Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Matt Capps, Bill Smith and the trade that ruined Twins baseball

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The first option, which is why I say Hughes has upside while Drew does not. Also, Hughes has park adjusted upside while Drew does not. Put them together and I would put money on Hughes producing more WAR over the next two years than Drew. Factor in the draft pick, and the case gets better for Hughes.
    How about Drew vs any Twins SS in the system right now?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

To me, this all comes down to opportunity costs. No one doubts that Drew is an upgrade over Florimon. The issue at hand is how much (likely a couple wins) and for what cost. If you assume 1 win is abou 5M, Drew's asking price is substantially more than what he's going to provide, and that's before you throw a mid 40s pick in a deep draft into the mix.

I said before I waffle on this, and I still really don't care either way. I suspect that if it was just cost, the Twins would have signed him already, but they are giving up A LOT to get an upgrade, and it isn't as though they are one piece away. This is the type of deal I think they would be making in 2015, or potentially even next year if things break right, but not now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    In today's Star Tribune, Jim Souhan touched on the subject of SS (sorry, i don't have the link, I read it in a newspaper). In short, it was stated that it was accepted that Florimon can't hit enough, but that Santana was deemed the "SS of the future". This is why the Twins have passed on Drew--they believe they have as good (or better) for and much less money. Don't mention payroll to me--I've expressed my opinion on payroll often enough that the dots can be connected.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This was a good post, but my big concern is looking at it in a vacuum. I'm not sure either scenario is necessarily "likely" but both are possible.
    Definitely agreed. I approve of the Hughes signing, and I'd probably be in on Drew too (assuming reports of his ~3/30 demands are accurate). When you consider performance as well as age, they are actually not dissimilar moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    In today's Star Tribune, Jim Souhan touched on the subject of SS (sorry, i don't have the link, I read it in a newspaper). In short, it was stated that it was accepted that Florimon can't hit enough, but that Santana was deemed the "SS of the future". This is why the Twins have passed on Drew--they believe they have as good (or better) for and much less money. Don't mention payroll to me--I've expressed my opinion on payroll often enough that the dots can be connected.
    I was curious if Santana was playing into their decision mostly because I wondered how confident the F/O is in him defensively.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The first option, which is why I say Hughes has upside while Drew does not. Also, Hughes has park adjusted upside while Drew does not. Put them together and I would put money on Hughes producing more WAR over the next two years than Drew. Factor in the draft pick, and the case gets better for Hughes.
    I just think you're underestimating the established difference between the two players -- they are 3 years apart, but Drew is starting from a much higher baseline (by rWAR, anyway***). Decline from Drew and improvement from Hughes might make up the difference, but in no way is it likely or a safe bet that Hughes will blow Drew away in that regard. Heck, Hughes is going to need significant improvement to even get back up to 2 rWAR after his poor 2013 showing.

I actually like them both, and think they warrant similar consideration and investment from the Twins.

*** Why doesn't fWAR like Drew as much? Looks like they might not like his defense...?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    Bad trades? What about Tom Brunansky for Tommy Herr? For the current regime, it wasn't technically a trade, but everyone would probably like to go back in time and retract David Ortiz in exchange for spending reduction.
    Yup, there have been some bad trades, but I'll remember this as one that ruined my childhood. I cried when we watched the news and this was reported. I'm not sure I should admit that though, I was already 10 after all.

Nice first post, and even nicer handle. I'm totally for nicknaming Deduno "The Dude."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That's a completely irrelevant question is a vacuum, mike. You know that most people would say he's currently (emphasis here) superior, although Souhan and others are not convinced the Twins view Santana as very far off from being ready.

We don't know what the Twins think about Drew. We don't know what the Twins think of Drew compared to their other current or potential near future (emphasis here) options. You can assume they are balking at signing him because they don't want to spend any more money, and you would probably be wrong. You might also assume they haven't signed him because they don't think the potential benefit is worth the current price, and you would probably be right. If I thought signing Drew was a good idea, I'd just have to accept the likelihood that the Twins, for reasons they are not going to share with me, disagree, and I'm not going to find fault with that given how little I know and how much they know.

You don't fit these categories, mike, but some of our friends actually believe the only reason he hasn't been signed is because the Twins are running some kind of spreadsheet that helps them never ever put wins and losses ahead of profits. And some actually believe they have some insight that would suggest the Twins are making a poor judgment call about Drew, since it doesn't match theirs

9. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    *** Why doesn't fWAR like Drew as much? Looks like they might not like his defense...?
    Bingo. Looking at his FanGraphs defense page, he actually had a good year last year with a 5.8 UZR and a 6.7 UZR/150. But his career numbers are kind of ugly. His net career UZR is -18.8. As recently as 2012, he had a UZR of -7. When I speak of regression, I factor in defense, of course, and I think his defense is more prone to regression than his offense, considering career numbers plus old legs. I don't think his overall WAR will be close to Florimon, but his dWAR will be much worse over the next couple of years.

I also think you gloss over variability in his baseline, assuming 2013 is his baseline. I think it's closer to a career year. In six of his eight years, his WAR has been at 2 or below, twice below 0. He's had two career years (2010 and 2013). He's prime for regression from those, not even factoring in age.

In three of the last five years, Hughes has had WAR in the 2.5 range. He's much more consistent. Unlike Drew, he's never had a negative WAR. And, also unlike Drew, he is three years younger, just entering his prime this year. Finally, I don't think you can over asses park effects. Something like 12 homers Hughes gave up last year are routine fly balls in Target Field. Something like 12 doubles off Drew's bat in Fenway last year are routine fly balls in Target Field.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I believe the Twins are making this decision for whatever reason they are making it. I have no idea why they are making it.

I don't agree, given the information I have, with the decision.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I was curious if Santana was playing into their decision mostly because I wondered how confident the F/O is in him defensively.
    The F/O has praised his range while talking up what he has to work on. They don't like praising their own prospects, preferring to talk about stuff they have to work on. But I have read a lot of praise. As recently as Twins Fest, Ryan called him a "dark horse" candidate to start with the big club sometime this year.

When he is ready, he is a big upgrade on range, according to the scouting reports I've read. And he's an upgrade with the bat, not huge, but something. On another thread, they talk about trading for Gregorius. I think Santana is a good comp for him with the bat, with more speed and range.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Bingo. Looking at his FanGraphs defense page, he actually had a good year last year with a 5.8 UZR and a 6.7 UZR/150. But his career numbers are kind of ugly. His net career UZR is -18.8. As recently as 2012, he had a UZR of -7. When I speak of regression, I factor in defense, of course, and I think his defense is more prone to regression than his offense, considering career numbers plus old legs. I don't think his overall WAR will be close to Florimon, but his dWAR will be much worse over the next couple of years.
    Interesting that Drew's negative UZR is almost entirely 2008 and earlier, though (his first 2.5 seasons). He's been solidly positive UZR 4 of the last 5 years, with the only exception being his 2012 recovery year. His UZR/150 rates during that time actually beat Florimon's 2013 rate (which is another data point which make me question whether Florimon is any kind of special defender at short or merely an average one).

I also think you gloss over variability in his baseline, assuming 2013 is his baseline. I think it's closer to a career year. In six of his eight years, his WAR has been at 2 or below, twice below 0. He's had two career years (2010 and 2013). He's prime for regression from those, not even factoring in age.
    I wasn't using 2013 as Drew's baseline. I was using rWAR (B-Ref WAR), and if you toss out 2012 and prorate 2011 for the ankle, Drew has 3+ rWAR every season after 2007. Although even by fWAR (Fangraphs WAR), if you prorate 2011, Drew is likewise 3+ WAR every year after 2009, and twice was 4+ (prorating 2013). If I am reading Fangraphs correctly, he's cumulatively above *average* (not just replacement) on both sides of the ball after 2007, even before a positional adjustment.

I wouldn't necessarily pay Drew like he's a guaranteed 3+ WAR player, but then again, 2/20 or even 3/30 isn't paying him like he's a guaranteed 3+ WAR player.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    The F/O has praised his range while talking up what he has to work on. They don't like praising their own prospects, preferring to talk about stuff they have to work on. But I have read a lot of praise. As recently as Twins Fest, Ryan called him a "dark horse" candidate to start with the big club sometime this year.

When he is ready, he is a big upgrade on range, according to the scouting reports I've read. And he's an upgrade with the bat, not huge, but something. On another thread, they talk about trading for Gregorius. I think Santana is a good comp for him with the bat, with more speed and range.
    Isn't the one talking point in favor of Florimon his range? And Santana's going to be "a big upgrade" over that?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Isn't the one talking point in favor of Florimon his range? And Santana's going to be "a big upgrade" over that?
    I read (can't remember where) that his range is ridiculous. That would be fun to watch. His errors have been high. Does anyone know if that problem is trending in the right direction?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This is the type of deal I think they would be making in 2015, or potentially even next year
    "YOU! What planet is this??? ... Okay, then what year?"

17. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-01-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I read (can't remember where) that his range is ridiculous. That would be fun to watch. His errors have been high. Does anyone know if that problem is trending in the right direction?
    On today's radio broadcast, Gladden spoke about his conversation with Brad Steil in which Steil described Santana as the most athletic prospect in the system, more athletic than even Buxton apparently, but then suggested that Engelb Vielma wasn't far behind either of them.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    On today's radio broadcast, Gladden spoke about his conversation with Brad Steil in which Steil described Santana as the most athletic prospect in the system, more athletic than even Buxton apparently, but then suggested that Engelb Vielma wasn't far behind either of them.
    Where would Polanco and Minier rank in that list? I have no knowledge of
    Vielma's athleticism, but it seems rather unlikely that anyone in the organization, even Santana, is more athletic than Buxton.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Where would Polanco and Minier rank in that list? I have no knowledge of
    Vielma's athleticism, but it seems rather unlikely that anyone in the organization, even Santana, is more athletic than Buxton.
    Yeah, kind of hard to believe our favorite team's farm director.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Yeah, kind of hard to believe our favorite team's farm director.
    Might this man have been in charge of the farm system during the previous decade? If so, that might explain why the cupboard was found bare in 2011.

22. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-28-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    deleted
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 03-02-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast