Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Byron Buxton Extension

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    Hahahaha... I never realized how much dough we are going to have to pay Sano and Buxton if they are as good as we hope. Hoo boy. In 8 years, nobody will remember the griping about Mauer's big contract 'cause we'll be stuck with 2 players hogging half the whole payroll.
    That's why you sign one of em early to save a bit. Hell though, if the Tigers can have Verlander, Miggy and Scherzer all signed long term, the Twins can make it work.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    10 years, $130 million. Options and buyouts involved too. I cannot imagine anyone being silly enough to go for anything less given how crazy the market could be 7 years from now.
    This is the key. If you can't reach a dollar value that gets the agent salivating, it's a moot point whether it makes sense for the Twins.

Signing a long term contract early for a sense of security?? A player who gets a $6,000,000 signing bonus may be willing to gamble a little. We've been told his major purchase so far is a Ford F150. I don't think Mr. Buxton is worried about starvation for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendel View Post
    Signing a long term contract early for a sense of security?? A player who gets a $6,000,000 signing bonus may be willing to gamble a little. We've been told his major purchase so far is a Ford F150. I don't think Mr. Buxton is worried about starvation for some time to come.
    Prob closer to $3 million after taxes, agents, etc. Certainly a good amount but hardly (whole family set for life)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two words why I am against this:

Bo Jackson

and two more:

Mark Prior
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

6. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (02-25-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hahahaha... I never realized how much dough we are going to have to pay Sano and Buxton if they are as good as we hope. Hoo boy. In 8 years, nobody will remember the griping about Mauer's big contract 'cause we'll be stuck with 2 players hogging half the whole payroll.
    And people will gripe about their contracts for some reason or another.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Bo Jackson

and two more:

Mark Prior
    That's definitely the risk. No question.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In 8 years, nobody will remember the griping about Mauer's big contract
    The way that happens is usually that you got 7 years out of the player that were good enough to justify the huge payday for the coming year(s). It's just the way the CBA works. The hope under this system is to keep the pipeline of young cheap talent coming so that you can always afford multiple eight-figure salaries at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Prob closer to $3 million after taxes, agents, etc. Certainly a good amount but hardly (whole family set for life)
    I'm not saying I don't like the idea. But I think it will be more expensive than most think. If I have $3million in the bank, I won't play Powerball till the jackpot is huge. They need to make sure this kid loves playing for the Twins and wants to stay. Maybe Gardy needs to tuck him in at night, tell him a story and shine his cleats. Whatever it takes! #1 build a winning team around him. Playing for Twins the last 3 seasons wouldn't have been all giggles. All the signs say this kid is going to be special. He needs to think the team is headed in that direction too. We need to find a way to get him to follow Seth. I know it helps my attitude.

11. This user likes Kendel's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good point. a deal would likely fall between Longoria's incredibly team friendly 15 years-144 million and Trout's not so friendly 6 year 150 million.

I wonder how much of a contract like that can be insured? My understanding was 4-5 years was about the max for a pitcher but you could insure more for a position player

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    That is why they are option years, if he falls off the map you buy him out for 4 million.
    I don't disagree, I'm game for that deal, it just seems very un-Twinlike.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    No doubt in my mind you have to go for this. Whether or not the Twins will is another question. You need a foundation for long term success. Is there risk involved? Yes. That might just be why Byron decides to sign, interestingly enough. It won't be nearly as good as Longoria's deal, but my hope is that we can lock him in for a few post-arb years and still have a chance at re-signing Sano if he is the real deal after all.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Part of this might depend on when he makes The Show. I say that because the trend (and honestly, rightfully so) seems to be for these ultra-talents to seek the "security" payday now while being in position to hit the FA market before age 30. Let's say Buxton is up in September with the presumption that he's here to stay. I'd be shocked if his agent goes for more than 7-8 years, guaranteeing his freedom by 29. Delay his arrival, and the window to buy out FA years as part of the deal starts dwindling.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts

Bo Jackson

and two more:

Mark Prior
    The team will forever be hamstrung by the 4M buyouts. They won't be able to afford the Kevin Corriea's and Mike Pelfrey's of the league. Whatever will they do?

17. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (02-25-2014)

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The team will forever be hamstrung by the 4M buyouts. They won't be able to afford the Kevin Corriea's and Mike Pelfrey's of the league. Whatever will they do?
    Moderator note: this is a good thread. Let's not take it off track with sarcasm.

Bo Jackson

and two more:

Mark Prior
    Yeah it's a risk, we established that. Several more words:
    Bryce Harper
    Mike Trout
    Evan Longoria
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Stephen Strausburg
    David Price
    Matt Wieters
    King Felix
    Joe Mauer
    Justin Upton
    BJ Upton even!

All #1 or #2 guys over the past few years who easily would be worth said contract offer (especially considering the team options/buyouts)
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 02-26-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Moderator note: this is a good thread. Let's not take it off track with sarcasm.
    I don't see that as over the top, yeah it was a bit of a sarcastic tone, but Kab brings up a good point, the $4 million buy outs wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it absolutely had to happen.

21. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA (02-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea. I might even consider Meyer for this even though he doesn't have the Strasburg/Price/Hernandez pedigree from your list. Buxton & Meyer really seem to have their head in the right place though.

The answer is it depends on the terms of the deal and how sure the Twins FO is that Buxton will live up to expectations. (Not the Willie Mays expectations but high expectations). I think you do it if the terms are reasonable but I don't think you do it the first two weeks he us up. Take a little time to evaluate a huge investment.

What about Dozier? I see on MLB rumors he is open to an extension. With him you have a floor that looks to be pretty high. You still might end up trading him and putting Rosario at 2B but a reasonable contract helps facilitate such a transaction.

24. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (02-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bo Jackson

and two more:

Mark Prior
    Bo had 7 years with some sick numbers. He finished with a .780 OPS and was close to 30-30 a few times. I would see the downside as more dramatic than that. Think Andy Marte.

18 year old in A - .831 OPS, 18 HR
    19 year old in A+ - .840 OPS, 19 HR
    20 year old in AA - .910 OPS, 20 HR

At that point he was a top prospect. 10 years later he had a .635 OPS in 930 AB's, over 8 seasons.

With Buxton you would think he will be above average in the field and on the bases, barring a series of injuries. At a very minimum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast