Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Position Battle: Catcher

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have just gone with Pinto and Herrmann and been done with it.

2. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (02-27-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,501 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I have expected them to go with a 60/40 split in playing time at catcher so I think both of them make the squad and eventually Pinto works up to starting 75% of the time.

Suzuki imo was signed to break Pinto in slowly and provide a reasonable alternative if he flops his 1st time around. And catching 2-3 times/week is not a big issue in the development of an almost 25 yr old. But it does take the big pressure off of him.
    This is my thinking as well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'd prefer to have Pinto be the starter with Suzuki the backup, and hopefully by midseason that's the case. I expect Pinto to eventually be an asset at the plate, but I think it is going to take a little time; Sept's numbers are wildly unrealistic. But we know Gardy would prefer to have a good defensive player with a crap bat over a plus bat and iffy defense.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    No one's talking about improving the offense at catcher because you're not going to get a better hitter than Mauer. We're talking about degrees of downgrades and Suzuki is a massive one.
    Suzuki is not replacing Mauer at the plate, he's replacing Morneau.

Morneau's OPS+ the last three years: 70, 112, 103
    Suzuki's OPS+ the lst three years: 89, 67, 73

Still a big downgrade. The hope is it can be made up with the combination of Pinto and a stronger and healthier Mauer.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

6. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-27-2014)

Liked 2,998 Times in 1,272 Posts
    If everyone else does their job, Suzuki (and Florimon, and ...) doesn't have to hit.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (02-27-2014), mike wants wins (02-27-2014), PseudoSABR (02-27-2014), snepp (02-27-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Morneau's OPS+ the last three years: 70, 112, 103
    Suzuki's OPS+ the lst three years: 89, 67, 73

Still a big downgrade.
    I would call that a pretty massive downgrade. It's the area of this team's offense people don't seem to understand.

Especially when you are adding into it that a "healthier Mauer" will have an impact. That's a talking point among many on the board here that just doesn't hold water. The time Mauer missed was filled by a player (Pinto) that outhit Mauer! (And by a fairly significant margin too) So it's not just the downgrade from Morneau to Suzuki - it's the likelihood that we'll also see a dip in the combined performance we got from our catchers last year. It's a double downgrade and quite possibly a massive one at that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Suzuki has been 28th and 27th in catcher war (espn version) over the last two years.....why would you play him and not Pinto? Why not give the young guy a shot?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Suzuki has been 28th and 27th in catcher war (espn version) over the last two years.....why would you play him and not Pinto? Why not give the young guy a shot?
    3 possible reasns (in no particular order):

1) The Twins traded away their only 2 starting CF options before 2013, they ended up paying a steep price. Suzuki is an insurance policy.

2) By signing Suzuki, they now have a possible Plan A and Plan B with Pinto-
    (A) give him the starting job if he proves healthy enough and ready enough.
    (B) give him another 60 days in AAA to get healthy enough and more ready.

3) Gardy is only in his comfort zone with at least one plodding, no-hit catcher to call upon at a momemt's notice.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-27-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I would call that a pretty massive downgrade. It's the area of this team's offense people don't seem to understand.

Especially when you are adding into it that a "healthier Mauer" will have an impact. That's a talking point among many on the board here that just doesn't hold water. The time Mauer missed was filled by a player (Pinto) that outhit Mauer! (And by a fairly significant margin too) So it's not just the downgrade from Morneau to Suzuki - it's the likelihood that we'll also see a dip in the combined performance we got from our catchers last year. It's a double downgrade and quite possibly a massive one at that.

So you don't buy the claim that Mauer will stay healthier and stronger by moving to first base? That's what I was saying. And I fail to see how comparing his lack of health at catcher last has any bearing to this year.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I would have just gone with Pinto and Herrmann and been done with it.
    What I think we see next season, more than likely. Not was I opposed to doing so this season after we stick out on AJP. However, I like splitting up the youngsters for more consistent AB's for Herrmann, as well as an experienced, current backstop to help mentor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    What I think we see next season, more than likely. Not was I opposed to doing so this season after we stick out on AJP. However, I like splitting up the youngsters for more consistent AB's for Herrmann, as well as an experienced, current backstop to help mentor.
    I don't get the Hermann love. By the numbers, Fryer is the better hitter and has the much better glove. Yeah Hermann has some versatility, but why would Gardy want to put a guy who hits like Butera in the outfield?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody else feel a little guilty about sending Pinto back to AAA? If catcher careers are shorter and more volatile than other positions (witness our two catchers who more or less quit catching last season), every day Pinto's not in MLB at this point doesn't help his financial outlook. I don't know what his original signing bonus was, but it probably wasn't much -- I don't recall him being a well-known international prospect. And he's been making minor league wages since. Heck, for the talk of his winter ball shoulder issue, he probably has to play winter ball just to make ends meet (and if he's catching during winter ball, that just adds to the risk).

Maybe I've been thinking too much about that lawsuit by the minor leaguers recently... but I'm inclined to let Pinto play in MLB now. He's not young anymore, and he's hit at every level. It just doesn't seem to right to send him down for further refinement (while we conveniently pause his service time clock). Suzuki can spell him a few days a week, and he and the MLB pitchers can probably provide Pinto with more mentorship than their AAA counterparts.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I don't get the Pinto to AAA thing either. He raked in AA, and got promoted mid season to AAA and did quite well there too. His September was obviously an outlier, but certainly encouraging regardless. I think he gets the job out of camp though Suzuki is likely going to be the opening day starter. Pinto will stay up as long as he's doing OK.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 474 Times in 309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, getting another year of control is an issue. Pinto has a month of ML service time and I fully expect him to spend April in Rochester. Beyond that, he only was in Rochester for 19 games and about 75 plate appearances. I expect that he would benefit a bit from another month in AAA. It isn't fair to him to delay free agency, but all major league teams do it, from the Yankees to the Marlins.

Blog Entries
    I think Pinto earned his spot in September. Given the offensive issues with Suzuki, I would be shocked if he doesn't make the team. Fryer and Hermann are pure back-ups. Pinto is the future, and Suzuki is here because he's the perfect complement to Pinto.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For a non-elite player, the extra year of control is actually of pretty minimal value. If he's good enough to be worth his arbitration salary in that extra year, odds are he will sign a long-term contract much earlier covering that year anyway.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Because there's more to catching than WAR. Pinto's ability to handle the pitching staff is the probably the biggest unknown and strike against him.

Senior Member MVP
    There's more to catching than "handling a staff"...like hitting and fielding as "traditionally" measured. He's not good at those.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    So you don't buy the claim that Mauer will stay healthier and stronger by moving to first base? That's what I was saying. And I fail to see how comparing his lack of health at catcher last has any bearing to this year.
    You are comparing production by positions no? People are double dipping their predictions because they project improvement at first because Mauer > Morneau and then citing Mauer's lack of health as a drain on 2013 catching numbers. But the Twins' production at catcher actually got better after he was hurt. Recognizing that only further widens the downgrade.

As as for the position change and Mauer, I find all the hefty improvements being predicted as mighty dubious. I'm guessing whatever difficult-to-quantify help the switch is may be easily offset by Mauer's aging and bat speed. But I hope I'm wrong.

Senior Member MVP
    levi....to me its about more at bats from their best hitter, not that he'll hit better......though that is possible.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast