Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Trouble With Counting on Kubel

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Trouble With Counting on Kubel

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Good article. I'm not actually counting on Kubel at all, much less the way some here seem to be counting on him. Frankly, I'm not sure he stays on the club for very long at all.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't expect much from Kubel. He is essentially replacing Doumit who put a .710 OPS last season (which is close to the numbers that hurt Kubel put) and Parmelee whose healthy numbers in 2013 (.228/.309/.354, 24.3% K%) were almost identical to Kubel's. I suspect that at some point in the season Willingham will be the full time DH and (hopefully) by mid-season Plouffe takes over. I just don't want to see (m)any of those guys on the field any more.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    It kinda worries me that the Twins/Gardy are talking him up. I thought he was fine to bring in for a look, but certainly had no expectations that he would actually make the team. If he did it was a bonus, otherwise it was a chance to show we appreciated him before he goes off into the sunset.

"Last year, the D-Backs and Indians did their best to shield him, limiting him to 40 plate appearances (out of 291) against southpaws."

Wow, they platooned him, and he still put up that poor of a line? Ouch.

Also, as always occurs to me when discussing how Gardy refuses to platoon players, how many teams have managers where the team can sign a guy who might be helpful if used right, but the fans have to worry about the manager screwing it up, therefore making it better if the team doesn't sign that guy even though he could improve the team?
    Last edited by sandbun; 02-28-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Plouffe moves off 3rd in favor of Sano a platoon with Kubel would be killer. I hope his struggles last season are behind him. It will be an interesting story to watch, because Kubel is somewhat of a crier.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I've never been a huge Kubel fan. Personally I think they should be playing the younger guys. This sounds like a typical TR bounce back year to build value scenario. The problem is we have enough of those guys as it is right now.

I hope Kubel is on a short leash but knowing Gardy and the Twins he probably gets most of the season to prove himself. Maybe things will work out and they can trade him for something around the deadline but he is not a long term answer for this team.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love that they signed Kubel, and got him on a minor league deal. I think he's a given to make the roster, but it's not guaranteed. He's only 31, and in 2012, he launched 30 homers. Last year he was hurt. Don't get me wrong. He's not a given, and they have lots of other options if he doesn't pan out, but this is the kind of signing the Twins should (and all teams should) be excited about.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel should not be given any more than 270 ABs in all likelihood. He's back in the AL, but unfortunately in an unfavorable environment for lefties (Target). I feel like he needs all the stars to align for a bounce-back, but my expectations are still about a .780 OPS if he wants to stay with the big club.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I don't expect much from Kubel. He is essentially replacing Doumit who put a .710 OPS last season (which is close to the numbers that hurt Kubel put)
    Kubel had a .610 OPS, that 100 points lower and not what I would call close. Even in Kubel's limited time last year he was worth almost 2 less wins then Doumit so I view this as a clear step down.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...yers=2113,2161

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I think Kubel was a great signing and I think he will be a helluva DH (platoon).

I think he and Hughes are going to be the two guys that have very huge bounce back years. Now I don't see 30 HR in target field, but I think he gets 20 HR, .765 OPS (.790 OPS if they protect him against LHP)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    What was Kubel's injury last year. I googled "Kubel 2013 Injury" and all I found was a strained quad. Was there something serious that I did not find? I have a hard time thinking a muscle pull in April could really be an excuse for the season he had.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...?q=jason-kubel
    Last edited by jharaldson; 02-28-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    meh, those SO trends lead me to think he's not very good anymore. If he's their primary DH, they'll continue their trend of being one of the worst hitting DH teams in the league.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Kubel on a minor league deal was a pretty good bargain, probably one of the best of the offseason.

Still, I don't know that anyone is really counting on him other than Gardy, who likely is happy with the familiarity and the veteran status. It's TBD if Ryan is counting on him. After all, Ryan has a $2 million incentive to not bring him north with the club right out of the gate.

If all things are equal and that last roster spot comes down to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee probably has the edge. You don't lose Kubel if you send him to Rochester, and you save having to pay a hefty bonus.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-28-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Kubel on a minor league deal was a pretty good bargain, probably one of the best of the offseason.

Still, I don't know that anyone is really counting on him other than Gardy, who likely is happy with the familiarity and the veteran status. It's TBD if Ryan is counting on him. After all, Ryan has a $2 million incentive to not bring him north with the club right out of the gate.

If all things are equal and that last roster spot comes down to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee probably has the edge. You don't lose Kubel if you send him to Rochester, and you save having to pay a hefty bonus.
    Unfortunately, Gardy's new 2 year contract and Terry's public apology for not gettting him better players means that Gardy's opinion will likely hold sway here. And really, what are the alternatives that Gardy can put out there instead? I hope for the 2012 Kubel to make a return, but I fear that the 2013 version of Kubel is closer to the real one....and that Gardy sticks with that version for too long before cutting bait (all the evidence we need is the fact that Doumit kept getting meaningless ABs when the club clearly would have been better served giving those ABs to players like Parmelee, who are/were still potentially part of the future). I think they try to sneak Parmelee through waivers.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    This year should be about finding out what the youth can do, since they punted fixing the offense at all.....and aren't likely to compete. I don't get how using Kubel helps that at all. It's hard to execute your strategy, if you don't execute your strategy.
    Lighten up Francis....

17. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (02-28-2014)

Agreed. Besides that the roster is a bit overloaded with slow corner OF that don't hit LHP particularly well. As a lineup, things are looking bad against LHP. Hammer, Dozier, Mauer, and Plouffe are the only ones that can actually hit lefties. Arcia, Kubel, Parm, Presley, Florimon, Herrmann all would be roster boat anchors on those days. Everyone talks about platooning, but where is the other half of these platoons going to come from if Willingham, Dozier, and Plouffe are all playing regularly anyway?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    I have no clue as to whether he'll bounce back, but there are three things I want to see a whole lot less of by 2015: crappy lumbering outfielders, sloppy station-to-station baserunning, and most importantly, those godawful strikeouts for the wrong team.

20. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (02-28-2014), mike wants wins (02-28-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    On strikeouts - the league has been trending upwards too. Most batters will be on an upward trend.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Unfortunately, Gardy's new 2 year contract and Terry's public apology for not gettting him better players means that Gardy's opinion will likely hold sway here. And really, what are the alternatives that Gardy can put out there instead? I hope for the 2012 Kubel to make a return, but I fear that the 2013 version of Kubel is closer to the real one....and that Gardy sticks with that version for too long before cutting bait (all the evidence we need is the fact that Doumit kept getting meaningless ABs when the club clearly would have been better served giving those ABs to players like Parmelee, who are/were still potentially part of the future). I think they try to sneak Parmelee through waivers.
    It's difficult to conceive that Gardenhire wouldn't make demands [to the effect] of having better players to manage if he is to be held responsible for the Twins' W/L record as a condition of signing a new contract. With respect to the "public apology" it seems that the addition of sooo many veteran players was to provide those "better players". "Meaningless ABs" is a vague term. No, Doumit wasn't signed to be a building block--he was signed to "win now" (at least as much as practicable--like 70+ games). Gardenhire is not, and never was to be the sort of manager to "build a team"--his job was always to "win now". So, if Doumit was played--it was to "win now". It is/was someone else's responsibility to develop the players. The extended minor league service time of most Twins-developed players indicates just that. The Twins do not use the philosophy of pushing prospects to the majors, get them 3 years or so experience, and then sign them long-term--or trade them before they get expensive.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Once Sano is here it is pretty clear what should be done. Plouffe is a good hitter against lefties and Kubel is a good hitter against righties. Used that way the position will have a combined lifetime OPS near .830. A platoon makes a lot of sense either at DH or left field and when Willingham DH's. The odd guy out is a good late innings pinch hitting power threat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast