Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plouffe

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries

Plouffe

Now that Sano is not going to push for the 3b job for another year, what are peoples expectations for Plouffe? I'm really hoping we see him really take the job and run with it. A poor season would be frustrating. I'm really applauding the Bartlett acquisition right now. An OPS of .750 would be good for me, and likely ensure a starting spot in the MLB for the next few years for him.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Plouffe has a great opportunity ... we can only hope that he takes it and runs with it.

They've been playing Bartlett all over the place to ensure that he is truly a utility player ... infield or outfield. I think starting with the intrasquad game on Thursday, he has played short, outfield and 2nd (I could be wrong). I would expect to see them continue to rotate him through positions. If he can get his bat going even a little, that would be a good thing. Given how rusty he was, he had some decent AB's today.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Plouffe is the luckiest guy in the world. We should of picked up some competition for him in the off season.

4. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Plouffe is the luckiest guy in the world. We should of picked up some competition for him in the off season.
    Why waste a 40-man spot? They have Sano and a host of utility guys (including Bartlett) to take time if Plouffe falls on his face.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would not count Deibinson Romero out of the equation yet...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (03-01-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I would not count Deibinson Romero out of the equation yet...
    In an emergency, perhaps. I see him as hitting better than Florimon, and being a butcher in the field. I doubt Gardy will put up with him for long, and would install a no-hit glove man instead.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    In an emergency, perhaps. I see him as hitting better than Florimon, and being a butcher in the field. I doubt Gardy will put up with him for long, and would install a no-hit glove man instead.
    Waring looked pretty competent at 3B today. I wouldn't count him out on getting at least of cup of cofffee, ala Dinkleman/Bernier, should Plouffe happen to get nicked up or go on the 15 day DL... if he can hit a few bombs in ST and at Rochester..... and a roster spot opens up.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-01-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Do you remember who the starting third baseman was for Gardy for a good part of 2007 and 2008? Plouffe is a gold glover compared to him and Romero is better. Romero has good hands and his footwork is fine. His range is lacking, that's about it. Butcher he is not.
    -----

11. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-01-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I hope Plouffe either A) Makes himself a starter (a la Dozier 2013) or B) Sucks so much it's consensus he's gone next year. I just hope not C) OK and probably will be here again in 2015 even though he's below average.

Can Escobar play 3B? Because I'd like to see him get some reps there. I'd prefer not Bartlett. He really isn't a part of the future, is he? Also, Romero doesn't have a good enough bat for the majors in my opinion.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Why waste a 40-man spot? They have Sano and a host of utility guys (including Bartlett) to take time if Plouffe falls on his face.
    Sano they don't have! Waring may have a chance, since Plouffe is already on his face. Hopefully he'll surprise and have a decent season.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Sano they don't have! Waring may have a chance, since Plouffe is already on his face. Hopefully he'll surprise and have a decent season.
    Wait. Did I miss the first Plouffe face-plant of 2014 already?

Bartlett, Bernier, Romero, Waring. Not a lot exciting alternatives @ 3B. Of course, now we're also talking about our designated starter at SS going on the DL to start the season, so there's yet another compelling reason to consider signing a FA for experienced infield depth and keeping Plouffe challenged..... DeRosa, Inge, Drew?

Or does Santana just jump right through the backlog of mediocrity, get the start at SS, w/ Escobar backing up everyone and Bartlett next on the utility depth chart?

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-01-2014)

Liked 3,173 Times in 1,358 Posts
    We all need to cross our fingers and hope Plouffe transforms himself into a competent third baseman. Sano is most likely out of the equation until 2016 and the alternatives are pretty bad. Awful actually.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    Can Escobar play 3B? Because I'd like to see him get some reps there. I'd prefer not Bartlett. He really isn't a part of the future, is he? Also, Romero doesn't have a good enough bat for the majors in my opinion.
    Escobar does play 3B but is his worst position. SS is his best. He is 5'9" in platform shoes. You don't really want him in the hot corner, even though Gardenhire insists...
    -----

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    Can Escobar play 3B? Because I'd like to see him get some reps there.
    It's apparently the worst of the 3 IF positions he plays. SS is his best. I'd like to see him get a shot to beat out Florimon because he has shown some signs of being able to hit in the minors.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    deleted
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 03-01-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Escobar was with the Sox for over a year and he played mostly third base. I think that is a function of the players in front of him there, but the Sox thought he was competent at third. I wouldn't object to him starting a few games at third against right handers and I would expect that he would be superior to Plouffe in the field.

I would think that Escobar is in front of Bartlett in any battle for a utility position, but if both Bartlett and Escobar can play a decent outfield, the team might now be able to go without a utility outfielder (assuming Hicks gets sent to Rochester).

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    His range is lacking, that's about it. Butcher he is not.
    Was going by the minor league stats, which is often iffy. I'll go with your scouting report.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    We all need to cross our fingers and hope Plouffe transforms himself into a competent third baseman. Sano is most likely out of the equation until 2016 and the alternatives are pretty bad. Awful actually.
    I assume you meant 2015. Non-pitchers generally don't take 2 years to come back. That is unless you didn't plan on Sano being up at any point this year (prior to the injury).

Liked 3,173 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I assume you meant 2015. Non-pitchers generally don't take 2 years to come back. That is unless you didn't plan on Sano being up at any point this year (prior to the injury).
    No, I was expecting a debut late in 2014, everyday 3rd baseman by 2015. I now expect a years delay on that. I dont see much chance of significant development in 2014.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Waring is not going to be a major leaguer. Romero could end up being a good candidate to fill in as bench bat later this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast