Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plouffe

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe is just fine. Only question is if or when he gets hurt. Who would play there. Escobar would be solid defensively. Waring may be solid and has good power. Romero would be just a lesser version of Plouffe, offensively and defensively.

The options the Twins have aren't exciting, but they are likely better than Inge or Derosa.

The infield is pretty set, barring injury. If Florimon starts the season on the DL, Escobar likely starts and maybe Bartlett becomes the utility guy, though there's still a lot to be seen to know if he's better than Bernier (I kind of doubt it), and Beresford (I'd like to see him get a shot).

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Plouffe is just fine. Only question is if or when he gets hurt. Who would play there. Escobar would be solid defensively. Waring may be solid and has good power. Romero would be just a lesser version of Plouffe, offensively and defensively.

The options the Twins have aren't exciting, but they are likely better than Inge or Derosa.

The infield is pretty set, barring injury. If Florimon starts the season on the DL, Escobar likely starts and maybe Bartlett becomes the utility guy, though there's still a lot to be seen to know if he's better than Bernier (I kind of doubt it), and Beresford (I'd like to see him get a shot).
    Sure, Bartlett needs to prove it. But there's no way either Bernier or Beresford can hit anywhere close to Bartlett. I'd like to see Beresford get a chance at some point. But I'm much more optimistic about Bartlett than you. You can't teach his contact skills. Neither Bernier nor Beresford have it.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I should stay away from this thread... But... Too late now... I'm posting.

I think Plouffe has a ton of potential.. I think he's at least 30 HR power and I think he's at least .270 BA... I also think he could play better defense and even play it well above average.

He simply frustrates me more than any other Twin because I really believe he could be everything I think he could be. He needs to start getting more aggressive on D and less aggressive on O. Until he does... He's gonna bug me.

I absolutely believe the Twins should have brought in 3B competition this year just to push him. Sano getting hurt really sucks.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

4. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-02-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Sure, Bartlett needs to prove it. But there's no way either Bernier or Beresford can hit anywhere close to Bartlett. I'd like to see Beresford get a chance at some point. But I'm much more optimistic about Bartlett than you. You can't teach his contact skills. Neither Bernier nor Beresford have it.
    I like Bartlett. Was always a fan. My concern is more that he was hurt so much and hasn't played in nearly two years. I just want to see what he's got left, if anything. I wonder if Bartlett can put up the numbers in AAA this year that Beresford or Bernier put up there last year.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this is huge for Plouffe. Best case scenario he has a nice, healthy season showing good pop against lefties and more competent defense at third as well as the ability to move around the diamond to first and the corner outfield. If he has a breakout-ish season a la Dozier 2013, he could build a little value and the Twins could possibly move him for something while making way for Sano in a year and a half.

I wrote about his subject and my thoughts on the impact on the orgainzation over at my blog today. Hate to be that guy but I think I did a good job here covering the moving parts to this injury, so I'm going to give myself the plug. http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot...-thoughts.html
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Waring is not going to be a major leaguer. Romero could end up being a good candidate to fill in as bench bat later this season.
    Yes, but. When has that stopped the Twins from promoting for need in the recent past?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Huh. Bartlett, Bernier, Beresford. The Twins own new and improved version of the Filler-Bs?

Even though the apparent motivation to stage his comeback was that he was driving his kid's to soccer practice and driving his wife crazy hanging around the house all day....to get the 2nd utility job, all Bart-ie has to accomplish for Gardy this spring is show some slight semblance of his old self in order to preclude any consideration of the other "B's". Actually at this point, it's likely his job to lose, and with Florimon ailing, I think he's already unofficially penciled in.

9. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-02-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (03-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Bartlett. Was always a fan. My concern is more that he was hurt so much and hasn't played in nearly two years. I just want to see what he's got left, if anything. I wonder if Bartlett can put up the numbers in AAA this year that Beresford or Bernier put up there last year.
    Torn ACLs will derail careers, whether you are 18 or 34. But I often see a maturity after the long rehab that makes guys better. At least initially, his legs should be fresher and stronger than they were prior to injury.

As I said, he can hit. He's proven that. I'm more worried that he's lost a step from age than injury. I see him as a replacement for Caroroll with more power and speed. Beresford probably has the better glove. Bernier is a good story, but he's the very definition of AAAA.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Huh. Bartlett, Bernier, Beresford. The Twins own new and improved version of the Filler-Bs?
    Grin

I'm hoping that a bulked up, healed up Plouffe can seize this opportunity. A little extra power and a healthy left wrist might help him turn on those inside pitches. I wish him well.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was a make/break year for Plouffe and Parmelee. When you look at spots for the next core, DH really doesn't have someone in the short term, and if Hicks flops, there could be opening in RF. Either way, both of those guys need to step up. If they do, we have our DH, and we have some trade bait/insurance. Sano getting hurt has given Plouffe all of 2014 to figure things out, and possibly some of 2015. Prior to that, he was going to start feeling the heat come mid-season if Sano had come out swinging.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

likely better than Derosa.
    Reported for the following:
    Spreading mis information
    Lying
    Extreme sarcasm
    Trolling
    Blasphemy
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

14. These 6 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (03-02-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (03-02-2014), diehardtwinsfan (03-02-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-02-2014), Riverbrian (03-02-2014), USAFChief (03-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    The problem isn't that Plouffe is the starting 3Bman for the Twins. The problem is that the Twins starting lineup is filled with avg to below avg players. Dozier is headed into the season as one of the better hitters and he will barely top .300 OBP. On a good team Plouffe and Dozier would fill the bottom of the lineup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12