Cameron was worth $106 over his best six (I think...) year period.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    After a week in the majors I'm not sure agent, fan or ballclub will be able to deterine if he's Trout-like.

To clarify, Dave's three buyout years are $19 mill on average, not collectively.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-25-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Lets wait and see if he makes it to the show before we give 200 million dollar contract,ok

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Lets wait and see if he makes it to the show before we give 200 million dollar contract,ok
    I kinda thought Dave covered that in his first sentence right after the comma.

13. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That is why they are option years, if he falls off the map you buy him out for 4 million.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I would gladly wager $100 that he "makes it to the show", I will even give ya 20:1 odds

16. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (02-25-2014)

The angels are paying the price in waiting to long with trout.

I wouldn't be opposed to upping it to 22,23,24 mil a year. Yes he could be leaving money on the table, but the appeal of 30+ mil guaranteed (with but out) to a kid who is that young....has to have some bearing, no? It would be hard to turn down such security IMO.

Heck even if he tanked I wouldn't mind the deal for the twins 30 mil over 7 years can easily be absorbed....heck that is about as much as we wasted on nishi and Blackburn.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Tampa should be disappointed in Longorias performance. Expecting bigger numbers than last years .269. He should be driving in 110 runs and scoring that many with an OPS nearing 1.00.
    Tampa is paying Longoria $6M a year. He has averaged an OPS of .870, 29.5 HR, and 98 RBI a year (career numbers / 5.5)

I am guessing they are not dissapointed.

Exactly 8 players have a career OPS over 1.00. Ever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...g_career.shtml
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-25-2014 at 02:56 PM.

19. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Jdosen (02-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Tampa is paying Longoria $6M a year. He has averaged an OPS of .870, 29.5 HR, and 98 RBI a year (career numbers / 5.5)

I am guessing they are not dissapointed.

Exactly 8 players have a career OPS over 1.00. Ever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...g_career.shtml
    Not so bad if he still has trade value. I still think the Rays were expecting the next level higher.

Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Not so bad if he still has trade value. I still think the Rays were expecting the next level higher.
    Dude what are you talking about, he has plenty of trade value, every team in baseball including the Twins would take him in a heartbeat. First off, RBI's are a terrible stat to judge a player, BA is another bad one, 2nd off, he was the top 3rd baseman in WAR in both 2010 and 2011, in 2013 he finished third right behind a certain Miguel Cabrera. He is easily the best 3B in the league now that Miggy is moving back to first. He is pretty much a guarantee at this point for a 6.5-8.0 WAR year.

His contract is probably the steal of the century at this point, the guy is a straight up stud and though early, is already playing at a legit hall of fame level.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

22. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Yup, the Angels must be regretting not signing Trout last year.....the price is up at least $5MM per year for him now.....the estimates I've read across the 'net are scary big (and he's worth it, compared to others).
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hahahaha... I never realized how much dough we are going to have to pay Sano and Buxton if they are as good as we hope. Hoo boy. In 8 years, nobody will remember the griping about Mauer's big contract 'cause we'll be stuck with 2 players hogging half the whole payroll.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10 years, $130 million. Options and buyouts involved too. I cannot imagine anyone being silly enough to go for anything less given how crazy the market could be 7 years from now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast